Author Topic: A picture is worth 1,000 words  (Read 8364 times)

L_Jonté

A picture is worth 1,000 words
« on: November 15, 2002, 08:53:34 AM »
Just curious, who uses which portrait?

Here's Mine*...

What about the rest of you?  How do you see Sola?  Oh, also, if anybody knows the origin of the image I use I would love to know it.  Is it from a book cover, poster or what?

*Yes, yes, I did create a new Sola portrait but I don't plan to use it until I've finished the rest of the portrait set I'm working on.  I like things to match.  ;)                    

DSlaytern

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 09:48:12 AM »
Mine is the same as yours. :)                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 10:34:29 AM »
I love that image.  It's so... so... Sola.  ^_^                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 10:43:53 AM »
The image you cite is very nice ... but the owl has always seemed out of place to me. I don't know its provenance.

I myself have always used the "classic" Sola picture, probably for "traditional" reasons. I got used to it before there was a Sola gallery. :-)                    

Sphira

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 03:57:34 PM »
No matter what I use, I try to avoid Drizzt pictures at all costs. It just doesn't feel right and I've got somewhat of a iffy view of the character due to rants from my friends who read FR and whine about his status. However it's not a fair opinion 'cuz I never read the books. *fears the Pimpin' Elemister* So I guess this leads to the unavoidable question I've had for a bit... how different are the personalities between Drizzt and Solaufien?
:unsure:                    

Kish

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 04:36:27 PM »
Both of them are brooding and moody and given to introspection on the nature of morality.  Solaufein has a lot more personality than Drizzt.  (Not that that's much of a compliment to Solaufein, considering the chair I am sitting on has more personality than Drizzt.)

Oh, to answer the thread question, I used the default picture.                    

[!--EDIT|Kish|Nov 17 2002, 07:27 AM--]

Unspoken

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 05:38:51 PM »
The image is a painting by April Lee called "Twilight Hunters". You can see a larger version here:

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/v...iew.pl?id=16110

Also, you can visit her Epilogue gallery here:

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/l...ry=2625&genre=2

^_^                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 05:58:02 PM »
AHHHHH!!!  Thank you Unspoken!  

I Smooch your tootsies!  *smek*   :wub:  :D                    

[!--EDIT|L_Jonté|Nov 16 2002, 02:05 AM--]

L_Jonté

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 06:04:01 PM »
The image you cite is very nice ... but the owl has always seemed out of place to me. I don't know its provenance.

I myself have always used the "classic" Sola picture, probably for "traditional" reasons. I got used to it before there was a Sola gallery. :-)
                   I mentally assigned the owl to Solaufein as a familiar.  You know, in later years.   B)

As for the Drizzt images... ugh.  I've never liked them, any of them.  They're all so ungraceful, so... unutterably butch.  The drow are still elves after all, not trolls.  -_-                    

Torne

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2002, 01:25:33 AM »
Both of them are brooding and moody and given to introspection on the nature of morality.  Solaufein has a lot more personality than Drizzt.  (Not that that's much of a compliment to Solaufein, considering the chair I am sitting on has more personality than Drizzt.)
                   I'm just curious (since I'm a Drizzt fan mainly) why you think this?                    

Kish

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2002, 01:49:18 AM »
Why...I think Drizzt has no personality?

The thing about negative statements is that they're not subject to logical proof.  There is no answer to that question I can give that is not a tautology.  I think Drizzt has no personality because in all the Drizzt novels I've read (which is quite a few, though not all) he has never shown a personality.  If you disagree, feel free to give me an example of somewhere where he shows personality--but since we're OT, it might be better if you put it in a private message.                    

Aubrey

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 04:15:09 AM »
The one chosen as my avatar has always been a depiction of my idea of what Solaufein looks like. I think it also perfect matched with the voice -- well, the sample of it. ("I do what I must when I must. Know this well.")

Cheers                    

Entreri

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 06:24:22 AM »
In a completely off topic point I had to do an essay once withe the same title as this thread.                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2002, 08:36:16 PM »
The one chosen as my avatar has always been a depiction of my idea of what Solaufein looks like. I think it also perfect matched with the voice -- well, the sample of it. ("I do what I must when I must. Know this well.")

Cheers
                   I agree, that is one of the better images.  (Though I still prefer my wooshy Sola pic.   :D )                    

Domi

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 11:05:55 PM »
Turns deep red. Yes, I use the same one. It must be Drizzt with Montolio's owl. But I always hoped Solaufein is more of Do'Urden-father, then Do'rden son. BTW, I ressurected Sola and he is not talking to my PC anymore. ANy suggestions? What is his romance variable? SolaRomance? Can it be spurred with SetGlobal? Do his talks depend on rest?                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2002, 11:14:44 PM »
Yes, you can change Solaufein's romance with SetGlobal. See the end of the README. He doesn't have a ROMANCE variable, though.

Try talking to him with the talk icon even though he is in your party. What does he say?                    

Domi

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2002, 11:23:38 PM »
The glorious "I have nothing to say to you, my friend"

Domi

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2002, 11:33:43 PM »
I am hoping everything is normal. SolaTalk is set to 6, which according to Readme corresponds to Party Rest outside Spider Spawn talk. Thank you!                    

Sphira

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2002, 02:12:47 AM »
Well, I suppose I should show the picture I use... didn't do it last time

*points to the raven, points to the raven!!!*

Not that the drow piccie itself is bad, tho... ^_^

*looks to Jonte-san* Let me know when you get them done, I like your BG portraits. :D                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2002, 02:18:31 AM »
Well, I suppose I should show the picture I use... didn't do it last time

*points to the raven, points to the raven!!!*

Not that the drow piccie itself is bad, tho... ^_^

*looks to Jonte-san* Let me know when you get them done, I like your BG portraits. :D
                   Why thank you!  I'll see what I can do to spee up the process.   ^_^

BTW, you use the same Sola portrait that my husband uses.                    

Aubrey

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2002, 03:06:37 AM »
In a completely off topic point I had to do an essay once withe the same title as this thread.

... and it was the first thing I heard from my teacher when I was a photography student. (Well, there has been some time since then.)

Cheers

Caswallon

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2002, 06:00:07 PM »
I'm also using Aubrey's avatar for Solaufein.
The original picture seems somewhat... brownish for a Drow.:)                    

[!--EDIT|Caswallon|Nov 18 2002, 03:00 AM--]

Unspoken

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2002, 05:24:21 PM »

Aww shucks, it weren't nothing.
 :D

[a href="http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate/pics/16/DM041L.bmp"]I'm using this picture for Sola.[/a] Mostly because it matches
the other portraits, but I also find it appealing.                    

Rassadihn

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2002, 05:03:26 AM »

Aww shucks, it weren't nothing.
 :D

<a href="http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate/pics/16/DM041L.bmp">I'm using this picture for Sola.</a> Mostly because it matches
the other portraits, but I also find it appealing.
                   Second that. The other pictures felt out of place compared to the portraits of the rest. And Drizzt portraits are immediately disqualified because I know they're Drizzt's (I'm glad I'm writing this, by the way; I wouldn't want to *pronounce* "Drizzt's"). :-)

L_Jonté

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2002, 10:47:47 AM »
(I'm glad I'm writing this, by the way; I wouldn't want to *pronounce* "Drizzt's")

HA!  Try this five times fast:

"Drow Drizzt deftly ducked the dire deluge"                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: