Author Topic: ambition dialogue, part 1  (Read 17233 times)

Kiki

ambition dialogue, part 1
« on: January 05, 2003, 05:52:16 PM »
This is a cut at the main dialogue flow. Side branches will be added (someday). Thanks to Lisa, Domi, and Doewen for inspiration; I borrowed some lines from an old thread.

------------------------

Solaufein: CharName, I have been thinking about the time that Bodhi captured me.

PC:
1. Hm, can't say that I remember that specific incident in all the chaos that follows in your wake.
2. Yes, I remember it rather well.
3. Seeing you change so dramatically was quite a shock at first. But I'm hardly one to talk, seeing as I have an unfortunate habit of becoming an avatar of Bhaal every now and then.

Solaufein: I am sorry that I caused you any pain, or any fear for either your safety or mine. At that point, we did not know each other well, and I cannot thank you enough for trusting me enough to restore me to life.

PC:
1. You were part of my party. You trusted me to lead you, and if I had never brought you to face Bodhi, you wouldn't have been her victim. I owed it to you to restore you if I could.
2. Bodhi was an incredibly powerful vampire, Solaufein, especially with the taint of Bhaal that she had from possessing Imoen's soul. I'm not sure anyone could have resisted her.
3. You have never given me cause to regret it, Solaufein.

Solaufein: Since coming to the surface, I had nearly forgotten the darker parts of my history, as I was no longer surrounded by treachery and hate. Bodhi found all my shadows, and marshaled them to further her purpose. I still have dreams about how I unleashed my new powers upon you and our other companions, and the feeling of horror when I realized that part of me, no matter how tiny, actually enjoyed it.

PC:
1. I have shadows in my own soul, Solaufein. I think I understand some of what you must feel.

Solaufein: We both have had to confront darkness and demons in our hearts. It is part of what draws me to you. Though you are not drow, you are mastering your own struggle against committing evil acts.

Solaufein: Bodhi reminded me of how corruptible the mortal soul is, a lesson I thought I had learned some time ago. But that is a conversation for another time. Let us talk now of happier things.                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Jan 5 2003, 11:10 PM--]

L_Jonté

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 05:58:44 PM »
Hey!  I like that!                    

Kiki

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 06:01:41 PM »
You'll be glad to see that not *all* of your lines end up in Imoen's mouth.                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 06:06:04 PM »
Thank you m'dear.   :)

Of course, it's not like Imoen could manage anything as serious as the conversation above.  Well, not without bursting into flame aftwarward anyway.

B)                    

Sphira

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 07:58:38 PM »
Me likes. Sounds like it's just a post-Bodhi thing, tho. That's good! ^^                    

Tsuru

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 08:34:08 PM »
I like too, or is that three?                    

Doewen

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 05:22:09 PM »
Beautiful.  I just love it!                    

Kiki

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 05:33:14 PM »
Aw, shucks. Thanks for the nice comments. :)                    

Kismet

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 09:30:17 PM »
Recalling some of the Vamp-Solaufein dialog, it seemed like it was more than just a "tiny" piece of himself that enjoyed his new powers.   It's definitely a good topic for a dialog though and I like what you've written so far.  I'm interested in what you would write for the not-so-good PC response branches too.

Sphira

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 11:16:41 PM »
Or mayhap a little less forgiving? -edited for oddness-                    

[!--EDIT|Sphira|Jan 7 2003, 07:22 AM--]

Kiki

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 11:19:43 PM »
Recalling some of the Vamp-Solaufein dialog, it seemed like it was more than just a "tiny" piece of himself that enjoyed his new powers.
I will look at the vamp dialogue again. In general, this will probably get reworked some, as the rest of the dialogues develop (one or two more).

It's definitely a good topic for a dialog though and I like what you've written so far.  I'm interested in what you would write for the not-so-good PC response branches too.
Thanks! You mean, new options for non-good PCs, or responses to the smart-ass options?                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2003, 01:09:22 AM »
It's definitely a good topic for a dialog though and I like what you've written so far.  I'm interested in what you would write for the not-so-good PC response branches too.
Thanks! You mean, new options for non-good PCs, or responses to the smart-ass options?
                   I believe she means "replies other than those saying 'oh, sweetie, it wasn't YOUR fault.'"                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kismet

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2003, 07:33:54 AM »
I believe she means "replies other than those saying 'oh, sweetie, it wasn't YOUR fault.'"
Yes, that's pretty much what I mean.  I'm sure this dialog will be happening a while after the whole vampire business so possibly my PC would have cooled off by then, but her first inclination on restoring Solaufein was to rip him a new one rather than just tell him "well, these things happen."                    

Kiki

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2003, 11:05:34 AM »
OK, I see what you mean. If my PC were that pissed off, it is unlikely that she and Solaufein would even be having this conversation. :) For me, the Solaufein romance was already well advanced by the time we got to Bodhi, so I wasn't angry with him, I was angry with Bodhi.

As others have said, I think that the most effective place for what-the-hell-were-you-doing comments would be the Solaufein dialogue immediately following his resurrection. But I will be glad to suggest some of those options, for PCs who are still angry.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2003, 11:11:36 AM »
Wes may have an allergy to "forced fights" but I think there's plenty of room to have credible options in a romance track for someone to give a less-than-glowing endorsement.                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kismet

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2003, 11:20:15 AM »
OK, I see what you mean. If my PC were that pissed off, it is unlikely that she and Solaufein would even be having this conversation. :) For me, the Solaufein romance was already well advanced by the time we got to Bodhi, so I wasn't angry with him, I was angry with Bodhi.
Hmmm, yes but presumably you're writing this for more than just your PC?  It's not to say that my PC wouldn't forgive him, but she'd certainly want to vent on him first. :)  And for me, the Bodhi fight happened really early in the Solaufein romance, practically right after I picked him up.                    

Kiki

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2003, 12:20:34 PM »
It's not to say that my PC wouldn't forgive him, but she'd certainly want to vent on him first.
:)  Your wish is my command. Here's one quick take of a possible branch:

Solaufein: CharName, I have been thinking about the time that Bodhi captured me.

PC:
4. Yes, I was pretty tempted to just leave you there to rot.

Solaufein: I ... see. Yes, I can understand that. We hardly knew each other, and it would have seemed like I was betraying you to one of your great enemies.

PC:
1. Damn right it seemed like betrayal.
2. It felt like you were deserting me for the winning team.

Solaufein: You do know that I was taken against my will, don't you?

PC:
1. Well, you seemed to enjoy it a little too much for that to be completely true. I have a hard time believing you had no choice in the matter.

Solaufein: Surely by now you know me better than that.

PC:
1. Maybe I do now ... but at the time I certainly didn't. You spent your whole life in the Underdark, after all. Bodhi offered you the kind of power that most drow would kill for.
2. Come on, Solaufein, don't you remember that little speech you gave me right before you leaped at my throat? It didn't exactly sound like you were fighting her thrall too hard.

Oooh, this is fun to write. And it's going to get us to the same setup for the ambition discussion as the sweet forgiving route. To be continued ...

Wes may have an allergy to "forced fights" but I think there's plenty of room to have credible options in a romance track for someone to give a less-than-glowing endorsement.
Agreed. A couple can certainly have non-petty conflicts.                    

Tsuru

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2003, 01:18:31 PM »
I think it's safe to say our Kiki's muse is back, alive and well. Now about that Master Wraith dialogue... ;)                    

Kismet

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2003, 01:35:36 PM »
Very nice!  Although you do have Solaufein as a lot less verbose than normal...good for CharName to barely let him get a word in edgewise for a change. :)                    

Kiki

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2003, 01:48:51 PM »
Dunno about you, but when I'm mad, I don't let the other person make speeches. :) But if you feel like it's too OOC for Solaufein to not steamroller over the PC, I could make it wordier?

I think it's safe to say our Kiki's muse is back, alive and well. Now about that Master Wraith dialogue...
You people are impossible to please. :) The muse is more interested in this than in Phaere right now, although the original idea I had for the Master Wraith dialogue is not unrelated.                    

Tsuru

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2003, 01:55:29 PM »
You people are impossible to please. :) The muse is more interested in this than in Phaere right now, although the original idea I had for the Master Wraith dialogue is not unrelated.
                   Hey, my muse did *her* part :P

I wonder if we named those critters if they'd be more willing to be interested in what *we* want them interested in ;)                    

Kismet

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2003, 02:08:09 PM »
Dunno about you, but when I'm mad, I don't let the other person make speeches. :) But if you feel like it's too OOC for Solaufein to not steamroller over the PC, I could make it wordier?
No, no, I agree with you there.   It just might be neat to see the PC cut off Solaufein mid-sentence though.                    

Kiki

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2003, 02:22:03 PM »
Consider it done.                    

Kiki

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2003, 10:54:40 AM »
new dialogue suggestion:

PC:
1. Maybe I do now ... but at the time I certainly didn't. You spent your whole life in the Underdark, after all. Bodhi offered you the kind of power that most drow would kill for.
2. Come on, Solaufein, don't you remember that little speech you gave me right before you leaped at my throat? It didn't exactly sound like you were fighting her thrall too hard.

Weimer:
1. Kiki, this direction sounds fine, and it might be something I'd include in the mod. I'd like to see more.
2. God, this sucks. Solaufein would never stoop to this kind of discussion. Stop wasting your time on this.
3. This could be a good topic for a dialogue, but I'd suggest a different approach. Try this instead ...
4. (fill in the blank)

:)                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Jan 9 2003, 02:56 PM--]

Sphira

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2003, 10:26:30 PM »
Well, I for one would like to see Sola say something back. Something not as meek. He's a drow... and as we've seen with Phaere, he has a nasty streak. I don't think it should be a break up thing but a sharp reminder of the Slayer and such...                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: