Author Topic: Improved Sahuagin City  (Read 5745 times)

Mike B.

Improved Sahuagin City
« on: August 09, 2002, 07:13:47 PM »
I just installed the latest Sola mod that includes the improved Sahuagin city.  This is a MUST have mod.  The city used to be so boring.  Not any more!  The battle for the Cloak of Mirrors (Cheese) took me three tries on core rules.  You haven't lived until three of your characters are swallowed hole in the middle of combat!  The Minor Avatar of Sekolah alone is worth the time to download this mod.  

Preparation is the key to victory in this new city.  I used to able walk around with little to no buffs, run wild and never rest.  I wouldn't recommend that in the improved city.   Every encounter is a challenge.  Rebel soldiers (not just clerics and magic users) casting magic missle, skeletons rising up to avenge sahuagin deaths, clerics calling for reinforcements.  I actually thought twice about moving around the city, wondering if the next encounter could be my last.

I agree with Wes, this mod is not for low level parties.  My average level was 15th (did EVERY Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 optional quest before Spellhold).  You could try this with a lower level party, but I think you'd have to be a tactical genius to not get frustrated.

Finally, a question for Wes (minor spoiler ahead.)  Why does the Minor Avatar give a scroll of Freedom as its only treasure?  I got my three characters back without using it.  Was I supposed to use the scroll? If not how about a different scroll as a reward say Horrid Wilting or Spellstrike?

Also, could the Sahuagin drop more potions of Extra Healing?  Thank god my party had plenty before the city, I think I used at least 8 or 9 during  the battle for the Cloak of Mirrors.  I went through a lot of extra healing potions in the improved city.

Thank you for a job well done!  

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Sahuagin City
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 07:21:37 PM »
I just installed the latest Sola mod that includes the improved Sahuagin city.  This is a MUST have mod.

Have I mentioned recently how much I enjoy this sort of commentary? Wow, I feel like such a sybarite.

The city used to be so boring.  Not any more!  The battle for the Cloak of Mirrors (Cheese) took me three tries on core rules.  You haven't lived until three of your characters are swallowed hole in the middle of combat!  The Minor Avatar of Sekolah alone is worth the time to download this mod.

This particular bit was actually suggested by someone (either here or via email). It may even have been you, because I've completely forgotten who mentioned it. Could the guilty party step forward?

Rebel soldiers (not just clerics and magic users) casting magic missle,

Actually, they're casting things like "Water Jet", "Salt Crystal", "Ice Shard" and "Rainstorm", low-level water-based innate abilities (taken from mephits).  Just to break up the crossbow monotony. :-)

You could try this with a lower level party, but I think you'd have to be a tactical genius to not get frustrated.

Some cheese is still possibly. You could get pretty far with the shield of reflection, say.

Finally, a question for Wes (minor spoiler ahead.)  Why does the Minor Avatar give a scroll of Freedom as its only treasure?  I got my three characters back without using it.  Was I supposed to use the scroll? If not how about a different scroll as a reward say Horrid Wilting or Spellstrike?

You lost three characters and still took him down? Anyway, they should be freed the same way valen should "die the final death" when killed. But we've already seen that that doesn't always work (e.g., if you killed the avatar by stat drains or something). So the scroll is there "just in case".

Also, could the Sahuagin drop more potions of Extra Healing?

They each start with two. If you aren't seeing that many, it's because they are using them during the battle. :-) Try to kill them faster. Plus, you can always run back to that cleric way in the north-west and ask for healing.

Thank you for a job well done!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.                    

oopsilon

Improved Sahuagin City
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 01:10:05 AM »
I just installed the latest Sola mod that includes the improved Sahuagin city.  This is a MUST have mod.  The city used to be so boring.  Not any more!  The battle for the Cloak of Mirrors (Cheese) took me three tries on core rules.  You haven't lived until three of your characters are swallowed hole in the middle of combat!  The Minor Avatar of Sekolah alone is worth the time to download this mod.  

I agree with Wes, this mod is not for low level parties.  My average level was 15th (did EVERY Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 optional quest before Spellhold).  You could try this with a lower level party, but I think you'd have to be a tactical genius to not get frustrated.
Finally, something to bring the Sahuagin city up to par!  The only problem I see is that I want to get Sola as early as possible so I can have him interject and forcibly drag my Cleric-Mage to the good side, and having a tougher might prove a bit too much for a level 12ish group.  Still, can't wait to jump in!                    

JAG

Improved Sahuagin City
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 06:16:58 AM »
Holy cow Wes...
   I actually had mentioned an upgraded battle for the Cloak of Cheese in a feedback post in the other weimer mods forum, (which good Lord you put together in 2 days???), but instead you turned this city into a (albeit wonderfully fun) nightmare!  My first time attacking the first group of 4 Sahuagin, I didn't buff at all and I lost a character and had barely even scratched them, so I reloaded and buffed up a bit.  This time was actually WORSE as Keldorn, at the start of the fight, immediately got brought down to 4/115 hps (insane level, 3-4 hits did it) and was stunned, and I ended up losing 4 chars including the protagonist.  Ok...I did get the hang of it after that and made sure I was thoroughly prepared ahead of time and started very careful planning.  In case anyone else is having difficulties here, here are some observations...(and spoilers about the fights if you haven't seen them yet)
   For reference, my party was PetyrBaelish (level 12/15 fighter/thief), Minsc (level 16 barbarian), Keldorn (level 15 Inquisitor), Jahiera (level 12/13 fighter/cleric), Nalia (level 15 sorceress), and Imoen (level 15 wild mage).
   Do NOT let them sit back and shoot those bolts at you, as mentioned in the help file, they're highly damaging, hit at a high percentage (called shot), and of course the stunning is very bad.  I recommend rushing your melee chars in there as fast as possible (Imp. haste, Boots of Speed) and having your spellcasters use party-friendly spells (Greater Malison, Slow, Holy Smite are your friends).  Mordies are quite handy if you can summon them at this point.  Watch out, sometimes an archer will do a loop and attack you after a break.  Concentrate on one at a time, as they seem to Mass Cure upon death or at least cast it often and it'll give you more extra healing potions (you'll need 'em).  Take them out in small groups at a time (usually 4), fighting 7-12 is very difficult.
   As for the Priestess and the Minor Avatar of Sekolah battle, definitely concentrate on fighting the Avatar first, as the priestess/mage pretty much only uses her meteors for weapons.  He sees through invisibility and I think you'll need +3 weapons or better to take him down so be prepared.  The priestess is pretty tough to kill, but not much of an offensive threat...if you have the Holy Avenger or Staff of Magi at this point, hit her with that because she's got buffs up the wazoo, including Improved Mantle so you'll need a pretty good weapon to hit her anyway.   Also, if at all possible, bring her down quick because her contingency is another Imp. Mantle, Stoneskin, and Heal (grrr).  I was able to beat these guys the first time through, but be ready to suck down healing pots (Keldorn again at one point was down to 3 hps and still bleeding but drank it just in time, whew)...fortunately he didn't swallow any of my guys, but they bled for a while.  I haven't yet fought the king and his cronies but I suspect that's going to be a real nasty fight.
   In short, treat all of these guys like serious enemies, because now they are!  Be prepared in every fight and try not to get spotted by multiple groups at the same time.
   Wes, this is one of your best ones...you've turned what used to be a sleepwalk into a really challenging and fun series of fights.  Thank you sir, you are the MAN!

Jamie                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Sahuagin City
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2002, 09:52:32 AM »
I've added your reference to README spoiler section. This didn't take that long because I only had to change some scripts (basically, replace wtasight with something useful) and CRE files (unify equipment, stats, level, etc.).

I'm glad that you're enjoying it.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: