Author Topic: translating Item Upgrade mod  (Read 3705 times)

Artemidore

translating Item Upgrade mod
« on: August 24, 2002, 08:40:25 PM »
Hmm. Well. Cespy's words are... tricky.  :huh:

I'm doing my best, and Weimer advised me to do a rather *free* translation when things were not clear, but... heh! I like the stuff I understand, and I'm trying to understand a little bit more. ;)

So, does the word "celeritous" exist? I understand what it means, but is it really an english word, or is Cespenar actually wrong? (@944)

Is the "shoe tree" a real tree, or is it a joke? (@47)

What is this "fashion plate"? (@986)

"Must recitfy"? (@89)

Weimer already told me about the "I'm just talking about Valygar" line being a play on "I'm just talkin' bout Shaft" (which I didn't know -- by the way, which movie is it from?). Do you see more jokes like this one, more references to american culture? Answers would make the job a bit easier!  :P                    

[!--EDIT|Artemidore|Aug 25 2002, 04:41 AM--]

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 10:41:57 PM »
Celeritous was Wes's choice for the word, he came up with it for the item. But it's real.

"shoe tree" is a real thing, it's a rack you hang a lot of shoes on.

"fashion plate" is someone who is very fashionable. Stands out. Exemplifies high fashion.

"rectify" is like "correct", as in "we must change this situation."

"Shaft" is the movie that reference is from. The theme song is a song about the title character and talks about how tough and studly he is and he says

I don't remember if anything else was an Americanism...                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kish

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2002, 12:22:41 AM »
Ah, but what is "recitfy"?  Is that an Artemidore typo, or a Weimer typo?                    

Artemidore

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 06:19:12 AM »
Ah, but what is "recitfy"?  Is that an Artemidore typo, or a Weimer typo?
                   It's a Weimer typo. However, I did not download the latest version yet, so maybe it is already fixed.

Thanks for your help!                    

reiella

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 10:36:16 AM »
Celeritous is a real word.  Effectively an adjective form of the base celerity.

It pretty much means fast, switch, rapid action.                    

Artemidore

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 04:32:56 PM »
Celerity also exists in French, but there is no adjective form, and my dictionary doesn't know the word *celeritous*. Even Cespenar isn't quite sure that the word is real!  :D I was also wondering whether it is a neologism. Ok, then I will think of an uncommon synonym for *fast* in the translation. Thanks!

By the way, I checked the latest version: the typo is still here (*recitfy* @89.) Weimer, if you read this post...                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2002, 10:43:18 PM »
OK, typo fixed locally. Looking for other "americanisms" ...

The "check" in 43 is like l'addition, the  bill at a restaurant. Jason, does the line about "buy you lunch or BLAMMO" have any relation to "TAKE YOU OUT TO LUNCH"? Happy coincidence?

In 946, the "good on men" thing is a reference to the fact that even if male shoes have heels, the word "heel" is almost never mentioned in conjunction with men's footwear.

In 962 the reputation bit is a play on the in-game reputation-based discount.

"Goody two-shoes" is a sort of ... derogatory? diminutive? depends on the context ... term for someone who is forthright and lawful. If you are a kid on a playground and another kid tattles on you, calling that kid a goody two-shoes is an insult of sorts. It has overtones like "stuffy", "stiff" and "boring".

Just noticed typo in 87, "bring our your eyes" should be "bring out your eyes". Means "make your eyes look nice" or "draw attention to your eyes".

In English "bowing" and "scraping" often go together: "the courtier bowed and scraped before the king". Sort of like "kow-tow".

Thanks everything I can see in cespy.tra that looks "non-obvious". But I'm clearly biased.                    

[!--EDIT|weimer|Aug 25 2002, 09:44 PM--]

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 01:16:14 AM »

Jason, does the line about "buy you lunch or BLAMMO" have any relation to "TAKE YOU OUT TO LUNCH"? Happy coincidence?

Glad SOMEBODY finally noticed. :)

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Artemidore

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2002, 01:17:24 PM »
Ok, everyting is clear by now, and I am done with Cespy!  B)

Cromwell and the item descriptions should be easier to translate!!!                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: