Author Topic: Muahaha!  (Read 65520 times)

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2003, 06:51:13 PM »
And even more to add to my book list. This thing is gonna be big as a book itself by the time I'm done.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Muahaha!
« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2003, 06:51:26 PM »
I came up as Bleys. The Dworkin one is really scary. :-)                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2003, 06:54:08 PM »
I am Dworkin.

Ok, somebody tell me what that means.  :huh:
from some random fan page:

Corwin's grandsire and father to Oberon.   Dworkin was a Lord of Chaos before his betrayal.  He created Amber by inscribing the Pattern with his own blood, using the Jewel Of Judgement.

Dworkin created the Trumps for Oberon's children and instructed them in its use. His most attentive students were Bleys, Brand and Fiona.

I have no recollection of this guy's personality in the books, but if it weren't for him, the rest of us wouldn't be here, and the coolest parts of the books wouldn't exist. I think you're supposed to be wildly creative.

And you have Wes, Jason, and me (all full siblings) sitting at your feet and imbibing of your wisdom.  :blink:                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Jan 14 2003, 07:24 PM--]

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2003, 06:55:54 PM »
I came up as Bleys. The Dworkin one is really scary. :-)
Bleys...the playboy of Amber. He's got style and panache, always making a show for everyone when he's around. Flaunting his grace and good looks, he's a favorite of the ladies, and trusted by the men. He's everyone's friend, at least while they draw his interest.

And who the hell is Osric?

edit: Osric is dead in the books I read. No wonder I don't remember him.

edit #2: a description of Bleys.                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Jan 14 2003, 07:25 PM--]

Kismet

Muahaha!
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2003, 07:08:50 PM »

Woo!  I have all the personality of a corpse!
/me goes off to work on her interpersonal skills. :)                    

[!--EDIT|Kismet|Jan 14 2003, 08:22 PM--]

Hendryk

Muahaha!
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2003, 07:45:36 PM »

Woo!  I have all the personality of a corpse!
/me goes off to work on her interpersonal skills. :)
                   Not that bad.  Osric was not too accepting of his autocratic father.  When dad remarried (and juggled the records to disinherit Osric - his father was a king & could do that), Osric and another brother Finndo, rebelled.  As a result it became necessary, in the official hagiography, that "they died bravely for Amber."                    

L_Jonté

Muahaha!
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2003, 09:48:32 PM »
And you have Wes, Jason, and me (all full siblings) sitting at your feet and imbibing of your wisdom.  :blink:
                   I can live with that.   B)                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2003, 10:51:06 PM »
                   Speak for yourself, sister.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2003, 11:44:19 PM »
Speak for yourself, sister.
                   Don't blame me, blame Zelazny for making us Dworkin's "most attentive students."

Plus, I'm not the one who turns traitor.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2003, 12:12:57 AM »
I will no longer attempt to be funny on this thread.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2003, 11:51:30 AM »
                   Yikes! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it! It was (supposed to be) a joke!                    

Hendryk

Muahaha!
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2003, 12:05:24 PM »
Hush.  Let him go plot against the rest of us in peace.

P.S.  You did help him all you could, didn't you, as long as it was just a matter of taking the throne away from Eric, Caine and Julian?  And before that, in damaging the Pattern, kidnapping Oberon and stuff?

P.P.S  I came out as Benedict.  It was too easy, really.                    

[!--EDIT|Hendryk|Jan 15 2003, 08:12 PM--]

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2003, 12:48:39 PM »
Yikes! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it! It was (supposed to be) a joke!
                   Heh. It was a double meaning. As in a huffy, snide "speak for yourself, sister" but still playing along, "sister"... get it? :)                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2003, 12:49:34 PM »
P.P.S  I came out as Benedict.  It was too easy, really.
                   I really tried not to think about the implications of the answers I was giving, although now that I think about it... yeah, I can see why I got Brand. :)                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2003, 01:27:45 PM »
Heh. It was a double meaning. As in a huffy, snide "speak for yourself, sister" but still playing along, "sister"... get it?
Oh, that. Yes, I got it while I was washing my hair this morning (?). I thought I had mortally offended you somehow, but since I didn't, in the spirit of true siblingness I retract all apologies. :)

Hush. Let him go plot against the rest of us in peace.
That really would have been the wisest course of action.

P.S. You did help him all you could, didn't you, as long as it was just a matter of taking the throne away from Eric, Caine and Julian? And before that, in damaging the Pattern, kidnapping Oberon and stuff?
Yeah, whatever. He betrayed me and that's all that counts.

Must go buy my own copy of the books.

Did no one else find that description of Bleys as hilarious as I did? I don't know Wes, but somehow I just can't picture him as the playboy of Amber, or any place really.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2003, 02:23:27 PM »
Must go buy my own copy of the books.

Great Book of Amber. A scant $16.07 at Amazon. All 10 books in one tome. Such a deal.

Did no one else find that description of Bleys as hilarious as I did? I don't know Wes, but somehow I just can't picture him as the playboy of Amber, or any place really.

Well, are we talking about not being able to imagine Bleys as the playboy of Amber, or Wes?

Despite having a decent amount of "screen time" Bleys is really not one of the better fleshed-out characters, but I think we're meant to get the impression that he's probably the most "dashing" of all the princes, plus smart enough not to let on that he's gone at sunrise.                    

Kish

Muahaha!
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2003, 02:35:35 PM »
Random.

Hopefully Random as he is in the books rather than, say, just before the books.                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2003, 04:01:59 PM »
Well, are we talking about not being able to imagine Bleys as the playboy of Amber, or Wes?
Oh, I can see Bleys fitting that description--it's the idea of Wes-as-playboy charming all of Berkeley with his careless debonair smile that I have a certain amount of difficulty with. (I do mean that in the nicest way.)                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2003, 05:50:35 PM »
I abstain.

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2003, 06:22:57 PM »
I'm feeling like I suddenly blundered into a patch of quicksand, so I think I'll just shut up now.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Muahaha!
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2003, 11:40:54 AM »
Oh, I can see Bleys fitting that description--it's the idea of Wes-as-playboy charming all of Berkeley with his careless debonair smile that I have a certain amount of difficulty with. (I do mean that in the nicest way.)
If you're familiar with an old game called "Vampire: the Masquerade" you may find it funny to note that while I was always personally partial to the disciplines of Dominate and Thaumaturgy, my friends all insisted that Presence was my true calling based on my (perceived) ability to naturally attract willing followers.

In my experience charm is easier to see in person than in writing ... or perhaps it's a different talent. The letter-writing of old somehow doesn't seem to compete with the instant messaging of today.

Is anyone here an Into the Woods fan? I'll leave with a quote I never liked from one of the princes: "I was raised to be Charming ... not Sincere."                    

Kiki

Muahaha!
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »
OK, I should have known this would be taken the worst possible way. What I meant was that "playboy" implies a certain screw-you, I'm-just-out-for-my-own-personal-pleasure/gain attitude that I don't think you possess. I regret any other inadvertent conclusions that might be drawn from my off-the-cuff comment. I like you very much, Wes, and, to make up for my careless remark, I will buy you lunch the next time I'm in the Bay Area and will allow you to charm me in person.

Additional groveling is available upon request.                    

Catalyst

Muahaha!
« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2003, 12:38:51 PM »
Is anyone here an Into the Woods fan? I'll leave with a quote I never liked from one of the princes: "I was raised to be Charming ... not Sincere."
With regards to the 2nd act, I think that's the point--that the probable reality beneath the surface of fairy tales is not always pleasant.

Or did you not like that particular quote for another reason?

Reading just half of this thread makes me want to go pick up a book. Despite mixed feelings about it, the new Wheel of Time book just came out...                    

Tsuru

Muahaha!
« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2003, 02:16:28 PM »
With regards to the 2nd act, I think that's the point--that the probable reality beneath the surface of fairy tales is not always pleasant.
                   Witness the Brothers Grimm in the original on that one *shudder* And that just put lovely images in my mind to start the day :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Muahaha!
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2003, 02:18:53 PM »
and, to make up for my careless remark, I will buy you lunch the next time I'm in the Bay Area and will allow you to charm me in person.
                   No. I fear that instead, Wes will TAKE YOU OUT TO LUNCH.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: