Author Topic: 'Romance' Resources, Help Needed  (Read 7350 times)

Kiki

'Romance' Resources, Help Needed
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2002, 02:39:05 AM »
That's just fine.  We can do it that way.  What books are you thinking of?
                   Disclaimer: This seems to be a big topic for young adult fiction but not so much for novels intended for the over-16 crowd, so most of my suggestions are going to be based on that.

If you can turn off your hoke-o-meter, there are the first couple of Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery. The Emily trilogy by the same author, the last book in particular, are less sappy and more to the point. Some other ideas occurred to me while I was in the bookstore, but I am unable to cudgel them out of my memory right now. Will post if they come back to me.

In a different medium, the first two seasons of Ally McBeal have some germane moments.

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2002, 02:57:05 AM »
Check Elizabeth A. Lynn's Watchtower series. If you ignore the fact that it focuses more on the sex than the emotion, and the fact that all of it occurs between between same-sex couples, there is some agonizing-over of love between close people, brothers, actually, but it could apply to childhood companions. I think that occurs in Dancers of Arun. Fact is, I think most authors shy from childhood friends becoming lovers. I am an ecclectic reader, and have only run across subjects like this a few times. IMO, it would be rather uncomfortable to pursue a relationship along these lines due to the what-if-it-ruins-our-friendship factor. She would be very tentative about expressing the way she feels, perhaps springing strange-seeming personal thoughts, or questions about how CharName feels about her or what she does, and then shying away, ending the conversation before it can be answered. I don't think that kind of behavior would be OOC for her either, because often such bubbly high spirits mask uncertainty and outright fear of rejection. Just putting in my 2 cents.                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2002, 08:11:19 AM »
"IMO, it would be rather uncomfortable to pursue a relationship along these lines due to the what-if-it-ruins-our-friendship factor. She would be very tentative about expressing the way she feels, perhaps springing strange-seeming personal thoughts, or questions about how CharName feels about her or what she does, and then shying away, ending the conversation before it can be answered. I don't think that kind of behavior would be OOC for her either, because often such bubbly high spirits mask uncertainty and outright fear of rejection. Just putting in my 2 cents. "

and now we all know exactly why mod makers love the idea of a imoen romance....the challenge of writing such a interesting and angst filled relationship adds a depth of complexity and intelligence that is just not going to be in other npc romances...                    

Kiki

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2002, 12:18:53 AM »
Judging from a post in Quitch's forum, it sounds like this mod has died an early death?                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: