Author Topic: Banter tutorial  (Read 2227 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Banter tutorial
« on: October 11, 2002, 04:56:23 PM »
Blue (author of Dungeon Be Gone and Keto) has posted a banter tutorial:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=61.0                   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 11:41:19 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Banter tutorial
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 04:06:24 PM »
What a lovely tutorial. Reading it made it clear to me that the CHAIN syntax is unnecessairly restrictive. Time to remedy that.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Banter tutorial
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 06:05:44 PM »
Allowing DO and/or EXITing?                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Banter tutorial
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 06:10:47 PM »
I am uploading a new version of WeiDU that should compress Blue's initial tutorial segment into a single action. Behold the new power of CHAIN:

Code: [Select]
// CHAIN example: Adapted from Blue's Tutorial

BEGIN ~BBLUE~ // We are in a banter file, specifically, the banter file for the NPC Blue.

CHAIN IF ~InParty("Jan")  // Is the NPC Blue wants to talk to in the party?
See("Jan")  // Can she SEE the NPC?
!StateCheck("Jan",STATE_SLEEPING)  // Is the NPC conscious?
Global("JanBlueTalk","LOCALS",0)~ THEN
BBLUE BlueJanBanterChain
  ~Agh! What am I doing in a computer game? I should never have eaten that leftover pizza.~  // Blue should say this.
DO ~SetGlobal("JanBlueTalk","LOCALS",1)~ // Okay, make sure this talk won't happen again, and let's see the NPC's reply.
== BJAN
~Have a turnip! It'll make you feel better. The same thing happened to my third-cousin-twice-removed-once-by-marriage Philroy waaaaay back just two weeks ago -~  // We already know who's replying here, so no need to specify.
== BBLUE  // Okay, now we want Blue to say something, so we go back to her banter file.
~And to make things worse, I'm stuck in a banter with HIM! Give me a sentence that's less than four words long, please?~  // And that's what she says.
== BJAN  // Alright, back to Jan.
~What are you talking about?~  // That's what he says.
== BBLUE
~Argh! That's FIVE words, FIVE!~  // Blue gives her ending line.
EXIT

The upshot is that you can now have initial conditions for CHAIN, use EXIT or COPY_TRANS instead of END file label, and you can put DO actions in the middle. You can also put actions in the middle of interject and I_C_T now.

This is yet another installment in my continuing quest to remove all syntax from WeiDU and just have it interpret text files of text as dialogues. :-) Would you believe that I once seriously considered a variant of D files where tabbing levels would indicate whether the text was to be spoken by the NPC or said in reply by the PC? The sad part is, it's not a half-bad idea.

The usual extensive local testing (hey, at least five minutes this time) did not reveal any errors. Compton has 2 hours from the time he reads this message to find at least one that I have introduced. :-)                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Banter tutorial
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 07:28:00 PM »
No fair, I have company coming over. :)                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Banter tutorial
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 11:54:55 PM »
Would you believe that I once seriously considered a variant of D files where tabbing levels would indicate whether the text was to be spoken by the NPC or said in reply by the PC? The sad part is, it's not a half-bad idea.
                   Mmmm. I HAVE seen people that write their dialogue mockups that way, I find it harder to read and pretty funky and yes, this new CHAIN looks like it's one step closer to just kinda taking what I write and making it dialogue. "Magically", as we say in the biz.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: