Author Topic: Improved Ilyich  (Read 4721 times)

Kiki

Improved Ilyich
« on: August 08, 2002, 10:22:28 PM »
Has anyone ever managed to sneak by and get the Sword of Chaos? I tried to send an invisible Imoen past them to go pickpocket the djinn, but they started attacking and she had to run for it. Only the glabrezu followed, fortunately, but I couldn't hit it with any of my +1 weapons, so I had to kill it the hard way--one insect swarm at a time.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Ilyich
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 11:01:03 AM »
It's much harder now than it used to be: Zhivago will now cast True Sight if you muck around in the room for too long while invisible. However, if there is only one character in your party (put M, J and I in some room, close the door, and then dismiss them, come back for them later and say "just kidding") who is invisible and hasted you should be able to make it to the plane of air if you want to. :-)

Getting out again may not be all that fun.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Ilyich
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2002, 11:01:59 AM »
To answer the question you didn't ask, other spells (notably Magic Missile) also work on the Glabrezu. If you have a mage with the otherwise-useless "Enchanted Weapon" spell, that could also do it.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Improved Ilyich
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2002, 11:26:55 AM »
You know, it's a shame that we haven't heard from Peter Scolari, now that this mod has been given form.                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Kiki

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2002, 12:09:38 PM »
It's much harder now than it used to be: Zhivago will now cast True Sight if you muck around in the room for too long while invisible.
The glabrezu attacked before the good doctor cast True Sight, and anyway, Imoen had already bolted for the rest of the party by the time TS was in effect. I think I did use MM on the glabrezu, but didn't have enough to finish it off.

Personally, I thought the constant rune assassin spawning while you were trying to get a decent night's sleep was a lot harder to deal with than the Ilyich fight (nothing like two druids with six insect plagues/swarms between them to keep a fallen deva in hell where it belongs). I was just wondering if it was even possible to get someone invisible past Ilyich's buddies.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Ilyich
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 12:19:41 PM »
Your main PC is some part druid? :-) Totemic, one hopes.

I would try to "tone down" the spawning chance for the assassins, but I don't really understand how the game interprets it. There are some mystery numbers like "5" and "10" but I don't know if low is more often or less often or what. In addition, when I try to run tests and change them it doesn't really seem to do anything. :-( [ However, I do think it is a nice idea in general: Imoen does have that dialogue about "you must be brave to rest here", and yet in the real game it doesn't take any courage at all. ]

Anyway, it is possible to get the Sword of Chaos for the fight. It's just probably not the optimal strategy. :-) I've gotten victory reports from people who have done it, though.                    

[!--EDIT|weimer|Aug 9 2002, 11:20 AM--]

Kiki

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 12:30:13 PM »
Yes, I'm playing a totemic druid, after reading some favorable review (from you, I think?). So far, I'm failing to grasp its capabilities, but maybe I just need to level up a bit more. I haven't gotten very far into this new game.

My strategy for the fight was to set some traps. Leaving most of my party and various summons at the entrance to the library, a hasted Imoen was sent as bait (because I didn't want my fighters to fall victim to one of the Classic Blunders--hilarious, by the way). As soon as Ilyich appeared, Jaheira and my druid started casting the 5th-level insect spell. Imoen and Yoshimo (with the wand) nailed Zhivago with MM as soon as he showed up, which disinvited the deva to the party. After that, the insect spells kept the cleric out of commission, and it was mostly just a matter of hack and slash from that point on. Good fun!                    

mstaley007

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 08:07:42 PM »
I really liked the Improved Ilyich modification that Weimer made, for what it does. It made what should be a difficult encounter actually very difficult, and it took me several shots to beat it.

I managed to beat it by luring out the demon and jumping it in the library mainly using magic. I really wasn't that tough. I than rested, summoned some woodland beings and an ogre, hasted, blessed, group strengthed, etc. I ran the ogre in and blocked, and kept the two woodland being back. I than ran in Imoen and began pounded on Zhivago, and used my Kensai against Ilyich and Rasputin. I took Minsc with a magic staff and Jaheira with a magically created club and took on the Jailkeep golem. I used the Woodland beings to cast holds and confusions and managed to freeze up Ilyich and shredded him. Yoshimo backstabbed someone and Minsc engaged. Yoshimo got killed by the Golem and so did Jaheira, but I *barely* managed to finish the engagement.

To pull this off, I had to complete the entire dungeon first, than go back.

Other suggestions would be to just plain improve all of Chateau Irenicus. Suggestions for this would be:

*Buffing up those final theives before your exit to the level of Ilyich.

*Introduce a blocking force by the exit of some signifigance, maybe some high level Shadow Thieves or Vampires.

*The Druegar in the forge room should be much tougher. It's an important room.

*Just in general - get rid of all those wimpy assassins. Only cadre would attempt this mission.

*When the Genie summons that Ogre Mage for the "Noble Path" choice, make it something really difficult!

*The Air Elemental plane should really be guarded by at least one Air Elemental.

*The Cambion-in-a-jar should be really tough, with better armor and sword.

*Ferdanan the Doppleganger is a complete push over. Make him something really, really powerful. Maybe for some extra text, he was the head Doppleganger who helped take over Candlekeep, assisted Sarevok and was "picked up" for info on tracking you. Level 10 fighter / Level 20 mage would be nice :)

Also - please loose the ambushing Rune Assassins when you sleep (and rename the others to something Shadow Thief related, they aren't Rune Assassins) is annoying more than difficult. More thieves, but make resting easier.

All the best,
Mike

Sein_Schatten

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2002, 12:02:42 PM »
Wuuhuuu!! Thats a veeeryyy tough fight. But I have done it. On hard.
My char is a beholder with Gauth attacks. I have this race change mod. First I killed the demon. I sepparated him. Sleep. Next I got Ilyich and the golem. My rays defeated the golem very quick. The big problem was Ilyich with his slow aura. Thanks to the unkillable Imoen. She got the whole attacks but never initiated the run away dialog. Perhaps she couldnt go to me. :blink: The last two enemies wasnt very hard to defeat.
Without Imoen and my Beholderrays(Contagion, Flamearrow15lvl, Melfs12lvl, serious wounds, paralyse and slow) I couldnt win it. :(                    

Althernai

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2002, 03:57:42 PM »
*Ferdanan the Doppleganger is a complete push over. Make him something really, really powerful. Maybe for some extra text, he was the head Doppleganger who helped take over Candlekeep, assisted Sarevok and was "picked up" for info on tracking you. Level 10 fighter / Level 20 mage would be nice :)
                   :lol:  You don't know what you are asking for, or you can't possibly be serious. A 10/20 fighter/mage?  :o  Think Kuirosan with 9th level spell capabilities - that thing would be unstoppable.                    

Althernai

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2002, 04:11:51 PM »
Arghh... I suppose you have to be registered to edit messages.

In any case, mstaley007, it just occured to me that you may have wanted to put an invincible character in the cage to punish people for their gullibility - not a nice thing to do and a waste of effort - no one will open the cage twice (or even once if they knew what's inside).                    

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2002, 05:04:20 PM »
Hehe, I think he wants to have at every corner a near impossible fight. Somewhat boring. :D                    

Althernai

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2002, 08:18:02 PM »
This is totally unrelated to previous posts, but I don't want to start two threads in the same half hour.

Your Improved Ilyich gang cheats - after getting hit with Symbol Fear and turning yellow, they continue to use their abilities. That is, Rasputin uses stunning blow and attacks (sometimes running away) and Zhivago tries to cast spells (granted, he hasn't gotten one off yet - changes his mind in the middle and runs). I think it's legal to attack while panicking, but not to use stunning blow or cast a spell.                    

reiella

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2002, 11:18:10 AM »
This also holds true with the improved random encounters.

They do fun stuff like attack the person who charmed them if they get charmed and such.                    

Kiki

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2002, 11:49:05 AM »
Your Improved Ilyich gang cheats - after getting hit with Symbol Fear and turning yellow, they continue to use their abilities.
                   What are you doing with Symbol: Fear in the first dungeon? Seems like if you cheat, they should get to cheat, too.  :D                    

alson

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2002, 12:53:37 PM »
What are you doing with Symbol: Fear in the first dungeon? Seems like if you cheat, they should get to cheat, too.  :D
                   You CAN get a Symbol: Fear scroll in the first dungeon.
Some of the goblins drop random treasure... I guess he was just really lucky.
I got a Mislead scroll, once.                    

Althernai

Improved Ilyich
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2002, 02:17:15 PM »
You misunderstood - it wasn't I who used Symbol Fear against them. I was fighting Rasputin and Zhivago, when the latter tossed a Symbol Fear at me, scaring everyone present except Imoen. I am not even sure if it was Symbol Fear, but it looked very much like it.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Ilyich
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2002, 07:44:37 PM »
Props to Kiki. Anyway, sorry about that fear/charm thing, but there is no convenient way around it in IE scripting. I'd have to protect all special abilities with "I Am Not Afraid". I guess I could, but the incentive is real low.

Most of my enemies have "Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)" before they attack someone. So the "charm and keep attacking" thing is a game engine bug -- you charm them, but they're still in the middle of the old Attack() action, so they keep going. GB has some choice words about Attack vs. AttackReevaluate vs. AttackYada ... pause when they are charmed and give them a new action.

I could fix the fear, but I can't really fix the charm.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: