Author Topic: I cannot believe I did this...  (Read 16491 times)

L_Jonté

I cannot believe I did this...
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2002, 09:17:51 PM »
I like the fact that I must think about his question prior to answering. I also enjoy the poetry and the fact that he takes initiative on occassion rather than waiting for PC to tell him when to jump and how high.

Well to chime in here I'm 37.  I prefer Solaufein for the same reasons.  I also like the fact that (like Kelsey) he has no need to belittle or berate the PC.  He's flawed, but he isn't a Gordion Knot of adolescent angst expecting to be untangled by the PC.  No, he isn't perfect, bu I like him just fine.   ^_^                    

Sphira

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2002, 09:53:29 PM »
I'm the baby of the group!  :o  I'm 19... okay, 20 in two weeks... but I act like I'm 10. :D

I like Solaufien because he's... he doesn't whine quite as much as Ano. I was horrorifed on what Anomen said during Jan's quest about Lisa's daughter. And how he doesn't want to help that poor poisoned man you need to help to the Harper's hideout. I'm currently playing with Kesley... at the least he doesn't insult poor beggers. *sniff* And I like the phillospy even if I can't spell it. It's something I would enjoy talking to people about. Small talk for me is a fate worst than death.

L_Jonté

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2002, 10:03:22 PM »
Happy birthday Sphira!  (In advance)   B)                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2002, 11:50:13 PM »
Bah, these ambition dialogues are too boring to think about. Plus they require too much thought of how they fit into Sola's existing character--I'm always asking myself, "What would Weimer do?" Time to apply my efforts to other things.
                   Ye gads! What a scary thought. If you were considering writing some Sola dialogue but you're giving up because you can't think like Weimer, don't give up yet! Thinking like Weimer is not necessary. Actually, even Sola doesn't think like Weimer. Sola already has a number of contributions from outside sources that are not what I would have done innately. Assuming you are actually talking about some hypothetical Sola lines, I encourage you to write them anyway and send them over. I'll take responsibility for mangling them into cohesion if necessary.                    

Althernai

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2002, 11:57:01 PM »
Dave Gaider said somewhere that Jaheira was meant to be the adult romance. Haven't played it all the way through so I can neither confirm nor deny this description, though she did call my female PC a "magnificent bastard" when my party went to get her at Harper Hold. Hm.
Are you sure he didn't say "Viconia" rather than "Jaheira"? 'Cause some of Vic's lines are not fit for children...                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2002, 12:08:22 AM »
But a lot of young guys think that abusive sexpots are good fun. Give Bioware SOME credit for knowing its audience (see also accurate prediction that a significant portion of player base would automatically give katana grandmastery to all characters if not warned off it.)                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kiki

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2002, 12:16:25 AM »
Are you sure he didn't say "Viconia" rather than "Jaheira"? 'Cause some of Vic's lines are not fit for children...
Not adult as in X-rated, but as in grown-up.

Assuming you are actually talking about some hypothetical Sola lines, I encourage you to write them anyway and send them over.
Well, okay. I just don't want to tamper with your vision of Sola. You can always junk them, anyway.

Was my explanation about the book dialogue understandable?

I am also amending my conceptions about how old the posters on this board are. Since we all seem to be coming clean with our ages, I'm 31. I like Solaufein because he questions some of your assumptions about the story--the morality of summoning creatures, your actions in deceiving Phaere, etc. The conversations add a new dimension to the game.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2002, 12:19:32 AM »
"Decisions" (working title)
Lisa, it's very nice. By the way, what happened to your "Magic 8-Ball" pic?

“And you confuse me as well.  What could you possibly find lacking in… my personal style?”

This is cute, but I'm biased against Anomen. :-)

Your shield is drooping and your stance is off balance.

Ah, the standard fantasy explanation given by experienced warriors to greenhorns. :-)

Yet there your armor sits, filthy and untended, cast off without a second thought.

I'm not sure that Anomen would actually refer to anything worn by CHARNAME as "filthy", since it implies that the object of his affections is less than clean. Still, it works well in your story.

No doubt those worries will soon be assuaged by a simpering, unseemly Drowish smile and some damned, lofty poem!

I'm almost tempted to side with Delryn here.

Bits and snatches of pastoral verse floated dreamily through his mind.  This was bliss.

(cue country music) "Why is everybody always pickin' on me?"

“Oh…  I-I’m so sorry!”  Rhiann stammered, her eyes wide and her cheeks red.

Suddenly aware of his own nakedness, Solaufein backed sheepishly into the more comfortable, waist-high depths.

This is where it loses a bit of credibility for me. Stammered? Sheepish? Flustered? Is anyone over the age of 18 actually embarrassed when someone walks in one someone else unintentionally? Much less someone over the age of 180? Wise paladin and experienced drow do not strike me as the sort of people to make even a non-miniscule deal out of this, even if they secretly long for each other.

“I am so, so sorry.  I’ll just…  I’ll just be… um… right.”  

Rise up, Rhiann!

“Well of course not, he left while you were busy trouncing old pompos pants...

... so I took the opportunity to set you up with new broody pants.

“Good” She thought.

She needs more punctuation. :-)

extreme embarrassment

Rise up, Rhiann!

All those tedious talks about philosophy and morality?  That’s not nice!  That’s a man desperate to get your attention, at any cost.

... and Weimer is down for the count, unable to defend himself against this honest jibe.

“Fair?”  Rhiann looked astounded.  “Who said anything about fair?  ...

Suddenly, Rhiann's voice deepened to a leathery gravel. "Well, who says life is fair? Where is that written? Life isn't always fair."

Imoen, sounding younger and more petulant than usual, retorted, "I'm telling you you're messing up the romance, now get it right!"

"Do you want me to go on with this?" Rhiann's voice held a note of waning patience.

"Yes," was Imoen's meek reply.

"All right, then. No more set-ups."

"Who tells off Anomen?" Imoen's question seemed to come out of nowhere.

"I don't understand."

"Who tells off Anomen Delryn? At the end, somebody's got to do it. Is it Jan? Who?" Imoen was almost begging.

"Nobody. Nobody tells him off. He lives oblivious." Rhiann's voice was calm and measured.

"You mean he wins? Ilmater, Rhiann! What did you bring me along on this thing for?" Imoen was quickly dissolving into hysterics.

"You know, you recently lost your soul and you're taking this romance very seriously. I think we better stop now." In Rhiann's mind, her sister came before any possible love interests. If her attraction to Solaufein was unbalancing Imoen, she'd just have to put him on hold until she recovered.

"No! I'm okay. I'm okay," Imoen said, gesturing back toward the pool. "Keep lusting after him him. All right?"

"Okay," Rhiann replied more cheerfully. "All right, now, let's see. Where were we? Oh yes. We were dealing with the Brood of Despair."

Sorry, couldn't resist. "Decisions" clearly needs a serious sequel. Get to work, Jonte! Legions of fans cheer your name.

Althernai

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2002, 12:20:05 AM »
I'm the baby of the group!  :o  I'm 19... okay, 20 in two weeks... but I act like I'm 10. :D
I am younger than you by a little more than a year -- and our birthdays are pretty close. Kind of weird -- some of you are more than twice as old as I, yet without knowing the age I wouldn't be able to tell.

However, I am male and hence in no position to comment on the relative merits of the Kelsey, Solafein and Anomen romances. As to character:

1) Solaufein: I like the philosopher-drow.  I feel I should have thought of some of the questions he asks before he asked them -- and I might have, were I to ever think of ethics while playing a computer game.

2) Kelsey: he is so... so... so real life.  He would fit quite well in our own world if not for the fact that he is a sorcerer.  Kelsey is a very nice person, but for some reason I don't find him as interesting -- maybe I expect characters in a fantasy setting to differ from those in real life.

3) Anomen: I tolerate him when I am playing with a male PC and he doesn't bother me. The one time I tried a female PC, I almost killed him.                    

Tsuru

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2002, 12:31:12 AM »
I am younger than you by a little more than a year -- and our birthdays are pretty close. Kind of weird -- some of you are more than twice as old as I, yet without knowing the age I wouldn't be able to tell.

Now there's a pretty compliment :)

Kiki, I'm only coming clean on my age to you fellow WW's! What can I say, habits of a lifetime die hard :)

I am very happy with what Wes did with what I sent to him and I'm very happy with Sola generally.  And even happier to see him popping up in fanfic now :)

And happy birthdays early to both our "babies"!

Tsuru

Kiki

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2002, 12:37:44 AM »
Kind of weird -- some of you are more than twice as old as I, yet without knowing the age I wouldn't be able to tell.
I can talk about the relative merits of various mutual funds or the tradeoffs between fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages if you want.  :)

Kiki, I'm only coming clean on my age to you fellow WW's! What can I say, habits of a lifetime die hard.
Yeah, 31 isn't old, but I squirmed a bit before I put it out on the table.

L_Jonté

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2002, 01:28:42 AM »
*reads Wes' post/critique*  *shakes head*

Oh dear, oh dear, where to begin...   :rolleyes:

First, the 8-ball left because... well, because I felt like it.  I switched from an Arcana Jayne logo image to an image of Jayne herself.

Ah, the standard fantasy explanation given by experienced warriors to greenhorns.

I know enough about swordplay to know that I don't know enough to write it.  Nuff said.

This is where it loses a bit of credibility for me. Stammered? Sheepish? Flustered? Is anyone over the age of 18 actually embarrassed when someone walks in one someone else unintentionally? Much less someone over the age of 180? Wise paladin and experienced drow do not strike me as the sort of people to make even a non-miniscule deal out of this, even if they secretly long for each other.

Well, I would be embarrassed.  And Solaufein wasn't embarrased about being nekkid so much as he was aware of Riann's discomfort.  Paladin or not she's what?  19?  20?  At that age I was still pretty darn flusterable, especially in the presence of somebody I had the hots for.

She needs more punctuation.

Picky, picky Professor Weimer...  [_[

... and Weimer is down for the count, unable to defend himself against this honest jibe.

Victory!  :lol:

That whole Princees Bride parody nearly made me wet myself.  (Moreso because Jason and I were beating each other up with PB quotes earlier today.)

As for my leigions of fans, they will have to wait a bit.  I just got a tough-love lecture from another of their number who told me that if I don't get cracking on Arcana Jayne she will walk my ass-kicking papers to my door herself.  But this bit of fan-fluff writing has managed to chip away nicely at that pesky block I've been under.  :)                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2002, 02:39:50 AM »
Well, I would be embarrassed.  And Solaufein wasn't embarrased about being nekkid so much as he was aware of Riann's discomfort.  Paladin or not she's what?  19?  20?  At that age I was still pretty darn flusterable, especially in the presence of somebody I had the hots for.

I will certainly take your word for it. Personally, the last time I can remember being flustered like that was the first time I asked someone out on a date (17?). Perhaps I have merely traded in one discomfort for another: I would be "embarrassed" if I invited a group of people to a dinner party and did not have enough food ... or if one of the guests started to insult another. Making a promise and failing to follow through is low on my list of things to do. On the other hand, maybe the people you had the hots for at 19 were just dramatically hotter than people I walked in on.

Picky, picky Professor Weimer...  [_[

Yes, I'm annoying, I admit it. I'm also not the one trying to publish my prose in other areas.

Victory!  :lol:

And richly deserved.

That whole Princees Bride parody nearly made me wet myself.  (Moreso because Jason and I were beating each other up with PB quotes earlier today.)

It would have been atypical if something funny had happened here without Jason being somehow involved :-).

told me that if I don't get cracking on Arcana Jayne she will walk my ass-kicking papers to my door herself.  But this bit of fan-fluff writing has managed to chip away nicely at that pesky block I've been under.  :)

Based on this reference and the one above, I went to look at Arcana Jayne.

First -- neither IE nor Mozilla will view it correctly for me. The fonts scribble all over each other and I'm more or less forced to view the page source to read the text.

The "next page" link on http://www.arcanajayne.com/AJ/A_Soulin_18x.html is broken and points to _00 instead of _19.

Both "next page" links on http://www.arcanajayne.com/AJ/A_Soulin_19x.html point to that page itself, rather than _20x.

That said, I generally enjoyed the story. Based on the first few panels I was expecting "A Galway Halloween" or somesuch, with Sean and Sorka. But then Edward James Olmos *cough* I mean Emilio showed up.

You seem to have a flair for conveing a lot with a little:  your actually-fairly-spartan images the impression that quite a bit is going on. Those details that are present (for example, the labels on the "Brain") leave you wanting more.

Now to my major complaint: Frame 11. http://www.arcanajayne.com/AJ/A_Soulin_11x.html . I must say that I'm disappointed (although my opinion doesn't really matter, and what you currently have is the "popular culture" choice).

The "completely inadvertent 'grope' that inspires the otherwise-strong-and-witty female lead to boil over with anger and lash out in violence" was old when the accursed Rumiko Takahashi made an art out of it in Ranma and it hasn't gotten any younger.

It is my personal belief that this sort of "humor" is completley unacceptable (comparable to, say, making a racial slur). I believe that the incredible prevalence of this sort of thing in popular culture (look around for it for a while -- you'll be surprised at how often this idea drags itself out of the collective unconscious) goes a long way toward reinforcing the notion in our children that violence (and not diplomacy) is an acceptable method for resolving interpersonal misunderstandings. Flying off the handle is normal, acceptable: heck, it's even cool and hip: funny role-models like Arcana Jayne do it. Why shouldn't I? Given that AJ lives in a mythic world where magic actually exists, it makes sense for her to be casting spells and attacking her chosen enemies with 8-balls. But would she really *kick her friend in the head*? Stop and picture this for a minute. If your friend actually *kicked you in the head* over a minor misunderstanding, would you be friends for long? Would you just shrug it off? Is Jayne even concerned about the injury she has inflicted upon her old friend? No. Message: throwaway acts of violence are totally acceptable. They don't really matter.

Let's just take this act in isolation. Most of us probably haven't seen an actual *kick to the head* outside of television. Can anyone in the studio audience sit there with closed eyes and really imagine one of her friends kicking another in the head? Maybe the friends aren't that limber: replacing the kick to the head with a punch in the face is fine.

I realize that "everyone else is doing it" in that industry and that violence abounds. Fine. A blind crusade for pacifism is not my goal. I'm sure we want to smite the forces of darkness and evil. Great, that's good clean family fun. But I humbly suggest to you that take a look at how easily we portray domestic violence as "funny" and "normal" in our stories when it would be completely repulsive in real life.

All of that aside, it promises to be a lovely series. Draw some more! :-)                    

Kaylord

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2002, 05:29:59 AM »
I am glad to be in comfort here, speaking in terms of age, of course. I feared that me was a fossil with 31 talking to some youngsters, not really beeing able to grow up...   :D  really really gald I am not the only one!

I always LOVE fan fiction, but it is seldom that one really gets to en epic core. What I liked about the part postet here, is the nice character portraits. A bit too happy and open towards each other, perhaps, but who can say after all the dangers they encountered and survived?

I side a bit with Weimer about the embarassment. Maybe they are all about 20, but still, they faced a lot. Hell, they probably hat to take care of tending wounds which would have been much more intimate than taking a bath naked. (She´s a paladin... laying on hands come into mind...)  ;-)

Perhaps an embarassment on a "deeper" level would be a compromise?

Like,
"Well, ahm... warm water isn´t it...?"
"Yes... besides that, it´s not often that we encounter so clean rivers..."
"Yes, you are right..."
"..."
"Well, ahm,... I guess I spent enough time... gets cold in the end..."
"Yeah... perhaps you try a protection from cold spell...?"
(...omy, can´t believe I said this...)
(awkward, friendly) "haha... well next time..."

(afterwards) Imoen: "Shee... I don´t believe you were talking that crap!!"
(Charname, a bit subdued) "Uh... don´t tell me... he must believe me to be really dump, now... protection from cold, omy, prot from stupidity it should have been for ME... !" (now really subdued)
(...)

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to go on!!! Really really!!!
 :)                    

[!--EDIT|Kaylord|Nov 26 2002, 01:41 PM--]

Kaylord

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2002, 05:45:56 AM »
But a lot of young guys think that abusive sexpots are good fun.
                   I disagree completely about that view of Viconia. :-(
Viccy is the only who does treat sex as something normal... too normal perhaps, that´s why I liked that line about "just holding each other" very much.

Ah, I did not really want to start a discussion on that... just to say, I disagree, as the while acknowledging that there surely is a part of customers/audience there who want a "sexpot"...                    

Kish

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2002, 09:19:39 AM »
Viccy is the only who does treat sex as something normal... too normal perhaps, that´s why I liked that line about "just holding each other" very much.
                   Hmm.  Jaheira is tied (with Anomen) for my least favorite romance, but I have to say that I think she's the only one who actually treats sex as something normal.  Viconia's attitude toward sex is many things, but healthy it's not (see: the way she's used sex to have power over men in her past, and the way she asks CharName to have sex with her early in the romance, then hurls abuse at him the next morning whatever he said...and the way holding each other and not having sex both means so much to her and is something she doesn't think to ask for).                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2002, 11:10:59 AM »
I will certainly take your word for it. Personally, the last time I can remember being flustered like that was the first time I asked someone out on a date (17?).

Hmmh...  well, even today if I walked in on a friend naked I would be pretty darn flustered.  However, if the situation were reveresed I doubt I would be so affected.  After the modesty-pulverizing, my-privates-are-a-sideshow experience known as Childbirth, I'm kinda desensitized.

neither IE nor Mozilla will view it correctly for me.

That turns out to be a problem with my file and cheap-ass software.  It will be corrected.

That said, I generally enjoyed the story.

I'm glad to hear it.  :)

Based on the first few panels I was expecting "A Galway Halloween" or somesuch, with Sean and Sorka. But then Edward James Olmos *cough* I mean Emilio showed up.

Edward James Olmos?  No bushy mustaches here!

You seem to have a flair for conveing a lot with a little: your actually-fairly-spartan images the impression that quite a bit is going on. Those details that are present (for example, the labels on the "Brain") leave you wanting more.

Thank you.  With the exception of certain "establishing shots" I prefer art that is more implication than documentary.  Everybody will see something different, which is as it should be.

Now to my major complaint:

Wow.  You must certainly feel strongly to post so much about a single panel on a single page.  After readring (and re-reading) what you ahd to say, I went back to my script to see where I was when I drew that page.  The script, as it turns out, has nothing in it about Jayne thrashing Padraigh.  

SCENE:   
We see Padraigh, wild-eyed, clutching his chest, disheveled staggering and stuttering back toward the crowded square where Jayne and Emilio are still dancing.

PADRAIGH:   Gasp! J-jay… Jay-Jayne!  (flings arms about Jayne’s middle to keep himself from completely falling down.)  

JAYNE:   (surprised) GAH!

JAYNE:   (sees Padraigh and tries peeling him off of her waist) Padraigh!  What the hell are you doing!?  Since when are you a pervert?

As I recall, that page was giving me particular fits.  My original layouts had not worked and I think, in the end, I just went for the quick visual gag rather than fighting with the thing any further.

The "completely inadvertent 'grope' that inspires the otherwise-strong-and-witty female lead to boil over with anger and lash out in violence" was old when the accursed Rumiko Takahashi made an art out of it in Ranma and it hasn't gotten any younger.

There was no grope.  You can see Padraigh's hands at all times.  However, I see your point.  Is it a cheap gag?  Sure.  But in my own defense, it's no Love Hina either.

-- you'll be surprised at how often this idea drags itself out of the collective unconscious) goes a long way toward reinforcing the notion in our children that violence (and not diplomacy) is an acceptable method for resolving interpersonal misunderstandings.

I caution you here not to underestimate the average reader, to do so is to do them a disservice.  I am fully aware of how certain ideas pervade society's subconcious.  Someday, we shall have to discuss sexism.

Flying off the handle is normal, acceptable: heck, it's even cool and hip: funny role-models like Arcana Jayne do it. Why shouldn't I?

A role model for whom, exactly?

Let's just take this act in isolation.

Why?

Most of us probably haven't seen an actual *kick to the head* outside of television. Can anyone in the studio audience sit there with closed eyes and really imagine one of her friends kicking another in the head?

You don't have brothers, do you?  

replacing the kick to the head with a punch in the face is fine.

I resent that.  That is a mighty broad brush you are tarring me with.  Listen Wes, I am more than familiar with the realities of abuse and domestic violence.  I know you are sincere, but I think you are reaching a bit.

All of that aside, it promises to be a lovely series.

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?   :rolleyes:                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2002, 12:06:06 PM »
This is where it loses a bit of credibility for me. Stammered? Sheepish? Flustered? Is anyone over the age of 18 actually embarrassed when someone walks in one someone else unintentionally?

Well, I would be embarrassed.

I'll chime in here and say that if Riann, Solaufein, Lisa, or Wes walk in on me when I'm bathing, "strongly self-conscious", at least, will leap to the fore.                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2002, 02:06:41 PM »
I'll chime in here and say that if Riann, Solaufein, Lisa, or Wes walk in on me when I'm bathing, "strongly self-conscious", at least, will leap to the fore.
Fair enough. It would give us a chance to see if you're a natural redhead, though :-). In all seriousness, though, I assume we would all just say a polite "excuse me" and walk out.

At any rate, it would appear that this varies from person to person. Despite all that, Decisions is still a lovely piece of work.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2002, 02:21:44 PM »
You obviously haven't seen the Kelsey original, the Kelsey DeNiro, or my FW gallery pic.  About the only red hair I have is the occasional weirdo in my beard (again, unlike Kelsey, my facial hair growth is probably upper-quartile). Occasional blond strands in my mustache, too.

Various jokes for how a guy gets red and blond mustache hairs in his dark dark brown facial hair present themselves but I assure you it's all untrue.                    

[!--EDIT|jcompton|Nov 26 2002, 04:22 PM--]

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2002, 02:45:45 PM »
Thank you.  With the exception of certain "establishing shots" I prefer art that is more implication than documentary.  Everybody will see something different, which is as it should be.
I think that works well.

I recently saw Spirited Away and I'm still trying to formulate an opinion of it. I think that I may be the only anime fan who does not like his latest offering. He has sacrificed cinematic excellence at the altar of fantastical imagery ... and somewhere along the way, he lost a coherent message. Is this the beginning of the triumph of flash over substance in an area where we all respect the director too much to admit it?

As I recall, that page was giving me particular fits.  My original layouts had not worked and I think, in the end, I just went for the quick visual gag rather than fighting with the thing any further.

Fair enough.

There was no grope.  You can see Padraigh's hands at all times.  However, I see your point.  Is it a cheap gag?  Sure.  But in my own defense, it's no Love Hina either.

Most of the 'incidents that cause violent reactions' in Ranma, Love Hena, Vandread, El-Hazard, yada yada, aren't really gropes either. You will pardon me if I elide the "I'm better than one of the worst offenders" move, other than to agree with you.

The article you reference is excellent, and points out half of what I'm railing against. That sort of thing has become so prominent that we don't even notice it explicitly anymore. I feel so strongly about it that I can be "excessive" about trying to stop even the smallest hint of it before it spreads.

I caution you here not to underestimate the average reader,

Perhaps your average reader is a paragon of distant reflection and an otherwise enlightened, intelligent human. I'm happy to give you that.

To me, however, "average reader" does not (sadly!) even refer to "other computer science graduate students" or "witty thirtysomethings who appreciate BG2 mods". I'm thinking more along the lines of the mythical target audience in this stereotype-ridden joke:

Subject: Re: NBC wants a quick WS
Newsgroups: rec.sport.baseball

David Marc Nieporent [nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu] wrote:
]]It's the networks who we have to thank for night WS games to begin with!
]
]And lucky they did, since nobody can see baseball during the day.  The
]unemployed is not exactly the demographic group advertisers are looking
]for.

"That's WAY back...It's Gone!  Gary Sheffield has just hit another 20/20
 Home Run!  Sheffield's swing was silky smooth, just like the fortified
 flavor of America's favorite alcholic beverage!"

"Eisenreich comes to the plate...he's number 8, Tim, and that means this
 is another 8-Ball Moment!  Seize the moment and take the edge off with
 Olde English 800 Malt Liquor...available in convenient 40 oz. bottles!"

"Thome was just telling me about the fact that he received a new shipment
 of bats this week.  And as you know, Bob, if he's got it, a truck brought
 it!  Trucking companies are looking for drivers right now, so why not call
 Western Truck School today?  A new, lucrative career could be right around
 the corner for those that want to take hold of their future!"

"Daulton's fought back from a myriad of knee injuries, so why shouldn't
 you fight back if you've been injured in a motorcycle or auto accident?
 At David Allen and Associates, they specialize in personal injury cases
 caused by accidents.  You deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
 The insurance companies have attorneys working hard for them -- so should
 you!  Call David Allen today!"

{Shudder...}

to do so is to do them a disservice.

Fair enough. I offer my apologies to your gentle readers. In my own defense, I used to hold the view you are suggesting more or less all the time. However, experience has led me to believe that when I assume an audience consisting of more than just a dozen close friend will take something the way I intended it, I am usually just fooling myself.

I am fully aware of how certain ideas pervade society's subconcious.  Someday, we shall have to discuss sexism.

I'm sure that will make for a pleasant diversion.

You don't have brothers, do you?  

No, I don't. I do have many, many cousins. I actually considered putting in an explicit disclaimer about violence in small children and pointing out that AJ and P are in their twenties, but I figured that everyone would "get it" as intended and skip that comparison. :-)

replacing the kick to the head with a punch in the face is fine.
I resent that.  That is a mighty broad brush you are

I can't see why. In my view a kick to the head is much worse than a punch in the face. Kicks tend to be more damaging.

Listen Wes, I am more than familiar with the realities of abuse and domestic violence.

I'm impressed that you can treat it so lightly.  

I know you are sincere, but I think you are reaching a bit.

Arcana Jayne is no Love Hina. Arcana Jayne is no Ranma. Arcana Jayne is no Natural Born Killers. Arcana Jayne is no Pulp Fiction. Arcana Jayne is not even A Doll's House. You are correct.

However, I always think we can strive higher. Sure, AJ is "fine" with that one bit of senseless violence between friends. I can just imagine AJ being "better" without it.

L_Jonté

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2002, 03:02:31 PM »
Sure, AJ is "fine" with that one bit of senseless violence between friends. I can just imagine AJ being "better" without it.

Ahh!  The essences of your entire message in one, bite-sized package.

Yes, ultimately I agree with you that AJ could be much, MUCH better.  Improvement is always the goal.  I fell back on an easy gag and one of my readers (you) didn't like it.  I'm sorry you are offended, but it is as it is and I cannot go back, nor would I, given the chance.  No matter what I try, no matter how I present my work I am sure to offend somebody, someplace.   Better (I think) to take the feedback I get, use it as I see fit, and get on to the next story.  The learning process never ends.  C'est la vie.  

BTW, I expect to see you at some point during APE in February.  Visit my table and I will buy you a coffee and let you dissect my work in person.   B)                    

[!--EDIT|L_Jonté|Nov 26 2002, 11:07 PM--]

Sphira

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2002, 09:33:54 PM »
And happy birthdays early to both our "babies"!

Tsuru
                   To Jonte-sama and Trusu-san

Thanks! ^_^ I wasn't even expecting that. *Feels a bit guilty for posting this when the conversation is past this now*                    

Tsuru

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2002, 10:13:30 PM »
To Jonte-sama and Trusu-san

Thanks! ^_^ I wasn't even expecting that. *Feels a bit guilty for posting this when the conversation is past this now*
Do itshi mashite, Sphira-san :)

(No, I don't really speak Japanese, I asked the other half, who does speak it passably ;) )

Tsuru

L_Jonté

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2002, 11:16:04 PM »
You're welcome Sphira!  No guilt required!   ^_^                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: