Author Topic: Muahaha!  (Read 65414 times)

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2002, 10:34:53 PM »
Oh my dear, you must read this...
I have taken a temporary hiatus from (over-)analyzing things here, so I will merely say that this is a lovely article (thanks for the pointer!) that addresses some important issues while seemingly remaining stuck unawares in a mire of heterosexuality. "I think that the sexual love between a man and a woman is the most powerful force in the universe," she says. I'll leave that with a quote from Sappho that could be construed as suggestively on-topic: "The moon has set, and the Pleiades; it is midnight, the time is going by and I recline alone."
                   I know.  Blame it on the particular genre and be glad there is at least some progress.  Unfortunately, there is a very strict set of guidelines that most romance editors are (hide)bound to.  There was a time when these things were rarely ever more than 200 pages of boredom finsihed off with an alluded-to missionary-position interlude in the marriage bed.  *snore*                    

Sphira

Muahaha!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2002, 10:49:28 PM »
Urp! It's not my fault, it really isn't! Lisa just *had* to do this when I'm working on lovetalks..ROFL!
                   *tilts head* And what lovetalks are you working on, mayhap, so I know when to cover my virgin eyes? *innocent look* [_[  Or am I being too nosey? ^_^                    

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2002, 10:49:44 PM »
People are getting all shocked over adultry and masturbation in a romance novel? Yeah, masturbation isn't a keen topic and all but hissy fits over adultry? (No, you guys aren't hissy fitting but the publishers are?) What was the Bridges of Madison County about? Or did this fly over my head because of various (social/mental/chronological) reasons ? *le sigh* People.

No TBoMC was a mass market kind of novel rather than a "Romance" novel.  It was marketed differenntly and to (more or less) a differnent audience.

And you are exactly right about how I made the pic.   :)                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2002, 10:55:11 PM »
*tilts head* And what lovetalks are you working on, mayhap, so I know when to cover my virgin eyes? *innocent look* [_][  Or am I being too nosey? ^_^
Not at all :) I posted about him over on the FWP boards under Mod Ideas. He's still very much in the early stages, but I have a good idea where I'm going with him.

Nah, no need to cover the eyes, I doubt anything Lisa inspires me to write tonight with that drawing of hers will make it into the real dialogs..LOL! Well...not much of it anyways ;)

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2002, 10:58:13 PM »
Aw c'mon!  Let your inner perv come out and play!   B)                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2002, 11:02:24 PM »
Aw c'mon!  Let your inner perv come out and play!   B)
                   (coughcough) I refuse to write the first X-rated mod! (Or has that been done already?) R-rated maybe...but not X! I won't be tempted, I won't! Well, maybe a little bit ;)                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2002, 12:31:44 AM »
So help me if I start writing x-rated dialogs, I'm gonna blame 'em on you, woman! ROFL! (wonders why her mind won't get off this track once it gets going)
Oh my dear, you must read this...
No fair! You guys had a party without me!

Tsuru, didn't I send you the link to this? I swear, it was part of a post-modern lit class I took in college.

Very nice, Lisa! Maybe Ghreyfein should add this to the Anomen/Kelsey duel.                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2002, 12:34:46 AM »
No fair! You guys had a party without me!

Tsuru, didn't I send you the link to this? I swear, it was part of a post-modern lit class I took in college.

Very nice, Lisa! Maybe Ghreyfein should add this to the Anomen/Kelsey duel.
I was wondering where you were, but at least you're here now ;)

Thanks, you mentioned it, but not the link. Marked and will read!                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2002, 12:46:31 AM »
The bodice rippers *are* a lot more explicit than they used to be, but masturbation is one topic that I've rarely seen in them. I read them for research, I tell you, research! (yeah, they'll believe that one.. LOL!) Come to think on it, it's usually the "bad woman" who is an enemy of the heroine who is the one who commits adultery, not the heroine and her hero :)
Let's face it, some heroic guy sweeping an ordinary woman off her feet is a lot closer to most women's fantasies than masturbation. And while plenty of women commit adultery, no little girl sits around thinking, "Gee, I'd really like Homewrecker Barbie for Christmas."                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Dec 3 2002, 12:58 AM--]

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2002, 12:48:14 AM »
I was wondering where you were, but at least you're here now ;)
                   Yeah, I'm busy on Monday nights, so no more good stuff getting posted while I'm away, OK?                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2002, 01:53:32 AM »
Let's face it, some heroic guy sweeping an ordinary woman off her feet is a lot closer to most women's fantasies than masturbation. And while plenty of women commit adultery, no little girl sits around thinking, "Gee, I'd really like Homewrecker Barbie for Christmas."
Absolutely.  And not necessarily heroic, but just.... something. Dashing, charismatic, brooding, sweet, even blind to the fact that the heroine is madly in love with him and many other quirks of persona, there's always something in the hero that draws a woman to him, even if she won't admit it to herself at first.  I can remember reading some where I wondered to myself what the devil she sees in this guy, till about halfway or so through the book ;) In any event, as long as he sweeps her off her feet in the end, I'm a happy camper!

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2002, 01:54:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm busy on Monday nights, so no more good stuff getting posted while I'm away, OK?
(tries to put on a properly ashamed face) Sowwy .. will try :D                    

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2002, 08:22:22 AM »

Ma'am!  Yes ma'am!   B)                    

Kaylord

Muahaha!
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2002, 12:51:27 PM »
Let's face it, some heroic guy sweeping an ordinary woman off her feet is a lot closer to most women's fantasies than masturbation.
Ahem. Here a litte male contribution...

"I´ll do what I must, when I must. Know this well!"

To haunt you Soula-Fans for evermore... LOL!                    

[!--EDIT|Kaylord|Dec 3 2002, 08:53 PM--]

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2002, 01:20:23 PM »
AUGH!  Kaylord that was evil!  EEEEEVIL!                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2002, 01:45:32 PM »
Oh God. Someone change the sound set, quick!

Ma'am! Yes ma'am!
Finally, some proper respect around here! :)

Tsuru dear, you need to stop reading bodice rippers. They'll just rot your mental teeth. Read Possession by A.S. Byatt, a good old-fashioned literary mystery/romance about Victorian poets and modern-day scholars (complete with dark little fairy tales, passable Emily Dickinson ripoffs, and not-overly-interesting blank verse), Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner.

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2002, 02:16:03 PM »
Tsuru dear, you need to stop reading bodice rippers. They'll just rot your mental teeth. Read Possession by A.S. Byatt, a good old-fashioned literary mystery/romance about Victorian poets and modern-day scholars (complete with dark little fairy tales, passable Emily Dickinson ripoffs, and not-overly-interesting blank verse), Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner.
Kiki, sweetie, what else would one read in a nice bubblebath? ;) After dealing with the partisan-bashing-political-addicts all day, I *need* mindless fluff, believe me! LOL!

The books I *buy* are very different genres, believe me. I tend to drive himself nuts with books in various states of being read all over the house.  He even built me a bookshelf over the sofa in an attempt to collect them all in one place (Notice I said *attempt* (snirk).

(Besides, those bodice rippers haven't hurt Morgan, now have they? ;) )                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2002, 02:16:47 PM »
AUGH!  Kaylord that was evil!  EEEEEVIL!
                   Yeah, sheesh, who let those males in here! ;)                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2002, 05:14:33 PM »
Kiki, sweetie, what else would one read in a nice bubblebath? ;) After dealing with the partisan-bashing-political-addicts all day, I *need* mindless fluff, believe me! LOL!

The books I *buy* are very different genres, believe me. I tend to drive himself nuts with books in various states of being read all over the house.  He even built me a bookshelf over the sofa in an attempt to collect them all in one place (Notice I said *attempt* (snirk).

(Besides, those bodice rippers haven't hurt Morgan, now have they? ;) )
I have the same book-clutter problem in my house. I've run out of bookshelf space and have tried to institute a no-net-gain book policy, but I'm failing miserably. This weekend I was looking through one of those home remodeling books and saw a photo of my fantasy room: sunlight streaming in through giant windows, floor-to-ceiling bookcases, and the only furniture was a big comfy chair. Sigh.

No, I've yet to see any mention of heaving bosoms or inadvertent glimpses of muscular chests in your Morgan lovetalks, thankfully. :)

What kind of work do you do where you're driven to bodice rippers?                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2002, 05:36:47 PM »
I have the same book-clutter problem in my house. I've run out of bookshelf space and have tried to institute a no-net-gain book policy, but I'm failing miserably. This weekend I was looking through one of those home remodeling books and saw a photo of my fantasy room: sunlight streaming in through giant windows, floor-to-ceiling bookcases, and the only furniture was a big comfy chair. Sigh.
                   Oh that sounds like heaven! My problem is I just cannot resist certain books, like the newest Anne Rice, and there goes more bookshelf space (sigh) Not to mention my obsession with getting all my videos on DVD ;) Oh dear, I wonder if I can hide yet another box from him when it arrives...LOL!

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2002, 05:54:00 PM »
I tend to drive himself nuts with books in various states of being read all over the house.  He even built me a bookshelf over the sofa in an attempt to collect them all in one place (Notice I said *attempt* (snirk).

I have the same book-clutter problem in my house. I've run out of bookshelf space and have tried to institute a no-net-gain book policy, but I'm failing miserably.

HA!  Amatures!  :D

We have bookshelves overflowing in every room of this teeny abode.  We have books in storage on the porch and in the shed just waiting for the day when we have a bigger house so we can bring them out again.  We have more books than anything else and are continually bringing in more.  What can I say?  It's love.   :wub:                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2002, 06:02:26 PM »
HA!  Amatures!  :D

We have bookshelves overflowing in every room of this teeny abode.  We have books in storage on the porch and in the shed just waiting for the day when we have a bigger house so we can bring them out again.  We have more books than anything else and are continually bringing in more.  What can I say?  It's love.   :wub:
Hey, wait one minute here, you wench, I happen to have books that have been in boxes in the shed since I moved here, books all over every room in the house and stacked three deep on bookshelves! :D Not to mention various books that we *both* own..LOL! Amateur my foot! The moment that poor man builds me a new bookcase or a shelf, it's filled ;)

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2002, 07:26:41 PM »
I humbly concede to both Lisa and Tsuru. A few bookshelves, a messy heap in the bedroom, and an untidy pile in the garage cannot even begin to compete with the state of your dwellings.

How was your all-nighter with Jayne, Lisa?                    

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2002, 07:35:34 PM »
It was not nearly all night.  I goofed off talking to a certain Jason C. on AIM for a while, then I got sucked into trying to get my 4-year-old to go to sleep.  She took a late nap and was thus WIRED FOR SOUND until nearly midnight.  It wore me out and I collapsed.

I'll be trying again tonight.  More coffee!  :lol:                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2002, 07:40:25 PM »
It was not nearly all night.  I goofed off talking to a certain Jason C. on AIM for a while, then I got sucked into trying to get my 4-year-old to go to sleep.  She took a late nap and was thus WIRED FOR SOUND until nearly midnight.  It wore me out and I collapsed.

I'll be trying again tonight.  More coffee!  :lol:
                   Ach. Thank goodness I only have to deal with the male of this household and two guinea pigs whose only demand is veggies every time I walk by their house..LOL!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: