Author Topic: Valen Dual Wielding Claws  (Read 10630 times)

T.G.Maestro

Valen Dual Wielding Claws
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2003, 11:00:45 AM »
QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 12 2003, 02:10 PM)
Well, I think It would be OK to give her 2 unlimited spec abilities - CLAWS (like SpirHammer, Flame Blade or Melf) and REMOVE CLAWS. No hassle and robust. 

I agree. Her claws should be summoned weapons that override whatever other weapons she is wielding. By using the remove claws ability then she can use her throwing knives etc. It also pretty much guarantees that other people can't use Valen's claws (unless they SK the abilities onto their character, but thats cheating...).
A great idea, it should be considered!

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2003, 11:17:14 AM »
Perhaps her claws can progress in the same way as a monk's unarmed attack?

Greater levels = more attacks/round ; greater % chance of invoking level drain attack / other types of special attack

« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 11:19:43 AM by Thorium Dragon »

Kish

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2003, 12:34:26 PM »
Perhaps her claws can progress in the same way as a monk's unarmed attack?
They already do.  They go up in terms of what creatures they are able to hit (from counting as a +1 weapon to counting as a +4 weapon) and in terms of how many levels they drain (from 1 to 5).

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2003, 02:28:44 PM »
They already do.

Not exactly.  Perhaps, I wasn't clear.

I was suggesting Valen's claws be "armed" in the same way a monk uses his fists- leaving an empty weapon slot and selecting the fist icon, rather than be a separate item that is equipped.

This would, IMO, leave more room for customization and balancing of the character.

I don't know if the claws work this way already, but another possibility to modify the claws are to assign a % chance of a level-drain attack. (i.e. 20% = 20 percent of hits force a save vs. level drain) This way, Valen's level drain attack can increase gradually and each level will give the PC a little more to look forward to.

This method also addresses the question of whether Valen's claws should be "dual-weilded".  Like the monks fists (and feet) the claws would be considered a composite of her unarmed attack instead of a weapon that is held in either hand.

Hope that makes more sense  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 02:29:51 PM by Thorium Dragon »

Kish

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2003, 03:11:15 PM »
I don't know if the claws work this way already, but another possibility to modify the claws are to assign a % chance of a level-drain attack. (i.e. 20% = 20 percent of hits force a save vs. level drain)
That was suggested awhile ago, and Wes' response was that he doesn't like percentage chances of a special effect.
This way, Valen's level drain attack can increase gradually and each level will give the PC a little more to look forward to.
That's not the case when she goes from draining one level to draining five levels?   :blink:
This method also addresses the question of whether Valen's claws should be "dual-weilded".  Like the monks fists (and feet) the claws would be considered a composite of her unarmed attack instead of a weapon that is held in either hand.
That is what it's defined as already.

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2003, 06:12:58 PM »
This way, Valen's level drain attack can increase gradually and each level will give the PC a little more to look forward to.
That's not the case when she goes from draining one level to draining five levels?

The key words here, were "gradually" and "each level".  According to the Readme.txt, vampiric abilities improve every 1.5 million XP.

Of the ideas put forth in this thread so far, I really like the suggestion that the claws be summoned weapons!  A spell effect and an avatar change to the female vampire could also be written in, if one so desired.

I think that would be neat  :)  

Novio

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2003, 05:11:46 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents. :)

First, Valen's claws were written as dagger weapons and not coded as hand-to-hand like the Monk class. I don't think anyone has been able to crack that code. Be that as it may, it's not unrealistic that Valen should be able to strike with both hands (I'm going to leave dual-wield out as it implies using two weapons, and not claws). Yes, it would be very unbalancing but this could easily be countered by balancing the effects of her attacks. That means changing the level drain or forcing a save situation with every attack (which I was forced to do after witnessing for the very first time Valen taking care of ToB literally for me).

The summoning idea works very well IMHO. A vampire can choose whether to extend his claws or not during a fight like in Masquerade.

T.G.Maestro

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2003, 12:56:13 AM »
The summoning idea works very well IMHO. A vampire can choose whether to extend his claws or not during a fight like in Masquerade
Good point, I guess this "could" be implemented.
If one would ever change Valen in the future, that is <_< .

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: