Author Topic: Boo2 and monsters  (Read 2078 times)

serjeLeBlade

Boo2 and monsters
« on: December 11, 2002, 09:05:37 AM »
I'm noticing that many monsters do not spawn when Boo2 passes by "scouting".

This makes scouting pretty less useful, and can lead to embarassing (read deadly) situations...

Why does it happen? Is it normal? That's not the way familiars used to work IIRC...

(Am I remembering incorrectly?)   :unsure:                    

[!--EDIT|serjeLeBlade|Dec 11 2002, 05:06 PM--]

Althernai

Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 10:07:56 AM »
I've never actually met Boo2, but is she fast? There is a generic IE bug that makes it so that monsters do not spawn if you are moving too quickly - it is most visible on the Chromatic Level of Watcher's Keep. Also, monsters fail to spawn when a Projected Image walks alongside a Wizard Eye, so I'd assume you actually need a party member to trigger spawning.                    

serjeLeBlade

Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 10:14:17 AM »
Yes, she moves like she's permanently hasted.
Uhm, I have to try if it happens casting haste on a familiar.
It would be nice if it could be fixed somehow, anyway...

Althernai

Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 10:29:58 AM »
It would be nice if it could be fixed somehow, anyway...
                   I've spoken to Wes about this before (thieves not spawning in Improved Ilyich when you are hasted and then coming out of nowhere :angry: ) and I think he said it is inherent in the engine and cannot be fixed.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 11:59:19 AM »
Well, it could be fixed if you manually re-wrote every ARE file to have really huge trigger sections.

Basically, press Ctrl-4 sometime during the game with Debug Mode enabled. Then go to some area an d look around. For example, take the area with the diseased followers of amaunator in it. Are you travel to the right from the beginning, there are random encounters with yuan-ti or mummies. If you look closely, you will see this *really thin* bar in the middle of the hallway. You have to step on that to trigger the monsters. If you walk to quickly over it, you miss them.

This is a serious design flaw in these ARE files. Sorry.                    

Userunfriendly

Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 06:46:30 PM »
serje, you can actually exploit this....you guys knew that was coming, eh???

using mislead and impr haste stacked with haste allows a sorc or mage to bypass the spawn trigger for certain areas, so when the rest of the party steps on the spawn trigger, the lich or undead suddenly spawn in the middle of 4 or more delay blast fireballs...kills smarter liches, as they are pretty helpless until they've spawned and start buffing...hehhehehhe :lol:  :D  :P  B)  :rolleyes:

its not a bug, its a feature!!!! darned creeping featurism....(i wonder who will understand that reference....hehehh)                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 06:59:30 PM »
Oh, trust me: we here at WeiDU central are only too familiar with Creeping Featurism.

But for the benefit of the studio audience:

http://www.clueless.com/jargon3.0.0/creepi..._featurism.html

The second definition is WeiDU in a nutshell.                    

serjeLeBlade

Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 03:59:14 AM »
I found that having her running back and forth a little more helps finding things (both monsters and traps) so the problem is fixed as far as I'm concerned...
Thanks for all the advice :)

Another question: I tried to ctrl-q her in an attempt of finding out what exactly were her abilities, and I found an odd thing: Boo2 has a good score in "set traps", but no set traps icon shows in her special abilities bar.
Otoh, her pickpocket skill is 0, so we can try to use it but it will always fail!
Is this intentional or maybe an error?                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 10:46:20 AM »
Oh, trust me: we here at WeiDU central are only too familiar with Creeping Featurism.
                   Awww, but Wes, things really ARE better than the days when CHAIN2 was CHAIN, APPENDI was APPEND, and weights were munged. :)                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Boo2 and monsters
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 12:45:20 PM »
Her "score" in Set Traps may be just from her Dex mod. It doesn't matter -- she's *way too small* to be putting together a deadfall or a snare.

Similarly, if you've ever seen a hamster you'll know that even a super-intelligent one could not possibly pick-pocket anything from a conscious target. Even a comotose figure would provide a vast challenge. :-) This is was my design choice to nix her pickpocketing.

Personally, I feel that even the ferret's pickpocket score is way too high. Unless the thief owning the ferret *holds the ferret* up to my pocket-level, there's no way that thing is climbing up my leg to get to my coin pouch without me noticing. And if the thief is that close, it may as well be associated with the thief and not the animal. Anyway. A ferret might be able to pull some things off a comotose individual and come back with them, but that's about it. I know they are really flexible and quick ... but being able to bend through bars is not the same as being able to take a ring of my fingers with little paws without me noticing.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: