Author Topic: Item Upgrade -release 15  (Read 7212 times)

Xsi Kal

Item Upgrade -release 15
« on: July 28, 2002, 08:05:17 PM »
Hi all,

I picked up Item Upgrade release 15 for my latest run through BG2, (along with Weidu Ascension), and am running into some odd issues I did not encounter with earlier releases.  Essentially, the dialogue with Cromwell appears to be broken again... when I ask him to look through my pack, he spews out a list of a handful of items that appear to be Cespenar related, (Sorcerian ring, etc.?), complete with descriptions, etc.  (ie. the dialogue options are not 'can you do anything with XX', but instead consist of the item name and full description, regardless of whether I have any of the base ingredients or not.  Anything I click ends up just taking me back to the same list, resulting in my having to kill BG2 manually in order to quit the conversation.

Any suggestions would be helpful -- this is on a clean install of BG2 with the latest ToB patch, and the Weidu Ascension mod installed.  I did not note this issue with earlier versions of the ItemUpgrade mod.

Thanks,
Xsi Kal                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 08:11:47 PM »
It's possible that Wes didn't test Cromwell after some of the recent items were added. Anyone else seeing this?                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

reiella

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 06:53:11 PM »
ItemUp 15 works for me with Cromwell.

Selecting 1 should continue you through the search, it sounds alot like some write permissions weren't available when you installed the ItemUpgrade mod.

Sorcerian Ring (and most of the Item Upgrades) are available from Cromwell as well, however.                    

Xsi Kal

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 10:05:09 PM »
Hmm, thank you for the verification that the issues are on my end.  I uninstalled last night, and may re-install now to see if that changed anything. :)

-Xsi Kal                    

Xsi Kal

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 10:14:31 PM »
Well, that did not work. :)

For clarification, (now that I looked again), the first dialogue option presented to me, once I tell him to 'get on with it then' (which previously resulted in his performing his usual search routine) is the name 'Lilarcor +5', followed by its full description, stats, useable by details, etc, all presented as if it were a choice in a dialogue tree -- if you mouse over it, the whole text turns white like any other dialogue option.

I paid close attention to my install/uninstall text this time, and it all seemed to go swimmingly.  Are archived versions available for download as well?  The version I had previously downloaded (~1 month ago.. version 14?)  seemed to work like a charm, and it would be good to be able to re-install it and see if that were still true.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

-Xsi Kal                    

Kish

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 10:31:21 PM »
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate/W...Upgrade-v14.zip

That should work.  (It's found by right-clicking the link to download the current version, and changing the version number.)

I would suggest, if it's practical, that you uninstall all of BG2, delete your override folder, and reinstall everything.  (I do that every few Weimer-mod versions, just to make sure things stay comparatively neat.)                    

Blucher

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 11:47:26 PM »
To save yourself a lot of trouble next time, after installing BG2 and the official patches, make a backup of the entire /override/ directory, the chitin.key, bgmain.exe and the dialog.tlk files.

When things get out of hand for me, I just delete the contents of the /override/ and apply my backups.

To address your problem, many times, when strings get messed up in a weidu mod, it's because of the saved game.  Starting a brand new game usually fixes the problems with bad strings.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 12:01:41 AM »
It really wouldn't be a bad thing if Wes adopted Arian's Talk Fixer Technology, though.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

xsikal

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 09:39:25 PM »
I'll see if have an earlier savegame to try...

If not, I'll re-install BG2 again and see if that helps.  :)  (This was actually a fresh install this time too... re-installed BG2, then Ascension-Weidu, then Item Upgrade)

With any luck, one of those solutions will solve my problem.  If not, I can always pass on the Cromwell upgrades and wait until Cespenar to make use of the mod.  

Thanks again,
Xsi Kal                    

Kish

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2002, 04:48:38 AM »
I just found a Cespenar bug.

I asked about the girdle (I have a Girdle of Bluntness, so the option was there, but not the Golden Girdle or the Girdle of Piercing), and, when I clicked on "Not right now," Cespenar went on, "You has flaming sword of Angurvadal..." and continued as if he had been in the middle of his usual going-through-the-pack routine.  And I don't have Angurvadal.  (I just arrived--I haven't even resurrected Brother Dear yet.)                    

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2002, 04:43:46 PM »
It seems that Item Upgrade (15) and Kelsey don't work together for me. When I go to the dwarven smith everything goes fine until Cromwell starts checking my stuff for upgradeable items. The first option is to check the inventory and the rest are items from the Item Upgrade mod.

Now, when I select the first option, the same list comes up again with the top option slightly changed but still meaning that Cromwell will check my stuff.

When I again select the first option I have to select it three times before anything happens after which several dialogues from Kelsey are spewed forth as options. If I select one, Cromwell(!) seems to say this dialogue to which I always answer the same thing. When I select this answer I am thrown back to the list of items.

I tried to do a re-install of all (BGII, ToB, latest patches and latest Weimer's Mods I use + Kelsey). The problem is still the same (at least with old saves - haven't tried what happens if I start a new game) although the Kelsey dialogues changed into some other Kelsey dialogues (I think they are from Kelsey; some mention his name but I'm not sure of them all).

Since there's no way out of the dialogue loop I have to kill the game.

Is Item Upgrade supposed to be alright with Kelsey? Any ideas of how to fix this *hopeful*?                    

Moira

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2002, 04:58:03 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to include my name on the report I just wrote about Cromwell dialogue problem (too tired, should go to bed and not try to fix BG...). It seems that the problem is only with Cromwell, I loaded one of my ToB saved games and Cespenar seemed to work just fine with Item Upgrade. I haven't had Kelsey in ToB, I don't know if that makes any difference.

I also tried a SoA save with Kelsey not in the group (I think the game was started before installing Kelsey) but Cromwell didn't work with them either.

Darn, I love these mods. And Kelsey. I'm not sure which I'd choose if I have to  :huh:

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2002, 07:30:12 PM »
Kelsey doesn't touch Cromwell at all, so there has to be some other explanation.                    

reiella

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2002, 09:09:25 PM »
Sounds like when installing ItemUprade (or doing something with another WeiDU module which prompted WeiDU to reinstall ItemUpgrade) you had some read/write permission trouble (the triple first option to get to normal items that is).

Kelsey dialog seems (to me) to be because of Cromwell's string references pointing to Kelsey (ie, the classic Uninstall/Reinstall trouble that people keep thanking the Talk Fixers for ... fixing).

Try a fresh save, and see if the dialog still regurgitates Kelsey options.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2002, 10:23:50 PM »
Sounds like when installing ItemUprade (or doing something with another WeiDU module which prompted WeiDU to reinstall ItemUpgrade) you had some read/write permission trouble (the triple first option to get to normal items that is).

Kelsey dialog seems (to me) to be because of Cromwell's string references pointing to Kelsey (ie, the classic Uninstall/Reinstall trouble that people keep thanking the Talk Fixers for ... fixing).

Try a fresh save, and see if the dialog still regurgitates Kelsey options.
                   Talk fixers affect CRE strings (the things you get when clicking to select and confirm), not the things contained in DLG files. My guess is that dialog.tlk became write-protected at some point on his machine.                    

Moira

Item Upgrade -release 15
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2002, 03:39:02 AM »
After reading your thoughts on the matter I started wondering whether I had perhaps forgot to delete some of the mod files before re-install. I uninstalled the whole game, made sure to delete everything and do a re-install with installing the mods in right order. I also checked all log files for errors (I'm not sure if I did this to all logs previously).

Now it works  :D So, I think the problem was with write permissions (i.e. locked up dialogue.tlk or something similar) as was suggested. Thank you for the swift support. And, of course, huge thanks to the creator(s) of the mods!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: