Author Topic: Ease suggestion: Uber storekeeper(s)  (Read 3679 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Ease suggestion: Uber storekeeper(s)
« on: August 05, 2002, 11:09:52 PM »
Now, mind you, purists, this is for Ease of Use... a mod for people who want to shake things up a bit...

If such a thing could be automated (thinking along the lines of Spell-50-level effort here), here's a thought:

When we start a game in TOB, or simply want to equip a party for fun, we can go through with SK or NI, and that's okay, but I find it's faster to just give myself a ton of gold and go shopping.

How about making a few stores that have ... all of the magic items in the game at rock-bottom prices?                    

[!--EDIT|jcompton|Aug 6 2002, 06:10 AM--]
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Artemidore

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 09:13:03 PM »
How about making a few stores that have ... all of the magic items in the game at rock-bottom prices?

That's a good idea, but the list of the items would be hard to write, for most of them are quickly useless in TOB. OK for the staff of Magi, but do you really want to buy the fire-axe +3? I just CreatItems via the CLUAConsole thing, but I guess it goes faster with SK.  :)

If such a thing could be automated (thinking along the lines of Spell-50-level effort here), here's a thought:

There is something I feel really boring: walking through empty dungeons. I mean especially the Temple ruins dungeon (you have to go back through it after beating the Shadow lord and afterwhiles in order to devamp your beloved), and the shadow guild thieves (you have to cross it at least thrice if you side with Aran Linvail, while there's nothing interesting to do in there).

Would it be possible to have someone (a shadow thief for the guild and... i don't know whom for the temple ruins) who brings you automatically to the location you want to go, like the boy you meet after Gaelan Bayle's offer?                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 09:38:56 PM »
That's a good idea, but the list of the items would be hard to write, for most of them are quickly useless in TOB.

It could be for leaving the start dungeon, too.

There is something I feel really boring: walking through empty dungeons.

That's what CTRL+J is for. :) Do CLUAConsole:ExploreArea() if necessary, and then go where you need to go with CTRL+J.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

reiella

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 10:24:30 PM »
Actually you don't have to walk through the Shade Lord Temple thingy again after beating the Shade Lord, there are a few Map Exit spots you can reach once he's dead.

Big trouble I see with automating this however, is just that there are so many 'trash' items in the database that are 1) Bugged, 2) Oh So Very Not Meant For The Player to Use, and 3) Plot-Critical.

3 is easy enough to get around, the duplicitious entries in the item database are the downsides (how many boots of speed are there?)                    

Catalyst

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 01:37:30 AM »
According to SK, there are four Boots of Speed. Only the fourth entry in the list of items is usable. If you use any of the first three, not only do they not give you double movement, but the item cannot be removed from the slot you entered it into ("Cannot Remove Item" message). No idea what the other three Boots do, or what they're for. Certainly not for PC use.

Rather than an automated dump of all the magic items, would it be possible to write a script that targets all the non-usable or invalid items and removes them from another script (call this the Removal Script)? That is, as magic items are added to the BG2 folders through mods and add-ons, you can always dump the whole lot into the code for a shopkeep in ToB as long as you run the Removal Script on it first? Since the list of invalid items should remain fairly static, right?

Of course, this would require a manual building of the Removal Script to begin with...and as I'm no Near Infinity or WeiDU coder, I may have no idea what I'm talking about. If so, my apologies for butting in.  :P                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: