Author Topic: Improved Irenicus  (Read 14753 times)

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2002, 12:06:28 PM »
I have Prot from Undead scrolls. But there is no one undead. So that do not work. :(
All other fights until now are a pushover. Even the Bodhi and Undead Solafein. No real troubles. But that....
When I am done with ToB and my Sorc I play with a complete party. Perhaps then I am able to kill Imp Irenicus.                    

Kish

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2002, 12:11:02 PM »
I have Prot from Undead scrolls. But there is no one undead.
That explains why Protection from Undead scrolls don't help you, but that's not what Reiella suggested.  Try drinking a Potion of Insight, using a Limited Wish and wishing to be protected from undead, which will protect you from level drain.                    

[!--EDIT|Kish|Sep 1 2002, 07:11 PM--]

reiella

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2002, 12:11:29 PM »
[ Heh Kish got what I meant, so removing this so less pointless ]                    

[!--EDIT|reiella|Sep 1 2002, 01:12 PM--]

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2002, 12:19:56 PM »
I have no chance to counteract the level drain and strenght drain ability.
                   To counter level drain, equip the Amulet of Power.
You should have it equiped anyway, due to the -1 spellcasting time it grants.

To counter the Strength Drain, use Protection from Magical Weapons when the Wraith comes near you. His attacks are magical - if it can't hit you, it can't drain you.  :)                    

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2002, 12:20:04 PM »
Ohh, I never used that option. Only the quest and those ID glasses. :D
Hmmm...okay thats for leveldrain.
Okay, I'll do it. Perhaps I have some other usefull scrolls that give me more seconds to live. I dont have lim wish as a spell only as a scroll. :D  ;)                    

Sein_Schatten

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2002, 12:24:33 PM »
I have no chance to counteract the level drain and strenght drain ability.
To counter level drain, equip the Amulet of Power.
You should have it equiped anyway, due to the -1 spellcasting time it grants.

To counter the Strength Drain, use Protection from Magical Weapons when the Wraith comes near you. His attacks are magical - if it can't hit you, it can't drain you.  :)
                   Yes, but he steals it from me. Hmmm.... if I put it on the ground then he cannot steal it. :D  :lol:
Doesnt the dragon strenght drain you? With his breath? :blink: And Sarevok level drains you? Wrath is Sarevok, isnt he?                    

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2002, 12:32:34 PM »
Yes, but he steals it from me. Hmmm.... if I put it on the ground then he cannot steal it. :D  :lol:
Doesnt the dragon strenght drain you? With his breath? :blink: And Sarevok level drains you? Wrath is Sarevok, isnt he?
                   LOL! Brilliant!  :D

Now, lets sort things out.
The Dragon's Breath attack drains level.
The Wrath's (Seravok's) attacks drain Strength. The Wrath is also immune to magic, so use Planetars to kill him.                    

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2002, 03:22:37 PM »
After some other time of testing I gave up. Its too difficult for me. I was able to kill three bastards only with the spell projected image but the wrath is to heavy. He attacks always me the real pc, no summons.
In theory: Because he attacks only me, I cannot use the image. Projected Image lasts longer then Protection from mag weapons. The result is I have to stand and casts prot from mag weapons on me, casts planetar. The planetar attacks the wrath and the wrath attacks me. :blink:
Same for the second fight.
No, no, to heavy for a solo sorc. :(  :huh:
P.S.: the item drop on the ground works very well. Cheesy but ;)                    

Althernai

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2002, 06:44:15 PM »
After some other time of testing I gave up. Its too difficult for me. I was able to kill three bastards only with the spell projected image but the wrath is to heavy. He attacks always me the real pc, no summons.
In theory: Because he attacks only me, I cannot use the image. Projected Image lasts longer then Protection from mag weapons. The result is I have to stand and casts prot from mag weapons on me, casts planetar. The planetar attacks the wrath and the wrath attacks me. :blink:
Same for the second fight.
No, no, to heavy for a solo sorc. :(  :huh:
P.S.: the item drop on the ground works very well. Cheesy but ;)
                   Funny - I didn't think Wrath would be so hard. Have you tried this? (Cheesy, yes, but that is what you get for playing solo):

Prot. from Magic Weapons-] Project Image-] Improved Alacrity-]
5x Summon Planetar-]Improved Haste on each planetar-] Have the planetars kill the Image allowing you to move. Then have them attack Wrath. 30 attacks per round at THAC0 -7 averaging 20+ damage per attack - how long can he last?                    

Sein_Schatten

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2002, 07:15:39 PM »
You can only have one planetar.
The sword is not a real problem. With some skulltraps in its summon position and it is history.
The problem is you have to be protected all the time against the wrath and you have to kill the other 3 guy. :( But a good idea with the kamikaze attack with the image.
I'll try it again after some sleep. :D
Try it yourself with a sorc. ;)                    

Althernai

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2002, 10:39:13 AM »
You can only have one planetar.
                   Exactly. YOU can only have one planetar - your Projected Image can summon as many as it has. This is part of what I meant by Abuse-of-Illusions. Try it and see what happens.                    

Sein_Schatten

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2002, 04:19:11 PM »
:blink:  :blink: What?? Really? Sounds like a bug.  :o 4 planetars help alot. Wow.                    

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2002, 09:40:41 AM »
:blink:  :blink: What?? Really? Sounds like a bug.  :o 4 planetars help alot. Wow.
                   Welcome to the amazing realm of the Project Image's cheese...  :D

User?                    

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2002, 11:15:42 AM »
I dont have used it yet.
I play now from the beginning with a complete party and me as a Beholder with Gauth attacks. Very funny. :D
Irenicus is to tough to kill him alone with no cheese and cheats. :( But this 4 planetar bug is calling me to test it against Jon. :lol:                    

GVGS58

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2002, 03:25:18 PM »
All right, my tactics for Improved Irenicus (keep in mind it was a while ago, so it may not quite be my actual tactic, but it should work)

Party consisted of:
me (fighter/thief, dual-wielding Sachuu and CF+5)
custom made char(fighter/druid, dual-wielding Water's Talon and Belm (this combination rocks: with Imp. Haste, you can have 10 attacks/round and with every attack you're poisoning :D )
Solafein (dual-wielding (yes again, I like it) Daystar+4 and Equalizer
Imoen
and Tashia (with Robe of Vecna)
All characters have about 4m-5m XP, pretty high level, I admit.

Also I had a lot of healing potions AND (this turned out to be crucial) invisibility potions, as well as Improved Items installed and making use of it (four rings of preservation+2, nice)

Before the battle I did a standard buff-up (stoneskin/ironskin, mirror image, imp. haste/haste, blur, fireshields) and summoned some mordies and a planetar, which I had standing between the Orb and the Dragon spawning places. Then I opened the door and Jon would appear, giving his speech and all that, nd wouls leave me with a couple of shadows. The mordies take care of that, while Imoen and Tashia would cast Time-Stop.
Tashia would finish first (Robe of Vecna) and with IA, she hits the Dragon with Lower Resistance two times and NUKES him (ADHW, Comet, Dragon's Breath, Skull Traps). Also try to send a couple to Selfish, and if you can, to Greed (in the case of Greed, Magic Missile does wonders). Time Stop ends. Solafein, wearing the Cloak of Balduran, has more than 100% MR and targets the Orb of Fear with the planetar.
Time Stop of Imoen starts. She targets Greed as well as Selfish with about everything she gots. Time Stop ends, Greed near Death and Selfish badly injured. Imoen and Tashia finish Greed off and start working on Selfish, who doesn't last long (he is targeting Sola also).
Meanwhile, the mordies have whiped the shadows and have started on Wrath. Fighter/thief has his swords back, he and fighter/druid target Wrath also. Main char uses Assasination, which is really helpful: he doesn't hit always, but when he does he does tremendous damage. Druid poisons Wrath a bit with her scimitars. Wrath is in the meantime slaughtering the mordies, but it takes some time I use. Sola is ready with Orb, has Critical Strike, so helps against Wrath, who finally falls. Now you have a couple of spare time. I used these to Improved Haste my main character.

Now phase 2. Slayer appears, and I am teleported away from my equipment. No loss, as since I'm still hasted, I can easily pick it up and put my boots of speed on. Now I'm faster than the Slayer! For some reason, the shadows which have appeared start attacking my party members, who can't do anything. So I first waste the shadows, than attack the Slayer, which is actually quite easy (I suppose Sachuu helps...). Be sure to have some healing potions, but basically I was able to defeat him in pure melee.

Phase 3. Tricky. Some may consider this cheese, but when the conservation ends I gave everybody invisibility potions, which they drank. Now here comes the nice part: unlike the slayer, Final Jon can't see through invisibility and has no way of dispelling it. YES! Now seperate your main character from the rest of your party. Jon will follow you, but not attack you. This is a good time to slay the rest of the shadows with another party member, just keep out of sight of Jon (if he's in the way, move your PC: Jon will follow). Have him/her return to invisibility. Now WAIT until Jon's protections are somewhat gone, most importantly his invisibility.
Now it's the time for action. I had my PC, my fighte'/druid and Sola attack him (Sola went in first so that Jon targets him with Sola's 100% MR). Imoen and Tashia would try to dispel his spell protections and then his combat protections. Whenever Jon would cast Protection from Magical weapons and I was not able to dispel it (too many other protections) or when badly wounded I would drink inivisibility potions and wait. Finally, I had the Smite from Sola left, so I used that when he used Improved Mantle. He would lay still so I could do some damage, but what finally got him was the Backslash from Sachuu and the poisoning from Water's Talon.

Hope you can make something out of it.

P.S. what really sucked was that after the first success, I did not have the ToB CD at hand so I had to do it again! It was a bit easier then, though.                    

Userunfriendly

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2002, 11:46:30 PM »
project image cheese is actually the lowest form of cheese, for me...i never use it unless i cant help it at all...with improved irenicus i had imoen setup spike traps at the dragon and sword, and directed my one planetar to attack the wraith while i go after teh orb, then come back, kill wraith, as quick as possible, using sol, so i am fresh and not str drained...

party protected by regen, and standard buffs,,,,the regen is the winner, i took some area effect, and regen allowed me to keep them alive while i was moving out of cloud....

regen and telly field....

ps i only had 3 planetars up, not too many at all eh?                    

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2002, 09:39:15 AM »
If anyone is intersted in learning more about PI cheese, check out this post by Wes:
[SoA and/or ToB] Project Image & Solo Sorcerer Picks :)                    

Althernai

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2002, 12:43:39 PM »
project image cheese is actually the lowest form of cheese, for me...i never use it unless i cant help it at all...with improved irenicus i had imoen setup spike traps at the dragon and sword, and directed my one planetar to attack the wraith while i go after teh orb, then come back, kill wraith, as quick as possible, using sol, so i am fresh and not str drained...

party protected by regen, and standard buffs,,,,the regen is the winner, i took some area effect, and regen allowed me to keep them alive while i was moving out of cloud....

regen and telly field....

ps i only had 3 planetars up, not too many at all eh?
                   I disagree - PI cheese is just regular cheese with elements of bug exploitation and design flaws (same as SoTM, the Cloak of Mirroring, . The lowest form of cheese is the pre-knowledge cheese - after one reload, you know what your enemies will do. Even the most powerful enemies (think Ascension, Eclipse) fall to this - you knwo what they are going to do and plan accordingly.

BTW, you don't like PI, yet you used its most abusive trick when not playing solo? :huh:                    

Userunfriendly

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2002, 03:17:49 PM »
to clarify, i like all forms of cheese, i just think pi cheese is TOO easy, i like using cheese i developed and tested rather than use oldies but goodies...

for example, alson and others have said they like my latest cheese...

after balderdash and sola mod, you can no  longer stack hardiness to get 100% resistance to crushing, slashing...etc...

you can stack armor of faith and hardiness to get around 60...no more...

but the wish spell hardiness does stack, so alson said it turned eclipse much easier...

i could have used it in my run thru, but i wasnt that patient, so i went in with several planetars and regen spell...

my extreme enjoyment of wes's stuff is finding out new ways to cheese, since he keeps nerfing cheesy tactics in his mods...

for example, you can no longer use project image to set over 7 traps in a area map....                    

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2002, 05:31:29 PM »
to clarify, i like all forms of cheese, i just think pi cheese is TOO easy, i like using cheese i developed and tested rather than use oldies but goodies...

AHA! So there IS a limit to your cheesing!
User... Are you actually.... Roleplaying!? (*shivers)  :P  :D

for example, alson and others have said they like my latest cheese...

after balderdash and sola mod, you can no  longer stack hardiness to get 100% resistance to crushing, slashing...etc...

you can stack armor of faith and hardiness to get around 60...no more...

but the wish spell hardiness does stack, so alson said it turned eclipse much easier...

It is indeed, a great cheese, but allow me to correct you - i'm using it against the Final Ascension, not Eclipse.
My win over the Eclipse was cheese-free!  :angry:
Well, except for chains... :D                    

Userunfriendly

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2002, 10:15:19 PM »
fortunately, ascention gives you several break points you can prebuff and setup cheese...like summon many many planetars...

giggle.... :D

i do roleplay, just a power mad sorceror, who came up with insane unholy experiments to add capability no one else, not even demon princes can match....

all perfectly logical.... :)                    

Homunculus

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2002, 08:12:29 AM »
One hand clapping goes "cl-".                    

raven

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2002, 01:21:04 PM »
I thought Slayer can damage the Mantled and Protect-from-Magic-Weaponed form 3 of Irenicus... is it a bug or is it intended?                    

Kish

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2002, 02:43:41 PM »
The Slayer's claws should go through an Improved Mantle, but not through Protection from Magical Weapons.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: