Author Topic: Can't exit the pocket plane?  (Read 2995 times)

raven

Can't exit the pocket plane?
« on: September 26, 2002, 03:13:14 AM »
Well, sometimes I experience a "can't exit pocket plane" bug after install Ascension. It seems not reproducible everytime, and sometimes when I enter pocket plane with the special ability, and when I want to exit from it, the game just suck, no loading of maps, and it shows my party standing in the pocket plance exit area with no interface nor any control over the characters. Wonder if it's an Ascension bug? :o                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 09:54:18 AM »
There has only been one similar report -- a while ago someone had an Ascension install that would crash to the desktop whenever he tried to leave the pocket plane. His save game did not exhibit the bug on my computer, leading me to label it a local install problem.

You may want to try deleting your cache, tempsave and temp directories (sometimes bad stuff gets stuck there) and then retrying. If that fails, just about the only thing I can tell you to do is to backup your dialog.tlk and saved games and re-install bg2 from the ground up. This has a 99.9% success rate in fixing mysterious problems without huting your saved games, but is tragically boring.

The Grassy Gnoll

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
I just experienced this same bug this morning while trying to leave the pocket plane. This had never occured previously and has now happened on 7 straight attempts. I cleared my cache and it still happened. I'll try clearing my cache tempsave and temp directories tonight to see if that does it.                    

klaussner

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 02:10:31 PM »
This doesn't seem a local bug, I experienced it also (crashed EVERYTIME) untill I reinstalled the whole lot.                    

The Grassy Gnoll

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 03:55:36 PM »
I doubt this problem is local as well. I was able to exit the pocket plane after loading my auto-save up. Luckily, it wasn't too far behind my present location in the game so it didn't kill me. So it maybe a slight corruption of the save-game file in terms of reacting to Ascension. But i am far from an expert.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2002, 06:57:45 PM »
I'm not sure what you two mean by "local" here.

If it were a global problem, everyone would see it. In particular, I would run into it all the time (and would thus presumably have fixed it).

If it can be fixed by reinstalling everything (note that in reinstalling everything, the Mod source code and data files do not change) it is hard to attribute it to the mod, since the mod remained unchanged while the problem went away.

However, it does seem to bite a few people. One possibility is that some mod component is "stressing" the game in a way that it wasn't stressed before. I.e., the game (or some local install) was always buggy, but nothing had pushed on it hard enough to show the problem before.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: