Author Topic: Item Upgrade  (Read 7231 times)

Kish

Item Upgrade
« on: July 27, 2002, 05:56:57 PM »
It might be nice to combine a few of those ioun stones.  Right now, there's enough in BG2 to outfit an entire party of mage-thief-monks, but I never have more than two people who can't wear helmets.                    

reiella

Item Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 06:13:03 PM »
Some of them (Gold notably comes to mind) seem to be intentional non-permanent equipment.  Just equip to scribe the scrolls and then switch, but I do agree.

Unused (currently) Ioun stones are the following :
Dusty Rose (+1 AC)
Golden (+1 Int)
Lavender (+1 Ac, +4 Sv Death)
Obsidian (+1 Con)
Pale Green (+10% Hp +1 Thac0)
Pearly White (Regen 2hp/min)
Silver (+1 Wis)
Wong Fei(+1 AC, +15 hp, Regen 1hp/6sec)

Might work better to have them possibly combine with other helms, instead of just other Ioun Stones.  There's also that some more be more 'useful' than some helms (notably Wong Fei, the Pale Green, or the Pearly White ones).

Blucher

Item Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 11:49:25 PM »
Interesting here, is that in P&P, a character can wear more than one Ioun stone at a time.                    

reiella

Item Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 05:30:57 AM »
Yep, that's what actually made them useful in P&P, and they could be used with Helms too.  Downside is that they didn't protect you from critical hits and it's also quite easy for someone to just snag the ioun stone orbiting your head.                    

mesapodo

Item Upgrade
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 05:49:47 PM »
How about combining some of this ioun stones with King Strohn's III Mask.(That thing you get in Firkraag's dungeon.) Since you are stuck with it after the end of the quest and the only exceptional thing about this item is that all characters can equip it even in SoA how about upgrading it and getting something useful? Perhaps this item

Dusty rose+lavender+Pale Green+Pearly White Ioun stone+Amulet of protection+1 +money (+perhaps some scrolls)=

Warmask of King Strohn III
+2 AC
+1 to saves
+10% to hp
+1 to thac0
Regen 1 hp/round
Immune to death spells                    

skie88

Item Upgrade
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 05:36:08 PM »
some suggestions..

speaking of combining, howabout combining the melodic chain and jesters chain for higher ac , add to that some of the useless harps, afterall melodic chains desc says that its full power was lost. Will make a good bard or Mage armor..

also combine the two bhaal specific swords, the sword of chaos and adjatha the drinker, they both tie to bhaal.. howabout making it a main char specific longsword just like the moonblade, only with charm/confusion immunity and higher life leech.. B)

also about the ion stones, combine all of them and make an ion stone that protects from critical hits, and gives +1 to all stats, +1 to saves..

with the corthala armor improvement, why make the shadow dragon armor an ingredient?? why not the shadow dragon scale ?

thats it for me, Great MOd by the way, better than cheating...   :P                    

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 04:25:45 AM »
Doesn't the sword of chaos already upgrade to +4?

I'd like to know how you manage to creae such new items:
I can use NearInfinity  to modify existing items without too much trouble,
but when I use the add copy of item command to create an item, everytime I summon it in my game the game crashes:

an example is:
I created a copy of the Soulstealer dagger to design a final knife for Valen, and added several effects (level drain enhanced, backstab multiplier, cold and electricity damage, AC bonuses (I know it's cheesy)) and encountered several problems:

-first, what effects should be added to the item itself, and what effects should be added to the item ability? (for example, soul stealer's level drain is an effect within its ability, but shouldn't I rather put other effects on the item itself?)

-How can I do so the item I created is dropped by a character upon dying (or stealing?) My scheme was to put the dagger on improved bodhi so Valen gets it at chapter 6, but I ended trying to give it to cromwell, but failed. How can I put such a created item in a NPC 's inventory?  

- When I tried to put the dagger on my party characters using ShadowKeeper, the program could find the dagger but didn't let me save my game after I gave it to my character, because he said there a problem with the database or something (aven't quite figured out)
How can I implement my created items in the game so they don't make it crash?
Can anyone help?

My last question is about the items description:some items have a hand-made drawing of them put beside their description (like the claw of kasgaroth) How can I have items get such a drawing in their description screen? Is there a way I can put my own drawings in the database?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I'd like to try custom items.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Item Upgrade
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 12:07:39 PM »
Doesn't the sword of chaos already upgrade to +4?]

Yes, with Ascension.

I'd like to know how you manage to create such new items:

With skill and talent. :-) OK, moving right along ...

I can use NearInfinity  to modify existing items without too much trouble,
but when I use the add copy of item command to create an item, everytime I summon it in my game the game crashes:

Make sure you have the absolute newest version of NI. Older versions had serious corrupting problems if you fiddled with effects.

I created a copy of the Soulstealer dagger to design a final knife for Valen, and added several effects (level drain enhanced, backstab multiplier, cold and electricity damage, AC bonuses (I know it's cheesy)) and encountered several problems:

Binary search time. :-)

First, just do the exact copy. Summon that. Does it crash the game? If so, complain to the NI guys. If not, go back and add one effect. Does that crash the game? If so, look into it. If not, try the next one ...

When you say "crashed the game", you also need to be much more specific. Did merely creating the item with the console crash the game? Or is that fine, but equipping it crashes the game? Or is that fine, but attacking with the blade crashes the game? These different failure modes reveal different ITM problems.

gets it at chapter 6, but I ended trying to give it to cromwell, but failed. How can I put such a created item in a NPC 's inventory?  

Modify the CRE file or change their BCS script to create the item on creation.

Can anyone help?

Probably, but your questions aren't very clear to me.

kasgaroth) How can I have items get such a drawing in their description screen?

It's just one of the fields in the ITM header. "Description picture BAM" or something. Set it. Use NI or InfExp to get a list of valid ones.  

Is there a way I can put my own drawings in the database?

Database? You could put them in Chitin.KEY, but that's way too much effort. Just put your bam in the override folder and have your itm reference that BAM. That's how the item upgrade items get new icons. It should work for desc pics as well.                    

[!--EDIT|weimer|Aug 11 2002, 11:12 AM--]

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2002, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks Weimer.

Just Creating the dagger is enough to crash the game.

Once I had created a version of imoen's belt that crashed upon equipping.
I tend to get to get excited when modifying items and put too much effects at a time, I'll calm down and make it one at a time.
Too bad Baldur's gate takes so much time to load, I wish there was a command line to directly launch a savegame.........

I had tried to modify the .CRE files inventory, but my item didn't show, I don't know why, when it was saved in the override folder.

Thanks for the tip on the items drawing, I'll now have a flower-shaped dagger drawn by my friend.
How come Nearinfinity seems to have trouble reading BAMs? I seldom get them shown (I downloaded the latest version two weeks ago)

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2002, 02:27:07 PM »
After some testing, i found out that just adding a copy of the soulstealer, without any changes, is enough to crash the game.
Furthermore, editing items on  a .CRE file crashes Nearinfinity (error reading four .ITM files (PLOTH01 to 04) that seem to be useless or dummied)

Can you tell me what tools you used to design those items, or if you have a tutorial for creating custom ones?

And what is the difference between the dialog.tlk and dialogf.tlk files?
(I have the French version of BGII).                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Item Upgrade
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 03:17:33 PM »
If you follow these steps:

select soultaker dagger with near infinity
right-click, pick "make a copy of", call it "foo.itm"
start BGII
CLUAConsole:CreateItem("soultaker dagger code here")
CLUAConsole:CreateItem("foo")

and the last one crashes your game, there's something wrong with your install (those steps don't crash me). Delete your temp, tempsave and cache folders and try again. If problem persists, reinstall BGII.

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 05:53:54 AM »
It seems my installation is corrupted, as all changes I made on original items worked swell. I believe I'll have to reinstall everything.                    

KaPe

Item Upgrade
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 11:34:14 AM »
My 2 little suggestions: upgrade Black Razor, and/or Equalizer... BR is obvious: nice weapon but +3 is not enough... and Equalizer is supposed to be powerful artifact, while in truth it sucks badly...                    

Item Upgrade
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2002, 12:17:04 PM »
i knew that the sword of chaos  already upgrades to +4, but im looking for amoonblade type of longsword for my char, and sword of chaos  is the only one that ties with a longsword ( adjatha to be more specific.. :) )..

I agree with KaPe, the equalizer should have an upgrade because it does sucks badly... :P                    

mesapodo

Item Upgrade
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2002, 09:37:47 PM »
Upgrading the equaliser is a very good idea, it might actually make people equip it!                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Item Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2002, 07:42:14 PM »
Recommendation:

Upgrade Arbane's Sword to +4.

Reason:

If Nalia or Imoen or Jan don't end up with the SoTM, Arbane is great, free action means they'll save the day more often than you'd think, but +2 doesn't cut it no more. I actually DID keep it in Nalia's hand when she wasn't using a bow through much of TOB, but...

Suggested upgrade:

Scroll(s) of Enchanted weapon, some gold... maybe one of the throwaway +3 blades TOB gives summoned characters?

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

mesapodo

Item Upgrade
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2002, 10:14:06 PM »
Since Arbane is supposed to be a sword of speed (or something) I say combine it with Kundane+2 and Belm+2 (2 more swords of speed) and get a sword combining their abilities. If you don't want to part with belm how about replacing it with the scarlet ninja-to+3 so that it actually becomes useful to a party without a monk.                    

Sim

Item Upgrade
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 10:38:40 AM »
My biggest recommendation would be to make the items count as magical, so they can't all be used at the same time; I know it's tedious adding all the items into the 2DA, but as it is, the game can become very unbalanced with some of the upgrades.                    

thunderDrake

Item Upgrade
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2002, 12:25:34 PM »
I have BG2 SoA + TDD (version 103) + Soloufein (?) Romance Full + Kelsey installed. I tried to install Item Upgrade too but the installer tries to install Soloufein and Kelsey. What do I do?

Thanks
thunderDrake                    

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2002, 11:46:25 AM »
That may be because your executable is named WeiDu.exe and is not item-upgrade specific.
You should try to unzip the executable from the zip file again and try to install it again.

Upgrading the equalizer is a good idea: I think you should make it so it consumes one good weapon and one "evil" weapon so the balance is preserved, and gain all the abilities of those weapons.

(like consuming adjhata and azuredge, or such holy weapon (can't find the list of Valen-can't-touch items.)

Hey Weimer, could you please offer a tutorial on how you created those items and implemented them in the cromwell and cespenar lines?
I'd like to try on making new items.                    

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2002, 10:26:34 AM »
Here are some items I tough of:

Kuldahar's demise:
made from Kuldahar's spear,
a counterstaff (STAFF05)
and a counterwand (WAND18) (not so sure about the items name as I take the french names and roughly translates them.)
and a Scroll of Blindness.
20k gold.

description:
(old kuldahar's spear description) plus:
Then the wraithes Kuldahar fell to corrupted his soul and heart and made him one of them. Kuldahar left his spear as he has absorbed its powers in his evil essence Kuldahar the ghost then rummaged the land, blinding his victims with the dark lore he had been infused with and then devouring their souls. Torm couldn't stand to see his once faithful retainer turned int one of the undead and ordered a group of paladins to hunt and put at rest Kuldahar. When the paladins got to the wraith, Kuldahar blinded their eyes and their hearts with his powers and managed to have the holy knights kill each others; However, as he was feasting with the souls of the warriors, the young squiress of the paladins stood before him and attacked with the very spear Kuldahar was wielding when living. Kuldahar blinded the young lass but Torm protected her trough the powers of the spear, and she managed to land the final blow on the fallen  paladin: Torm then sealed the soul of the paladin inside his former spear.
When [CHARNAME] had it reforged, the powers of the counter wand released Kuldahar's soul who nows entices the spear with his evil powers:  the wielder of the spear is immediately blinded, but the spear itself has as a third eye, allowing the person to fight normally. In addition, the powers of Kuldahar can blind the ennemy when the spear hits them, and protects the senses other than the sight.

effects:
blinds the wearer when carried.
every hit has a chance to blind, silence and deafen an ennemy (50% chance, save versus death at -6 to prevent it)
immunity to deafness, silence and immobility.
CA +2 (if blindness also reduces the CA by 4 like the spell, then the CA bonus is of 6)
+2 to Saving throws against death.

spear +5,
1d10 +5
thaco +15 (+5 bonus and to correct the effect of blindness)
sets spear proficiencies to 5.
speed factor 3

Has Kuldahar's spear ability to cast blind on five meters, can counter like the counterwand 8 times a day (items doesn't disappears when drained, and reloads upon resting)

I also tought that since the Mace of the servant is almost a Viconia-only weapon, then it could be upgraded and be truly Viconia-only:

Mace of the Renegade:
Made of: the Mace of the Handmaiden
the Spider's Bane  (give it to one Tarnor's thug in the temple district
sewers since the quest to get that weapon is unavailable in the game)
Ardulia's fall
Girdle of cloud giants  (the one that sets the strengh to 20)
scroll of spider spawn
Black spider statue (dropped by Pa'ina)
15 000 golds

description:
After Viconia stood against LLoth and defeated the minions she sent to get her, she had the Mace of the handmaiden reforged into a powerful weapon designed specifically for her and to fight against the minions of the spider queen:

abilities:

Mace+4
thaco+8
damage: 1d8+4 blunt damage, +2 damages of poison and two damages of acid for 10 rounds
target is slowed for three rounds if it misses a save versus spells at -4
immunity to poison, free action, sets strengh to 20

can cast spider spawn three times a day,
can summon two revenge spiders (is that possible?) once a day.
+3 to thaco and damages against spiders and elves

Big Metal Unit MK-II:
description:
By putting the content of a regenerative potion in the coolant system and feeding the magic engine of the armor with a time stop scroll, Cespenar got some nice effects of the Big Metal Unit; Additionaly, he used some illithium to give it chromic effects that look very stylish, and seem to deflect the blows of most common weapons.

effects: all old BMU effects
+ immunity to time stop
+ regenerate 1HP a second
+immunity to backstab
+immunity to non magical and +1 weapons.
50% missile resistance
components:
Bmu
time stop scroll
regenerative potion
Illithium ore (you'd have to keep the illithium  during the biggest part of the game.........)                    

Kish

Item Upgrade
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2002, 10:39:58 AM »
I like the Mace of the Renegade idea, and (much to my own surprise) also the BMU upgrade idea.  Immunity to Time Stop is fun.                    

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2002, 01:13:54 PM »
I remember that time when I casted the spell and Demogorgon continued moving, wasting my sorcerer while other team members couldn't do a thing, I tought: I need that ability!                    

Eddie

Item Upgrade
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2002, 04:31:25 PM »
@klaussner

I beg your pardon, but isn't "Kuldahar" the name of a great tree in Icewind Dale and the town surrounding it?

klaussner

Item Upgrade
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2002, 01:31:59 AM »
uh?
Isn't Kuldahar the blind paladin?
I don't have a item list with description included, so if I was wrong please replace the name of the spear with the correct one.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: