Author Topic: Sola's Quest  (Read 1961 times)

Mike B.

Sola's Quest
« on: August 16, 2002, 04:51:05 PM »
I just finished up in Ust Natha and thought of a great new Sola quest.  As you may recall, you meet the Drow mercenary Jarlaxe in Ust Natha which allows you to wipe out the House Jaellat and assault Deirex the lich.  Then, you destroy the ranking members of the House Despana. Sola, the head of the male fighters society, joins your party.  But there are no long term consequences to your party?  Yes, Sola attracts the revenge spiders and Archryssa.  But what about your party?  Nothing.  You inflict the most damage in Ust Natha in centuries and nobody cares?  Consider also Sola's epilogue (minor spoiler ahead) where he finds an above ground village of Drow Eilistraee worshippers.  Where did they come from?  I enjoyed the duels in the Ust Natha tavern.  But even the description for the Ring of Energy implies the Drow have regularly scheduled arranged fights between Houses.  Where were they?  The Eclipse party is the closest thing to a duel in the game.

My request for Sola's Quest is as follows.  Jarlaxe dimension doors to the party and requests they accompany him back to Ust Natha to fight in a scheduled duel against representatives from the Houses Despana and Jaellat.  The winner of the duel decides the fate of several dozen Eilistraee worshippers.  Jarlaxe mentions no powerful Drow will fight on the worshippers behalf.  However, the Houses want revenge and are willing to duel the party.  Jarlaxe states that the deaths of the worshippers would be bad for business and he is willing to coach the party about the other duelists strengths and weaknesses.  He comments that each member must fight alone and no party member can fight more than once.  The party must win at least half the matches to be victorious.

I'd like to see Wes whip up six tough opponents with optimal coding.  Maybe the difficulity slider could determine the accuracy of Jarlaxe's coaching (I thought the big ugly one was a cleric not a Beserker!) Maybe Deirex could be one of the opponents.  You'd have to decide which one of your party members stands the best chance of winning the match.  Guess right and free the worshippers.  Guess wrong and meet Lolth personally! The duel could occur in Chapter 6 after talking with Elhan or in Chapter 8 after Saraush.  Tell me what you think.

reiella

Sola's Quest
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 06:57:33 PM »
Trouble is that at leats, storyline wise, Ust Natha has a fair chance of being completely empty.  1) If you take too long after betraying Ardulace and Phaere, the city gates will close and you'll need to clear the entire city to open.  Also you can go back to Ust Natha after returning the eggs and the city will be aggro and clearable.  There's also the tidbit with Adalon at least vaguely implying causing trouble for Ust Natha.

Probably want it in another drow city, like say Sshamath (Under Far Hills which is further north, close to Baldur's Gate actually), which is actually ruled by the male wizards with the female clerics of Lolth being second fiddle.  The environment there makes it a bit more feasible/possible for the situation of not just flat out killing the Eilistraee followers in a 'sport'.

Although, Jaraxle himself may not be the best choice of a person to send out, as that side quest is completely optional (never bother to use the rope, and you don't have to do it).  He's also not a 'nice' person and wouldn't concern himself all too much in this matter, unless one of the houses paid him to be concerned.

Difficulty influencing 'hints' doesn't work so well, since as prep is already a blatant given, so is metagame preperation especially with the high end tactical combats.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: