Author Topic: For Mr. Weimer (and everybody else)  (Read 2365 times)

L_Jonté

For Mr. Weimer (and everybody else)
« on: January 15, 2003, 11:04:26 AM »
From the Ninth Art Webzine archives...
Finder Keeper: An Interview with Carla Speed McNeil

Wes, you once asked me, "Why comics?"  Carla answers that question far better than I ever could.

"It was at university that McNeil gravitated towards comics as a career - something that the courses on offer couldn't really prepare her for. "Didn't want to make movies, because I love to draw," she says. "Didn't want to paint, wasn't satisfied by single images - I slowly came to understand that a single image is not a story. The more literature classes I took, the more I knew that a single image, even a large group of related images, was simply not enough.  The path led to telling stories with images, then - a rather narrow field."

"Didn't want to be a teeny cog in a Byzantine society, so that let out animation. Couldn't give up drawing, so that let out prose writing. I toyed with commercial art and scientific illustration, but those are also just single images. Strip comics don't work for the kind of story I wanted to tell. There really was no question of what I should do, once I got past animation.""

On a related note, Carla will be one of the GYRLS exhibiting with me at the Alternative Press Expo in San Francisco on February 1st and 2nd.  Everybody within reach of SF is encouraged to come!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 01:23:46 PM »
If Wes wanted a General Weimer-Inspired Blather forum I'm sure we could arrange that but we all just spam the Solaufein forum by convention, I guess.

Wes?

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

L_Jonté

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 06:01:28 PM »
If Wes wanted a General Weimer-Inspired Blather forum I'm sure we could arrange that...
                   Or, I could just start adding "Solaufein rocks!" to my every post.   :P                    

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 02:55:53 PM »
It's been pretty much traditional since I came to this forum to spam on occasion, why change a fun, and sometimes informative, thing?

Tsuru

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 02:57:33 PM »
We're "traditional" now? Can't have that, we're entirely unconventional :P                    

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 03:16:06 AM »
We'll call it an unconventionally impromptu tradition then :)

Tsuru

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 11:54:36 AM »
Mmm... that'll work. For now ;)                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »
And again I remind local folks that...

I will be exhibiting at the Alternative Press Expo, at the Concourse Exhibition Center in San Francisco on February 1st and 2nd.                    

Sphira

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 04:52:51 PM »
I'd love to go, but I'm cross country in Florida, learning how to count. *nods* Good luck tho. ^_^                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 09:44:25 PM »
S'okay Sphira!  There will be other APEs.   B)                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: