Author Topic: error installing valen mod  (Read 4211 times)

messy

error installing valen mod
« on: January 06, 2003, 12:57:46 PM »
allo

i am getting an error messege when i try to install the valen mod. i have the latest game patch and lots of other add-ons (xp cap remover, etc.).

help?                    

Kiki

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 03:18:20 PM »
Can you describe what the error message is?                    

messy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 12:40:04 PM »
sure :)

installing tob dialogue.
compiling 1 dialogue
[action list near line 98, column 44 of valen/valentob.d] parse error at line 4 column 44-44
near text: ]
[reallyforcespell] argument [cleric_summon_deva] not found in [spell.ids]
error: parsing [valen/valentob.d]: parsing.parse_error
error installing [valen}, rolling back to previous state

i have tob installed...                    

messy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 12:40:55 PM »
i sent an email to wes when i first got the error msg (a week ago), but i haven't heard from him. is he generally prompt about replying to email?

i want to play valen!  :(                    

Kiki

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 01:25:38 PM »
Wes is on vacation, so he probably isn't checking his e-mail or these boards very regularly.

Since no one else seems to be stepping up with advice, I'll give you some suggestions that are potentially worthless. But they probably won't leave you worse off than you already are, and my errors will attract people who actually know what they're talking about and who may be able to help you. :)

Go to Wes's web site and download the latest version of WeiDU to the same folder where you currently have your Setup-Valen.exe. Rename the WeiDU exe file to Setup-Valen.exe. Then try installing her again.

Good luck!                    

insomnia

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 08:59:00 PM »
Heh. . .I got similar error messages with my last re-install. It started with a newer version of WeiDU (I think around 92). When I used an older version things mostly installed better (except Kelsey 1.5).

Haven't tried out the last two versions of WeiDu yet, so they might work better.

I was thinking my problem was that I was on a Mac using VPC, so this might not help at all. . .

Kiki

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 12:13:27 AM »
I know that the latest version of WeiDU was supposed to address some parsing error issues, which is why I suggested upgrading ... hopefully it will work.                    

messy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2003, 12:31:48 PM »
fanx, kiki. i'll give it a shot  :)                    

messy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2003, 12:52:03 PM »
it worked!  :D

*does happy dance*

*worships kiki*

one question- i asked valen to stop charming people, but she still does it... why? also, she sometimes stops attacking people for no reason... wtf?

fanx  :)                    

GoblinToe

Re: error installing valen mod
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 07:44:36 PM »

I also told Valen to stop charming people, but she won't stop.

I think she's causing my summoned devas to attack me, and that's a BIG problem, as you can imagine--those things are tough.
I think what's happening is the Deva is attacking a monster, and then Valen charms it, but the problem is that when Valen charms monsters they CONTINUE to attack their ORIGINAL target....so they continue attacking the Deva until the Deva gets pissed and turns red.  Major problems then as the Deva starts mopping up your team.

My solution was to just turn off Valen's charming, but she won't stop even after I tell her.  Anyone know a work around to this?

Btw - Valen is great so far!  I switched her character model to Bodhi's with ShadowKeeper so she'd look more vampire-like, and have been having a blast with her in the party.  I don't use her claws at all, though, because I refuse to lose any loot when their level drain ability chunks corpses.  Which is just fine, because Valen is plenty strong using daggers and swords.  The level drain ability just makes her insanely too powerful.  I think she'd be much better with a few more hitpoints, and toning those claws down.

I don't know how others feel, but level draining is out of the question for me as long as it blows corpses up along with loot.

Offline Mangle Me Elmo

• Planewalker
Re: error installing valen mod
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 04:09:11 AM »
No way. Level draining is awesome.  I'm to the point where Valen's claws hit as +4 weapon and drain 4 levels at a time.  And with her THAC0 and fast regenerating, she's unstoppable.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: