Author Topic: STRING_SET & ilk  (Read 842 times)

Offline WizWom

• Wandering Kernel of Happiness
  • Planewalker
STRING_SET & ilk
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »
What is the problem with STRING_SET, STRING_SET_EVALUATE, STRING_SET_RANGE, and !<int> <sting>?
  Is there a bug in their code, or is it just that they are dangerous?
  Is it that they would require re-hashing of the Dialog.tlk stings that change?

The STRING_SET would seem to be the proper way to do game text fixes, like spelling error corrections and missing text corrections.
If you aren't happy, it's not my fault.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: STRING_SET & ilk
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 07:56:24 AM »
STRING_SET was, once upon a time, dangerous because it couldn't be uninstalled save for horrible hacks. These days, it can be. It's widely acknowledged that "do not use" in the WeiDU readme means "see if there's another way you can do this first". (Or jokingly, "this is really useful", but that's not a helpful translation.)

!strref is marked as "do not use" because Weimer didn't see the need for it. We feature-requested it for DLTC, but nobody's ever used it since. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't work properly in combination with non-!strref strings.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: STRING_SET & ilk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »
I used it in my spelling/grammar patches for Minto's Tower of Iron Will, as he'd made it a non-WeiDU mod. But that's about the only place I can think of.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: