Author Topic: Know Any WeiDU Mods?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« on: August 06, 2002, 01:02:20 AM »
I'd like to update the list of WeiDU created mods on my page. Do you know of a WeiDU mod that I haven't heard of and officially listed somewhere? If so, please post a link or otherwise tell me about it. Even inchoate projects are welcome.                    

Catalyst

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 03:43:37 PM »
Hi Wes, I noticed you've added the Baldurdash Fixpack in WeiDU format to your website. Similar (but in many cases superior IMHO) is the Sorcerer's Place Fixpack, which has recently converted to WeiDU for its dialogue fixes:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors3.htm

It fixes just about everything Baldurdash's fixpack does (but in many cases more effectively), and more. The one thing about it is, at this point it is Shadows of Amn only (no Throne of Bhaal).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 03:48:22 PM »
What, exactly, is technically superior about the SP implementation?

It's definitely more thoroughly documented, I'll give it that. :)                    

[!--EDIT|jcompton|Aug 7 2002, 10:51 PM--]
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Catalyst

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 06:13:44 PM »
Well, for one, almost every fix is retroactive (broken dialogues can be re-attempted, etc.). Since these fixpacks are generally installed when BG2 is first installed (not after bugs start to show up), this generally isn't a big deal.

Otherwise, I think the solutions are just a bit more thorough. For example, in Bodhi's lair sometimes key vampires don't spawn, and then when killed (turned into gaseous form) their coffins fail to become "stakeable". Baldurdash fixes the latter problem, the SP Fixpack does also and then additionally introduces a second spawning sequence if key vampires are missing to begin with. A lot of the SP Fixpack fixes are like that--they do what Baldurdash's do, then go a step further.

Finally, there are the fixes that aren't in Baldurdash's at all, though now that BD's is in WeiDU there may be a new influx of additions. One example:

1.10. Inability to deal Glaicas in non-hostile way (AR1303.BCS)
Inside De'Arnise hold you can pick up a part for flail of ages from a person called Glaicas. The script was supposed to make Glaicas neutral and talking to you if you charm him with any Charm spell (Charm, Dire Charm, Domination). But there are two problems:
- Script fails to turn Glaicas neutral (because the command is not issued with ActionOverride), so player can't talk to him by any means.
- Script fails to dispel magic on Glaicas so he stays charmed/dominated. This results in player's inability to talk to him because talking to charmed/dominated creatures is not possible. And because of problem above player also can't talk to him after the charm/domination effect expires.
Solved by replacing application of wizard's dispel magic with special innate force dispel magic which works always. Turning Glaicas to neutral is actually redundant because he'll start talking to player automatically and will manage to turn to neutral within the dialog, so this is left as it is - bugged. Just to demonstrate this beauty to possible Bioware's QA "advocates".
This fix cannot be found at Baldurdash.

Note, I am not saying the SP Fixpack is purely superior, it came out a long time after Baldurdash's and so had it to build on. However, it is currently updated semi-regularly...it's a shame it's not ToB compatible or I'd use it. I only mention it because I too was impressed with the documentation and noticed it had recently incorporated WeiDU into its listed technologies.  :D                    

japheth

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 07:33:35 PM »
Well first off, when I set out to do this, I didn't even know about the SP fixpack until jcompton told me about it.  I just thought that modders and gamers would like to see all the Baldurdash fixes contained in one archive for easy installation and compatibility.

I agree that SP's has went a step beyond with certain fixes and would be more than happy to incorporate them in the installer as well.  In fact, I've asked Extremist about this already and he seems to want to keep it on SP, which is fine.

As for the documention, I'll admit that my files aren't really that well documented (except for maybe the TOB fixes tp2 file), however, it's my experience that the end user doesn't really care about documentation.  And I built this installer with the end user in mind.

There is a "developer's" version as well.  Perhaps when I get the time I'll document it a little more heavily.                    

[!--EDIT|japheth|Aug 7 2002, 11:45 PM--]

Blucher

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 09:46:34 PM »
Hey, that Glaicas fix is totally mine. :-)                    

Catalyst

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2002, 01:08:18 AM »
Well first off, when I set out to do this, I didn't even know about the SP fixpack until jcompton told me about it.  I just thought that modders and gamers would like to see all the Baldurdash fixes contained in one archive for easy installation and compatibility.

I agree that SP's has went a step beyond with certain fixes and would be more than happy to incorporate them in the installer as well.  In fact, I've asked Extremist about this already and he seems to want to keep it on SP, which is fine.

As for the documention, I'll admit that my files aren't really that well documented (except for maybe the TOB fixes tp2 file), however, it's my experience that the end user doesn't really care about documentation.  And I built this installer with the end user in mind.

There is a "developer's" version as well.  Perhaps when I get the time I'll document it a little more heavily.
Japheth, I certainly didn't want to step on any toes here. Wes asked for other WeiDU mods, I noticed SP Fixpack, so I posted about it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept of making Baldurdash WeiDU, and appreciate the work you undertook to make it so (and, since it's ToB compatible, I'll definitely be using it  :D  ).

I'm sorry to hear about Extremist wanting to keep his work on SP, I think it would make a great addition...but it *is* his, after all...

I also happen to like thorough documentation, I'm not sure if that's common or not for end users. In any case, I didn't mean to try and one-up your efforts by touting SP as a superior version or anything of the sort--I was just trying to be thorough. Thanks for your work on this, I look forward to the development of Baldurdash-WeiDU!

[EDIT] Blucher, I'm only the messenger. Go bang on Extremist's door about Glaicas.  :P  [/EDIT]                    

[!--EDIT|Catalyst|Aug 8 2002, 08:10 AM--]

japheth

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2002, 06:58:58 AM »
Hey, no worries, no toes were stepped upon.  I just wanted to give my reasoning for doing a project like this.  :)                    

Extremist

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 12:48:49 PM »
The SPfixpack is a fixpack and it can't nor won't contain any cheats or tweaks inside. Otherwise it would not be called as fixpack. That's why I couldn't bless Japheth's request where he ought to add it on tweaks. Sorry.

Glaicas fix is not Blucher's, but mine. I mean, I don't see any Blucher here:
http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimateb...ic;f=2;t=005021

ToB compatibility will be made in time. I simply can't get enough time for that now. And I must remind you that SPfixpack (SoA part) still needs about 50 things to get fixed - spells mostly.

The documentation there was designed for any person who wants to make BG2 mods and fixes. Some things I've discovered while making those fixes were never documented before.
One thing: The documentation was not designed for Vaskez and mPrilla's rude company and it was not designed for cheating.
And I hope it's advanced enough, I've tried to put all important details inside with some comments so it doesn't get boring to a reader. ;)

And sorry for not posting anything before on the matter, my mainboard exploded more than a week ago. And in my country, you can't get the new one just like that. Trust me.                    

[!--EDIT|Extremist|Aug 12 2002, 07:50 PM--]

Dyara

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2002, 02:24:25 PM »
Perhaps there´s more than one Glaicas fix :D (since it isn´t really a big one ;)). I´ve found this one some time ago at bwscript. I think it´s Gebhard´s fix.                    

Extremist

Know Any WeiDU Mods?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2002, 04:16:20 PM »
It doesn't matter anyway. As long as it is a proper fix and not cheat/tweak. Right?  ;)   :D                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: