Author Topic: Two repeated complaints  (Read 1690 times)

Althernai

Two repeated complaints
« on: November 01, 2002, 02:47:30 PM »
These are two things that I've said before, but I am not sure if you answered them.

1) Sanik - can you change him to a fighter or something? As it is, with the Improved Mages component installed, he has a ton of protections up when the assassin shows up. Other than completely ruining the roleplaying aspect of that quest (everyone stands there, in awkward silence, as the surprise assassin shoots arrow after arrow at his stoneskins while you are unable to do anything), it also wastes about two minute's worth of time. Is there anyway to exclude Sanik from the Improved Mages or, if that's not possible, just change him to a fighter?

2) The Liches and their Uber-Teleport field. You said that they are supposed to use it only if they are already paranoid - this is definitely not what happens to me. I am standing outside the door leading to the lich in  Spellhold, fighting the resident Yuan-Ti. The second I cast a spell, the lich says "Show yourself" and teleports me into the path of his CC  (which goes off even though I am invisible). I never saw the lich. I did not even open the door. This is the equivalent of instakill - of course, I can counter cheese with cheese and put up SI: Necromancy, Abjuration beforehand, but I really don't see why the lich should have that kind of power.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing - your liches also have a Spell Trap in their CC.                    

[!--EDIT|Althernai|Nov 1 2002, 10:57 PM--]

Piker

Two repeated complaints
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 03:43:47 PM »
I just dispel magic before talking to Sanik.

Shouldn't be too hard to change his script though.                    

Althernai

Two repeated complaints
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 05:12:39 PM »
Dispel Magic with what? The number of instances where a solo Sorcerer needs to use Dispel Magic and is capable of casting it is pretty much zero. Remove Magic won't work because he is not hostile and Breach is considered an offesive spell. I suppose in a normal party you would have somebody capable of casting it, but why do you have to waste a spell to fix something that shouldn't be in the first place.

The Sanik bug is not anything major (doesn't crash game, doesn't render a quest impossible to do) - it just doesn't seem very hard to fix.

Wes, another fun thing the lich tends to do is cast Incendiary Cloud (which kills off most of its minions), then decide that it is under attack and teleport you into the flame. You can't run away because he will teleport you there again. Without some form of immunity, this amounts to a death sentence.

BTW, rather than using that field, why don't you just have them ignore Protection from Undead the way Bodhi does? They ALREADY ignore it by casting a spell on characters thus protected. That teleport field is not an AOE spell like Dispel Magic - it is directed at the individual character (though technically at the lich to stop SI), whom the lich is supposed to be ignoring.                    

[!--EDIT|Althernai|Nov 2 2002, 01:19 AM--]

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Two repeated complaints
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 05:59:38 PM »
Good call with the Sanik bug ... I never actually talk to the man myself, so I always forget about it. OK, fixed locally.

Now, as for the liches. If you look closely, you will discover that they are not in fact targeting your party with the Uber-Teleport Field spell -- it just happens to affect your party. Somewhat like "detect alignment". Liches do become paranoid if any good characters in their area cast a spell.

I can remove the teleport field spell and make Liches immune to Pro-Undead ... but they will also become immune to Sunray, Turn Undead, Mace of Disruption, etc. Seems like a high price to pay.

Thoughts?

Althernai

Two repeated complaints
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 06:39:36 PM »
Now, as for the liches. If you look closely, you will discover that they are not in fact targeting your party with the Uber-Teleport Field spell -- it just happens to affect your party.

It affects my party and only my party. Illusions do not get teleported and neither do summons. I can find no criterion the lich uses except "CHARNAME's Party Member." Hence, either that spell is specifically targeting your party members or it is even more cheesy and simply uses the fact that the concept of a party is built into the game engine.

The total Bodhi immunities would be too much. I suppose I'd rather have the teleport field - though it is very annoying.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: