Author Topic: Elven Chain?  (Read 9532 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Elven Chain?
« on: November 27, 2002, 07:37:14 PM »
Recently there has been some discussion about a perceived lack of interesting elven chain in the game. Personally, I have never really cared about the matter because it is only a real problem for F/Ms and M/Ts and they can wear robes. Pure thieves have a number of other choices available and don't get much out of the "can cast spells" bit. Regardless, some seem to think that there is something to be said from a "style" perspective in favor of elven chain. If there are people who would like to see some sort of elven chain upgrade in the item upgrade mod, let me know here (bonus points if you suggest a concrete upgrade). If you've done this somewhere else, just copy the post -- it will be easier for me to keep track of things in one place.                    

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 02:27:31 AM »
Thanks for taking notice Wiemer, I was the one to suggest a new set of elven chain--heres whats been suggested so far:

Sylvan Chain
Red Dragon Scales
Andar Gems [--- if you read the description of these gems, it says they glow green and red; a nice touch I think
Fire Agate Gems [--- these too
25,000 gold

Incarnadine (Cerulean, Tenebrous, Palid) Elven Chain
AC0
+25%FR (ER, AR, CR)

Glows red and green (as aslyferund glows yellow and green)

Renegade later went on to suggest adding the amulet of power into the mix--adding permanent negative plane protection, 5% MR, and dropping casting speed of wearer by 1.

Giving it some more thought, perhaps any dragon scale could be added to the sylvan chain--giving it a bit more personality.  So if you were to add shadow dragon scales it would be same stats except +25% acid resistance.  The same could be done for red, blue, and white scales.  This mixes it up a bit, and lets people chose what color they want their shiny new elven chain to be (glowing green and whichever color of the scales you use).  Also it doesnt deny anyone a specific type of dragon armor because they can chose which one they wish to meld with the chain.                    

[!--EDIT|Renmauzo|Nov 29 2002, 10:22 AM--]

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 02:30:18 AM »
Renmauzo

had an idea for the incarnadine elven chain; swap crimson chain for red dragon scales.

Making it:

Sylvan Chain
Red Dragon Scales
Andar Gems [--- if you read the description of these gems, it says they glow green and red; a nice touch I think
Fire Agate Gems [--- these too
25,000 gold

Incarnadine Elven Chain
AC0
+25%FR

Edit: Weakened it a bit and removed ring of prot +3. Any abilities on top of what it already has seems overpowered.

Edited by Renmauzo - Nov 25 2002, 06:42 AM

Posted: Nov 25 2002, 11:37 AM  

Renegade ++RIP++
Unregistered

first of all thx for the explanation, it clarified alot.

maybe addiing the amulet of power as a component ???
and a ring of protection+1 or +2 but it will not have another effect than just augmenting the enchantment of the chain to AC0 (together with the red dragon scales)

still AC0
negativeplane protection
fr 25%
+5% MR
-1 to casting speed

The customization is something I'm liking alot , is drooling to get his hands on the item ()
maybe even dropping the 5% MR cause the chain is already rather powerfull , but the obvious reason why I'm giving this is because i hate reremembering my spells after a fight with vampires (grmbl , if I had a rocket they would have been shot to the moon  , thinks about it a while , better make it sun, then they return to dust "evil grin")

REMARK : And think about it , you are using a very unique item (heavily enchanted) as an ingredient , do tha netto result wouldn't be that unbalancing

This is for the good side (was a thought) (So if you are good)

Then we were thinking for the bad side only (so if you were evil)

REMARK : maybe for making these chains adding a reputation requirement for example: good 20 , bad 2 (not 1 bacause normally they don't sell you anything anymore)

On the case off the human flesh armor , this is already upgraded in the itemupgrademod so i don't know if it will be better that that will be altered, but i will make an attempt .

maybe saying that due to the dragons blood there where pieces of the flesh that have been dissolved into the chainmail making it possible to hold on the one hand the strongness and advantages of the drowchain and on the other hand expanded it with a little bit of the advances from the normal upgrade(human flesh+5) and made it resistant to the surface light.

You could picture the chainmail as some trobbing and beating piece of meath (aka flesh) on some places and on the other places there are only straps as black as the night . And cespenar then can later put in the soulstone of malla , thats at your own leisure. But if you do it the armor leeds its own life , it speaks to you (strange , but it is telepatically or it establish contact with your sinews and communicates on this way)

put what i pictured at this moment is :
drowchain+5 (better name must be founded, but first the global characteristics)
AC=0
savingthrows -1
+15% magicresistance
-1 to casting speed
+1 to each spelllevel (0 --> 6)
-3 charisma
-2 dexterity
-5 hp
+1 intelligence (extra effect off the noble silver dragonblood)
only evil and reputation of 9 and lower to make the upgrade possible , if the reputation ever comes above this the armor will just deupgrade(or lose one of its enchantments , because the other is a little bit drastic)

souly drowchain+5
the same as in the above except
-3 charisma --> -6 charisma
-2 dex becomes -1 dex
+1 str, +1 const, +2 intel(so in total it is +2),+1 wis
negative plane protection
-15 hp
+1 to thaco
only evil and reputation off 6 and lower
more susceptible to death attacks (for example normally a deathsavingthrow off 4, now one off 8) (but with the -2 to savings throws it actually comes down to +2)

But like i said before just an idea cause it is one heck of a powerchain ,so let the brainstorming commence

Now because you wanted to make also one for goodalligned people, I didn't add the melodic chain otherwise go right ahead , the other requirements are pretty much the same as before , 45000 gold ,protection from magic , chain contingency/spell sequencer/spelltrap, a roque stone/emerald and a diamond.

now the second upgrade (with malla's stone) uses another 60000 gold pieces , protection from undead, a special necklace (normally used to get a lot of money"not a pearl necklace but the other expensive one" and a roque stone)

REMARK this bad one was just a thought, must be weakened a lot (but only added to get the ball rolling)

THEN we added something of a plate

REMARK is for single class fighters only (has nothing to do with the chainmail)

Now about the plate ,
from Renmauzo
Actually I never thought of merging human flesh with other armor, but like you said it does make some kind of sense--for an evil person.

This is off topic a bit, but since you got me thinking about it-- I can imagine mixing human flesh with drow plate:

Human Flesh
Drow Plate +5 --> this is actually generic plate+5
Blood of the Silver Dragon
Liums journal of malevolent magics
Horn Coral Gem
Black Opal
Skull of Death

Malefic Plate
ac -2
immunity to death magic
can cast death fog 1/day
10% MR

Now Me again,

is that full plate or a very highly enchanted version of the normal plate ? And is it for single class fighters only ?
Because if so my Sarevok is going to make a little flikflak together with a nice victorydance in hell "ehe"
If it is full plate i'm alright with it , cause for a fighter i never use something else except naturally in the beginning of the game or if I'm not allowed to use it (for example kensai , berserker)

REMARK : it is a ordinary plate --> -3 to slashing attacks  , nothing else

Now on the hand of wat the abilities have to be before you can wear the chain ?
15 Str ,10dex,16int ,12 wis ??????
for the plate:
at least 18 str , 14dex,con10(due to the hide inside , less chafing --> no fatigue).

Or what do you guys/girls think  

Renmauzo : looks fine , but didn't realy thought about it    

Thx for letting your minds ponder over these possible upgrades

And to be complete legal: "adding the writers , so giving credits" (hehe)

This was an excerpt from the discussion on elven chain in solaufeinforum

Greetz                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 02:34:42 AM »
Renmauzo  ,Damn you were quicker than me :D

added some other things ,you can't mind for letting their thoughts linger on them eh

Maybe weimer gets to get a burning passion(a longing) for crafting it !

cheers                    

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 02:40:36 AM »
Hopefully ;)                    

FlatulentOne

Elven Chain?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 02:54:23 AM »
Jester's chain was a gift to a bard, but it doesn't allow casting...Blah. How about Jester's Chain+Elven Chain +1. Same stats as origional JC, but doesn't suppress magic ability. Heh...that's simple enough, I think I could actually make it! Well, I could do the armor, but I'd be totally lost in the intergration.....

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 02:56:58 AM »
Perhaps mixing jesters chain with melodic chain, although that seems a bit depricating to the melodic chain :)                    

FlatulentOne

Elven Chain?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 03:13:30 AM »
Melodic chain is good as is for a bard, as I see it. But it irks me to see the Jester's chain disable spell casting ability when the description states that it was made for a bard. That's why I suggested just normal Elven Chain +1, found in absurd quantities in Sendai's lair, also I think there is some in Suldanesselar (sp?). Why take one of the useful Elven Chain suits to make another one? When I play a bard with other F/M or T/M types (including Sola) I give the bard Melodic Chain, F/M gets the Bladesinger chain, save the robes for pure and almost pure mages like Imoen, Edwin, or Kelsey. Also, it does quite well with Haer'Dalis, both in functionality and placement.                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2002, 03:26:35 AM »
maybe so , but then

I would like to have some other effects , like the one i mentioned before , and if you really wanted to have the jesterschain mixed in the soup.
Maybe using that rather then the melodic chain as an upgrade together with the elvenchain+1/+2 that you suggested ???

But if you do that , you will lose 1 possibility to get boots of speed!
"with that machine in spellhold"                    

serjeLeBlade

Elven Chain?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2002, 11:19:30 AM »
Maybe using that rather then the melodic chain as an upgrade together with the elvenchain+1/+2 that you suggested ???

But if you do that , you will lose 1 possibility to get boots of speed!
"with that machine in spellhold"
Well, you almost always "lose" something, one way or the other, when trying to create the powerful items from the item upgrade mod.
Jester Chain is the most difficult item to get from that machine (20 mithril tokens) but ther's no point to get it as it is, so everybody chooses the boots and ends up with 5 (or 6) useless Mithril Tokens.
That's a pity.

I'm in favor to the addition of Jester Chain, I like the way it glows  :rolleyes:

(Too bad it makes no sense to equip it by the time you get it)

Yes, yes, I want the Jester Chain version! Please!
Leave Melodic chain alone... (or you're going to strip me naked, as a side note) :unsure:                    

Kish

Elven Chain?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2002, 12:18:44 PM »
Jester Chain is the most difficult item to get from that machine (20 mithril tokens) but ther's no point to get it as it is, so everybody chooses the boots and ends up with 5 (or 6) useless Mithril Tokens.
                   Put them in and get the Boots of the North.
That's a pity.
I disagree; I think it fits perfectly with the idea that the machine was designed by a jester, which is something else besides being a bard kit.  Put in five tokens, get something useful; put in ten tokens, get something better; put in fifteen tokens, get the best thing of all; put in twenty tokens, get something useless.                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2002, 12:42:14 PM »
As brother kish already stated clearly you stay with just 1 "yes you heard me correctly just 1 " mithril token.

You can use 5 mithrils to get the boots of the north (so the possibility for the blizzard boots has arisen) "ehhe"

Jeps  , you are rigt kish , that should be the idea after it , anybody who is to greedy comes back emptyhanded if he used the jesters machine.

And serje  , if you really wanted thet it glowed nicely, we had a similar thought in the same thread  but in the solaufein board , and we thought how about adding some of the gems to make it glow nicely (in stead of the crimsonchain) .
Me not know the colors anymore , but it was Renmauzo's nice idea , I think he will be overjoyed to post it again :D                    

evildevil

Elven Chain?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2002, 10:14:07 PM »
I like Renmauzo's Incarnadine Elven Chain idea.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Elven Chain?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2002, 05:56:51 PM »
Sylvan Chain
Red Dragon Scales
Andar Gems <--- if you read the description of these gems, it says they glow green and red; a nice touch I think
Fire Agate Gems <--- these too
25,000 gold

Incarnadine Elven Chain
AC0
+25%FR (ER, AR, CR)

I have coded up this suggestion, look for it in the next IU release. "Color" and "Picture" are actually the hardest parts of this whole enterprise -- if you want to support black and white as well you'll have to send me the bams and the opcodes.

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2002, 06:17:31 PM »
I used to make items myself, but its been like a year--so Im a little rusty; so, if you could, tell me exactly what you want-- just the color numbers as seen in item maker?

BTW- Thanks  :ph34r:

I think, a simple way to do this is just use the identical color that whatever the original dragon scale uses; then again if it was this easy Id imagine youd have already done it.                    

[!--EDIT|Renmauzo|Nov 30 2002, 02:25 AM--]

evildevil

Elven Chain?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2002, 07:35:30 PM »
Wow. Imoen and Haer'Dalis make a nice couple when Immy's in the Incarnadine Elven Chain, and Haer in the Aslyferund Elven Chain.                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2002, 04:41:37 PM »
Renmauzo,

about that plateupgrade ever thought in place of adding a generic plate+5 , using the doomplate (is a +3plate and you get it in spellhold)

I find the name more striking and the description from the plate isn't that bad either to upgrade it into our doomplate+5 that grants protection against deathspells.

But hey , just a thought.
But I would like to know what you think.

sincerely,

Rennie                    

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2002, 06:21:52 PM »
Thats actually a pretty neat idea; especially since doom plate has a legacy for short lived wearers and whatnot.  I like it a lot.  The whole package comes together nicely, with a cool story to boot.                    

[!--EDIT|Renmauzo|Dec 1 2002, 02:22 AM--]

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2002, 06:40:16 PM »
I had another idea for some gloves which Id like to run by you Renegade.

Merge:
Bracers of Blinding Strike
Guantlets of Archery
Guantlets of Missle Snaring
3 Potion of Agility
10,000 gold

Bracers of Prodigious Prowess
+2 thaco with ranged weapon
+2 AC vs missles
extra 1/2 atk with ranged weapon
+1 dex

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2002, 02:16:51 AM »
Damn  ,

Never known a archer who wouldn't call that his/ker second nature (The first is naturally his/her bow :D)
But i like it alot , very crafty idea , very nice ;)

Is pondering about the possibilities:

cancelling +1 dex and 1/2 extra attack   , and replacing it with constant improved haste "that would be a sight for sore eyes". But this one knows that that would be overstretching the boundaries of nice balanced weapons  , wouldn't it ??

cheers                    

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2002, 04:11:39 AM »
It would be stronger, but this allows you to cast improved haste on top of the extra atk--so really the potential for mayhem is greater  :ph34r:                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2002, 04:45:09 AM »
Yeps ,

It would be stronger , and that was my idea in place off using the normal boot of speed to give you a boost using the bracer as a sort of boot of speed (but naturally it is a glove , not a boot :D). But with one exception, the speed given isn't a normal speedspell but the improved one , and therefor I thought about leaving +1 dex and +1/2 to speed weapon away . Otherwise it would be way to overpowered

But it would still be a very highly enchanted and crafty item

Now I have a thought about the equalizer sword.

Don't you  think that it is a crummy sword either? And that for a relic , In my thoughts a relic is one off the most savy and powerfull weapons in the game , but in this case the equalizer is just a sucky blade. So I thought what you would suggest to make it a little bit more powerfull?

My thoughts went out to making it +3 to thaco and damage to everythiong that it can hit ,and in therms of weapon enchanted +5(so actually the same as the the staff of the mage (the one you get from the rune... )"forgotten name"), so it could hit prettymuch anything, and giving immunity to psionics or timestop, maybe even both. "that would be some heck of a weapon :D" Then I would even consider using it on my swackie ;) . And as some downfall only usable by true neutral allignment and ...  (Can't think of anything else)

greetz                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2002, 08:55:54 AM »
Whiii  , my first post !!!!

sorry for the zwammie contents

greetz                    

Renegade ++RIP++

Elven Chain?
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2002, 08:57:43 AM »
grmbl, this is as you can all see then my first post

stupid forget to log in mistake

greetz                    

Renmauzo

Elven Chain?
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2002, 04:02:45 PM »
'Bout time you registered ;)

I actually like the equalizer as is.  It does a tremendous amount of damage to chaotic evil enemies, and, as it happens, chaotic evil enemies comprise the majority of those you face.  Also while it is a relic, it also has a story and a specific purpose--so I would have a hard time adjusting it without altering that.  Perhaps lowering the speed factor or something :)                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: