Author Topic: BG2 romance essay (incl. Solaufein, Kelsey)  (Read 15133 times)

Sir Loin of Beef

BG2 romance essay (incl. Solaufein, Kelsey)
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2002, 07:40:44 PM »
If not official BG expansions, there could be a whole new series based on some aspect of BG/BGII.

We all wish this could be true, I know I do.  Who knows, it could happen also but everywhere I look and articles I've read all I see is "We're done with Baldur's Gate" The End, Game Over.

However I shudder at the thought of Baldur's Gate 3D however... :rolleyes:

But the monster can be tamed.  It's also proven extremely popular (if poorly thought out in some respects) and could be used to great advantage.

Thank goodness for the fan-based mods which try to rectify some of the things that seemed to be missing from the game... as far as the romances go that is.                      

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2002, 08:37:55 PM »
Surely there is some tasteful way to use your hard-won amorous influence over him to obtain silence.  :)
                   Just for you, Kiki, I have added in a "shut-up-and-kiss-me" branch to the black raven dialogue.                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2002, 07:34:08 AM »
all I see is "We're done with Baldur's Gate" The End, Game Over.

*sigh*    :(

However I shudder at the thought of Baldur's Gate 3D however...

You're not the only one!  :blink:

Thank goodness for the fan-based mods which try to rectify some of the things that seemed to be missing from the game... as far as the romances go that is.

Oh yes!                      

L_Jonté

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2002, 07:36:48 AM »
Just for you, Kiki, I have added in a "shut-up-and-kiss-me" branch to the black raven dialogue.

Woo-hoo!   (This makes me happy too.)

B)                    

Aubrey

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2002, 10:14:57 AM »
Surely there is some tasteful way to use your hard-won amorous influence over him to obtain silence.

Weimer,

I believe Kiki deserves that. But, please, don't start writing "Ways to flirt with Solaufein, and how can you make him take his armour off!"  [_[   :)

Cheers

L_Jonté

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2002, 10:44:41 AM »
But, please, don't start writing "Ways to flirt with Solaufein, and how can you make him take his armour off!"

Tou have just taken me to a very, very scary visual place.  :blink:                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2002, 02:51:25 PM »
Don't worry. As has been remarked a few times, I prefer my romances "understated". No steamy scenes in the future. :-)                    

Tsuru

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2002, 03:11:25 PM »
Don't worry. As has been remarked a few times, I prefer my romances "understated". No steamy scenes in the future. :-)
Darn..I suppose no amount of pouting, begging, pleading or whining will change that huh? :)                    

Michel

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2002, 02:55:48 AM »
Ways to flirt with Solaufein, and how can you make him take his armour off!"  [_[   :)

Cheers
Or Valens armour for that matter  :o  :P  :ph34r:

Domi

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2002, 05:05:12 PM »
Well, I guess it's a matter of taste.

I cannot give an expert opinion on Solaufein, but so far I liked Kelsey better, since when playing a romance mod, I'd rather have romantic content.

Solaufein started by trying to educate my Candlekeep-grown, Gorion-brought up dame on the basics of drow pantheon. Now equipped with the knowledge that Ellistrae was the woman of his heart, and still having somewhat gloating feeling after that demon chopped down his one known lover, my PC went to the surface accompanied by the brooding drow.

First thing the lovely male did was being abducted by Bodhi (providing that Kelsey was my PC's oficial man Bodhi must have guessed the future).

He cheerfully spilled over my gaping PC a great dialogue saying how little she means to him and proceeded with killing off 4 out of six group members and astounded Drizzt. He made a particular effort to kill the PC (being successful at that at least 3 times!). There, in the Bodhi's layer standing over dead bodies of her 4 companions, barely alive herself, my PC was healed by the only other survivor. Infamouse somehow unscratched Anomen Delryn.

I know not what my PC was thinking, but I am sure the biggest jerk in Athkatla was grinning widely. It took my PC all her resolve not to stop ressurections at Valygar and get the heck outta there, dumping all possible romantic choices to rot in the crypt. Who knows, that might be safer not to fall in love...

Instead with grim resolve, carrying Solaufein's body and other ingredients needed to bring him back to life my PC went to the Temple we all know so well. Solaufein sortta appologized and said that it's not gonna happen again. Lol, but he also did not forget to mention how powerful HE was in undeath...

I hope, I hope he'd be more romantic from now on... He is drow after all, should know a thing or two about being charming with powerful females....
......................................................................................................................

Eocine

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2002, 07:11:04 AM »
Actually being the kind of person he is he probably knows nothing about being charming. He seems to be the type for whom most social interaction is to be avoided if at all possible. If that's not possible then end it quickly and flee. Which as a non Lolth worshipper he'd have to do to avoid his treasonous thoughts being suspected.                    

Eocine

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2002, 07:22:08 AM »
D&D, the game that (30+ years ago) started it all, was pretty much a playground for oversexed, under-socialized adolescent boys.

How does it work that you can be oversexed and undersocialized, unless they're having sex with themselves?                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2002, 08:24:11 AM »
Actually being the kind of person he is he probably knows nothing about being charming. He seems to be the type for whom most social interaction is to be avoided if at all possible. If that's not possible then end it quickly and flee. Which as a non Lolth worshipper he'd have to do to avoid his treasonous thoughts being suspected.
                   Mmmmm, I don't see any evidence either among the Bioware Solaufein content or the Weimer Solaufein content for this. On the contrary, Solaufein is rather chatty these days (he corners everybody in the party into two conversations, and of course the PC into far more), and he certainly doesn't back down often.                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Eocine

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2002, 08:41:32 AM »
... He is drow after all, should know a thing or two about being charming with powerful females....
......................................................................................................................
                   Sorry but it was this quote I was referring to. What I was trying to say was whilst amongst the drow it would have made sense for Sola to be as inconspicuous as possible amongst the most powerful females.                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2002, 10:46:52 AM »
How does it work that you can be oversexed and undersocialized, unless they're having sex with themselves?

Oversexed in the sense that sex was their main preoccupation, not that they were getting any.  As to their masturbatory habits... well, I leave that to the experts on adolescent male behavior.                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2002, 10:55:20 AM »
Sorry but it was this quote I was referring to. What I was trying to say was whilst amongst the drow it would have made sense for Sola to be as inconspicuous as possible amongst the most powerful females.

I agree.  I think his perceived chattiness after leaving the Underdark could be seen as the result of long pent-up desires to discuss anything philosophically.  Suddenly the world is open to him and he can talk openly about any subject that pleases him.                    

Baldy

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2002, 01:13:20 AM »
Hi Lisa, enjoyed your article. I felt they could've done a lot more on the epilogues too.

I disagree on several points tho:

1) I personally wouldn't want all the romance-able characters to be bi-friendly just for the sake of equality. The designers had a certain character in mind -- it's their baby, and if they don't see their character going a certain way -- all the more power to them. You can see this line of thinking in making Viconia not romanceable by an elf, etc. Besides, we can always hack it.

2) Having studied (popular) romance fiction in school for a little bit, it *seems* (from hearsay - since I always play male characters...) that Amoen fits pretty well into the bodice-ripper sort of romance hero -- the arrogant, initially-unlikeable manly man that the heroine has to tame. Along the same line as female fascination with wild horses or something like that. So I can see why the designers might have thought that it would be enjoyable for female gamers. Of course, I can't comment on the execution or the degree of asshole-ness in the romance, and the intersection between the RPG crowd and the Harlequin crowd is probably pretty slim.

btw Have you played Planescape Torment? Much as I love BG2, Torment is far superior in the "depth and complexity" department. And Fall-from-Grace and Annah are far more appealling than...anyone in BG2 (though in both cases, it only hints at a romance)                    

Mael

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2002, 07:41:44 AM »
Annah is superior to everything, everywhere...aah Annah!  ;)                    

[!--EDIT|Mael|Oct 16 2002, 02:42 PM--]

L_Jonté

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2002, 07:49:28 AM »
Hi Lisa, enjoyed your article. I felt they could've done a lot more on the epilogues too.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't want all the romance-able characters to be bi-friendly just for the sake of equality. The designers had a certain character in mind -- it's their baby, and if they don't see their character going a certain way -- all the more power to them. You can see this line of thinking in making Viconia not romanceable by an elf, etc. Besides, we can always hack it.

I don't recall saying that they should all be bisexual.  I said that the player should have the option of choosing her/his characters sexuality.  I'd have been happy if they had just given me some other option than Anomen.  :rolleyes:

Having studied (popular) romance fiction in school for a little bit, it *seems* (from hearsay - since I always play male characters...) that Amoen fits pretty well into the bodice-ripper sort of romance hero -- the arrogant, initially-unlikeable manly man that the heroine has to tame. Along the same line as female fascination with wild horses or something like that. So I can see why the designers might have thought that it would be enjoyable for female gamers. Of course, I can't comment on the execution or the degree of asshole-ness in the romance, and the intersection between the RPG crowd and the Harlequin crowd is probably pretty slim.

Argh!  Sorry.  Romance novels make my teeth itch.  As for the "hero" in most romance novles it goes even further than arrogant.  The template often says that he rapes the heroine, but really doesn't mean too.  They go to great lengths to justify that bit of garbage.  Thankfully, Anomen never goes that far.  Else I'd have hit him with a control-Y... ressurect... control-Y... ressurect... control-Y...

The female fascination for horses (wild or otherwise) as I understood it was based on the notion that horses are powerful yet quite gentle and loving creatures.  The notion of taming never entered into it that I was aware of.   At least, it never did for me.  ^_^

As for female RPGers that what they read, well, I can't speak for all of us but I will say that Harlaquin romances are bland pap.  If the game designers were working from the notion of romance in books then a better book to work from would have been Bard by Keith Taylor.  Frankly, I identify with Gudrun Blackhair more than any 'spunky underdog heroin' in a bodice ripper.

btw Have you played Planescape Torment?

Nope.  But I have heard a lot about it both good and bad.  Haven't decided yet if I want to buy it or spend the money on that wireless networking system I've been hankering for.   :D                      

Kismet

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2002, 07:54:37 AM »
He cheerfully spilled over my gaping PC a great dialogue saying how little she means to him and proceeded with killing off 4 out of six group members and astounded Drizzt. He made a particular effort to kill the PC (being successful at that at least 3 times!). There, in the Bodhi's layer standing over dead bodies of her 4 companions, barely alive herself, my PC was healed by the only other survivor. Infamouse somehow unscratched Anomen Delryn.

I know not what my PC was thinking, but I am sure the biggest jerk in Athkatla was grinning widely. It took my PC all her resolve not to stop ressurections at Valygar and get the heck outta there, dumping all possible romantic choices to rot in the crypt. Who knows, that might be safer not to fall in love...

Hehe...Domi  That very same thing happened to me last night.  Just my PC and Anomen were left standing after the Bodhi/Solaufein battle.  After being slaughtered by Solaufein repeatedly (not to mention the gloating beforehand)  I too was *so* tempted just to leave him rot there in Bodhi's lair.  

Kismet                    

alustriel

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2002, 08:31:22 AM »
:o  Oh well, I guess I'm one of the few that actually enjoys the Anomen romance, and I can't stand trashy romance novels.  I firmly believe that there's more to his character than most people care to dig out because they give up too quickly.  Call me an optimist and stubborn I guess.  Plus, in my experience, there are far more Anomen's in this messed up world than we'd like to admit. :P

Sola is something different and I'll readily admit that I half the time I'm not even sure what some of the dialogs are about on occasion because I'm not a big classical literature buff, nor am I really big on philosophy or poetry.  And it feels really strange to be romancing 2 characters at once with this mod.  I guess it's not in my nature.  [_[   I do like Sola, but he's just not quite my type I guess.  :unsure:

I actually gave up the Anomen romance route when Kelsey came along and have been happily playing Kelsey ever since.  Kelsey is more normal and definately someone that would be desirable in real life.  I'm not much on the High Fantasy romance stuff, and at times, Sola fits into that category.

/me prepares for flaming on the Anomen issue... Sigh.
 :ph34r:                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2002, 08:32:09 AM »
Nope.  But I have heard a lot about it both good and bad.  Haven't decided yet if I want to buy it or spend the money on that wireless networking system I've been hankering for.
                   Given that PST is $10, unless you're buying your wireless network off the back of a truck, it shouldn't impact too terribly on the total. :)                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

L_Jonté

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2002, 09:25:59 AM »
/me prepares for flaming on the Anomen issue... Sigh.

Anybody throwing flames at you for that has got to get through me first.  B)  

Just because I don't like him doesn't mean you can't.  :)   But I still prefer Sola.   :wub:                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2002, 09:30:31 AM »
Given that PST is $10, unless you're buying your wireless network off the back of a truck, it shouldn't impact too terribly on the total.

Is it!?  Heh, just shows how recently I've bothered to look at it, and how fluid my time-sense is.  I'd swear it ws $50... er... recently.   :rolleyes:

And that wireless network is $260 at Best Buy.  Yes, it costs far more that PST, but the idea of finally having cable internet on my laptop has me completey under its spell.  :D                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2002, 09:52:44 AM »
PST is $10, WITH Soulbringer included. Look in the budget rack section, it's in one of the insanely cool flippy boxes. (you'll see what I mean.)

Best Buy currently has a Netgear wireless router with 4-port wired switch for $100 after rebate. I have a Netgear wired router and an external Netgear wireless access point and I'm very pleased with both.

Best Buy also wants $60 for the laptop card from Netgear--which I am rather LESS enamored with, I'd recommend either spending a little more and getting a high-end Lucent/Agere/Orinoco card, or spending a little less for somebody else's wireless card (Outpost has a Hawking card for $46 after rebate.)

There. Save $100. Don't say I never did nothing nice for you. :)                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: