Author Topic: Solaufein's initial spells  (Read 1664 times)

Kish

Solaufein's initial spells
« on: August 19, 2002, 06:36:47 AM »
I'm just wondering, Wes.  The spells Solaufein has memorized when I pick him up seem slightly at odds with your usual newsgroup advice (Wyvern's Call instead of Protection from Magical Weapons or Protection from Magical Energy or Improved Haste; not a Stoneskin in sight).  Are those just other spells you use a lot, or did you have a particular reason for picking them?                    

Kiki

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 02:50:52 PM »
I thought it was peculiar that he came with Spider Spawn, all things considered. If anything, that seems like the one spell he should not be able to cast. Could be a nice touch if the spell was inscribed in his spellbook but he was unable to actually cast it.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 12:40:50 AM »
Solaufein comes with el-weirdo spells because ... (drumroll)

... when I first made his CRE, Near Infinity was the only option (TeamBG had some 'CRE Maker' or something but it was read-only) *and* it would crash or produce invalid CREs if you tried to cut/paste or otherwise modify spell lists. So if you look closely, you'll discover that Solaufein's spell selection is more or less a copy of Edwin's. I made an effort to include some of the more powerful spells (because people often complain that Imoen2 can't cut it unless you bring a library with you for her to read on entry) but all of that "summon X elemental" junk is left over from our favorite conjurer.

As for Pro-Magic Weapons, Improved Haste, etc. I don't want Solaufein to start with every advantage in the world. If he were a ToB-only character that would be OK. But in SoA you can't really/easily get a pro-magic weapons scroll before the underdark anyway. He comes replete with all of the spells your other party mages should have at that time, more or less (unless you did the underdark dead last and they're all 18th level masters).

I debated Spider Spawn, but I'm sure other Drow would expect him to be able to cast that particular spll as a wizard. It would "blow his cover" to refuse every time.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: