Author Topic: Small Dark Age  (Read 4649 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Small Dark Age
« on: July 24, 2002, 12:59:47 PM »
To coin a phrase from Jason Compton, there will be a very minor Dark Age for the world of WeiDU as I depart for a hiking vacation in West Virginia tomorrow. I'll be gone for a week. Presumably all of the regulars will hold down the fort in the interim.

If there's something you really want to see before then, let me know soon. I'll probably put up a no-hide-option valen update before leaving.                    

Aubrey

Small Dark Age
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 01:25:33 PM »
We can do and without you.  :P

Go and have fun!

Cheers                    

Lump

Small Dark Age
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 01:37:10 PM »
Lot of fun - I wish you!

Gospel

Small Dark Age
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 01:43:17 PM »
Have fun, sir :D

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Small Dark Age
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 12:41:25 AM »
We can do and without you.  :P
Oh, I know it well. Anyway, I had a ball in West Virginia (Kiki, did you ever see "Whispers of the Heart" by Miyazaki?). Now I'm back to joust with Valen and the Ritual and ... oh, that thesis thing. :-)

Aubrey

Small Dark Age
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 09:32:06 AM »
Oh, I know it well.

Do you?                    

Kiki

Small Dark Age
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 01:28:35 PM »
Anyway, I had a ball in West Virginia (Kiki, did you ever see "Whispers of the Heart" by Miyazaki?)

Glad you had a good vacation.  No, I haven't seen it. Did you watch an English-subtitled version? (And did you actually find it in WV?)

My friend who introduced me to Kiki's Delivery Service had it translated and subtitled by a friend at Berkeley. Is that still kicking around?                    

Gospel

Small Dark Age
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 01:33:18 PM »
Welcome backies, sir :D

*swims around, like a fishy*

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Small Dark Age
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 03:05:40 PM »
Anyway, I had a ball in West Virginia (Kiki, did you ever see "Whispers of the Heart" by Miyazaki?)

Glad you had a good vacation.  No, I haven't seen it. Did you watch an English-subtitled version? (And did you actually find it in WV?)

My friend who introduced me to Kiki's Delivery Service had it translated and subtitled by a friend at Berkeley. Is that still kicking around?
Yes, I have an English sub of it. I noticed that your little avatar picture is of Kiki, so I figured I would mention it since Miyazaki is a small god. I also highly recommend Mononoke Hime, Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa and Lupin 3: Castle Cagliostro. Skip Umi Ga Kikoeru and Omoide Poro Poro unless you're watching a marathon. Tonari no Totoro never impressed me as much as it seemed to impress others.

I'm not sure if the exact fansubbing service you're talking about is still alive. Fansubbing is still alive, but there has been a recent move toward doing it all digitally -- rather than sending you VHS tapes, you just download a 200 MB divx file that includes the subtitles. Unfortunately, the quality is lower than 2nd or 3rd gen VHS. :-(

I don't think there's much anime to be found in WVA. The closest thing would be NRAO Green Bank. :-)                    

Catalyst

Small Dark Age
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 04:08:06 PM »
Wes, I didn't know you were out of Berkeley...in June I went to Japan for three weeks with a trio of Berkeley students, an International Business Exchange thingy. Whispers of the Heart is in my top 3 Ghibli flims. May I add that the thought of Valen and Whispers of the Heart being mentioned in the same thought train is eery?

Kiki, since this thread is derailing quickly (but Wes started it!) I'll agree with his suggestions about Ghibli films. I stopped doing the fansub thing once everything went digital, too...but was able to grab Maison Ikkoku in its entirety first. :)

Has anyone seen Grave of the Fireflies? I've had the DVD for a couple years but everyone tells me I'm guaranteed to cry if I watch it...haven't been in a mood for that in a long time...

Gospel, your avatar is disturbingly cute.  :)                    

Kiki

Small Dark Age
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2002, 04:16:04 PM »
I didn't like Totoro that much, either (except for the catbus, of course). Haven't seen anything else by Miyazaki, although one of these days I'll get around to it ...

Hm, I don't think it was a fansubbing service. I think my friend belonged to an anime club at Berkeley, and one of his friends in the club translated it for him. That was back in the days before DVDs (ugh, how badly am I dating myself?).

I didn't think WV was exactly an anime hot spot, but from the way you phrased your question, I thought you had seen it on vacation.  :)  So I take it you liked Whispers of the Heart? My friend didn't care much for it. And we both like "quiet" movies like Remains of the Day, so I didn't bother to hunt  up Whispers.                    

Gospel

Small Dark Age
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2002, 05:00:58 PM »
*chases his tail!* Thankies, Catalyst sir(?) :D It's one of the pre-installed avatars *purrs* ^_^

Did missus Kiki have a cat, in the movie? :D I think I saw part of it in blockbuster :)

Kiki

Small Dark Age
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2002, 12:20:28 AM »
Kiki had a hilarious little cat named Jiji. If you watch it, try to pick up the Japanese-language version. I bought the Disney video for my five-year-old niece in what I like to think was a subtle attempt to counteract the Barbie crap that she otherwise gets fed, but they picked Phil Hartman to dub Jiji in English, and it's pretty awful.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: