Author Topic: Improved Irenicus  (Read 14758 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Irenicus
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2002, 10:53:23 AM »
One thing... Final (3rd) Irenicus is way too easy, if you use Wizard Slayer... 2-3 hits, and he's completely hopeless... I don't remember if he casts CCW, but his offensive spells just don't work... You probably should do something about that... Also Wrath is easy to kill with CH, or smite...
                   If you've played a wizard slayer for this long, perhaps you deserve to be able to slay the wizard?

By now you're probably level 18 or something -- this is enough to make you a hero of the realms who has dedicated its life to killing mages. It's not unreasonable that you should get to use your kit's only offensive ability here.
Nothing stops Blades from using Offensive Spin or Inquisitors from using Dispel Magic.  

In addition, I disagree with the design decision to make some bosses (Mel, for example) immune to "spell casting failure". Having all of the big bosses immune to disruption makes the wizard slayer kit more or less worthless ... and takes away the biggest punch from Druids.

Finally, you had to hit him two or three times to get his spell failure up above 50%. You could just as well have hit him with Jhor the Bleeder or something else that does damage over time, which would have disrupted his spells equally well (albiet for a shorter period).

Finally, most people do not seem to find the Wrath all that easy to kill (althrough I agree with Critical Hit). I would point out that the Final SoA Battle cannot be designed assuming that you have ToB. That is, I have to make it do-able for people who will not have HLAs.

The Improved Irenicus fight was intentionally designed to be easier than the Eclipse fight. :-)

Thank you for your comments.                    

KaPe

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2002, 05:14:36 AM »
Well... I agree that I finally deserve to kill *the* wizard, but it's kind of boring... He just teleport around, and "spell casting failure" shows all the time... Maybe he could summon something? Just in this special case, though?
Also i'm not certain about winning this fight with SoA only abilities... - the first thing readme mentions is time-stop (well, ok could be scroll) but then - it's planetar, 9lv contigency(don't know it's english name thought), several ADHW ( SoA sorcerer has 3 on XP cap if i remember correctly)                    

Kish

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2002, 12:55:12 PM »
That raises an interesting question.  Can anyone report having defeated Improved Irenicus without ToB installed?

(This may be kind of unlikely because, if people are interested in expanding SoA, they're likely to go to the official expansion first and then mods.)                    

Userunfriendly

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2002, 11:29:34 PM »
cheesy way...no surprise, coming from me, eh????

wes likes to tailor his creations for anti cheesy tactics...kusian and now imp irenicus looks to use his fav tactic, stacked long duration spell immunites....and prot from magic weps...the only way to punch thru  that, kiddies, is to use rings of ram...cast inc acuity, fire two shots from two rings of ram, and while on auto pause, stick rings into gem bag, remove, keep firing....under increased acuity, a wand counts as a spell, so you can shoot it, recharging the rings using gem bag, abotu 5 times a round...will kill latter irenicus in 2-3 rounds...

giggle...

now aubrey used traps, and one person in an old post mentioned using a high level thief to set spike traps, and being limited to 7...

wrong!!! cast project image,and you can set as many spike traps as you want, i recommend not going above 20, might crash game....so set up clumps of 5, and as monsters reach each clump, they die...

now i beat ascention final by using very evil cheese, i had bun bun cast project image, time stop, inc acutiy and summon 7 planetars, tehn cast dispell to dump image, and repeated until i controlled 20 planetars, and they soaked up the bhaal spwn and all i had to do was sit back, and hit them with remove magic...

eclipse is the only wes mod i could not win, with bun bun...i think the only way is to use chain contingencey to summon with jahiera and aerie 6 devas set on seeing enemy....(use potion swap with scroll for jahiera)

i also recommend using storm of vengence to disrupt spell casting, much better than creeping doom, or a good adjunt to it, its faster, so you have disabled mages right away, then your much slower creeping doom hits them....

:D  B)  :P                    

Aubrey

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2002, 03:39:52 AM »
now aubrey used traps, and one person in an old post mentioned using a high level thief to set spike traps, and being limited to 7...

User,

I have never ever used traps. The only thing I have done is to have a Planetar with Globe of Blades summoned right where the Shadows appear (because I had thought it be the point where Irenicus would stand).
The first time I had seen Planetar to cut into little pieces something, but I didn't know what this something was...                    

reiella

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2002, 01:13:12 AM »
Just had another go at II.  Went better this time (no Spell50 bug to crash on me).

Abused my goodie party's Sorcererous Duo of Cheese, and actually had a Paladin to make good use out of Carsomyr in the final battle.

One thing that was odd however is that the Shattered One decided ot keep my Cloak of Cheese in the after-life.  Killed in the order of Sword of Grief (ironically only because it was teh closest when the Chain Contigency of triple Abi-Dahlzim went off), Dragon of Pride (Intentional Time Stop/Imp Acuity smack), Orb of Fear (Planetar killed it without a second thought), Wraith of Wrath (Solaufein, Protagonist (Assassin 24/Fighter 10), Keldorn, and Anomen paying into him...  Critical Strike special ability works real nicely for breaching his high ac), then the Shattered One.

Got everything back (hmm I err think).

Amulet of Power, check. Crom Feyr, check, Sanchu, check,
Didn't have Shield of Balduran.  So yep, just ended up eatting my cloak.

IITookCloak in AR2900 isn't defined (IITookCrom is, and is set to 0 as appropiate).

Hmm, and it's set properly in the dialog branch...  Okie, that's nice and odd.
Not sure how or why that happened. :x.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Irenicus
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2002, 11:55:24 AM »
Very mysterious! I looked over all the code and it looks fine. You're the only one to have reported this problem. I'd just cheat it back in (or set the local variable while inside ar2900).

Congrats on beating Imp Irenicus.                    

reiella

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2002, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks :).  Starting to see how nice Sorcerer's are for massive damage (course this was also with Spell50 so that might be more so it :P).

Only 'odd' thing at the time Shattered One died was that Protagonist was Held/paralyzed or stunned (have inv space all that).

No clue though.  Checking the areas (Graveyard, Suldanessar, Hell) again with NearInfinity and I can't find it dropped anywhere.  

[ Edit/Add: I think might have just been an oddity ]

What does Shattered Magic actually do anyway?  Dispel Effects + Hakeshar magic eat?                    

[!--EDIT|reiella|Aug 15 2002, 05:41 PM--]

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Irenicus
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2002, 08:44:57 PM »
If I recall correctly, it's Dispel Magic + Spell Failure. I think it even gives the "spell failure" or "miscast magic" icon while it lasts.                    

Santherus

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2002, 07:03:40 AM »
For the very final battle (the other 2 were fairly simple with a balanced party with some HLA), how _exactly_ are you supposed to defeat Irenicus? after about 45 minutes of running around, Valen killed him with a single backstab, but I'm not quite sure how it happened.

Is there a pattern to his teleports? ... how can he be closed down in a methodical manner? I'd appreciate a repeatable strategy rather than the mad dashing I seemed to do!                    

JAG

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2002, 07:53:12 AM »
Santherus,
   There are three key important things to do...

1. Get your speed up as high as possible (Oil of Speed, Improved Haste, Greater Evasion, Boots of Speed)

2. When he's using Prot. from Magic Weapons, use a non-magical weapon.  When using Improved Mantle, use a +4 or better weapon.

3. When you're attacking him and he teleports away, just let your characters find him, don't try to retarget them.  If they were attacking him, they'll run to where he teleported and hopefully whack him before he gets too many healing spells away.

Hope that helps,

Jamie                    

Santherus

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2002, 03:43:17 AM »
Ahh. Perhaps I'll try again once I've beaten ascension!                    

Aubrey

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2002, 03:28:25 PM »
I DID IT!! I FINALLY DID IT!!

Please, don't ask me how, it had been a traumatic experience, but in my second try today I managed to beat Mr. Weimer's Irenicus. I feel sooo relieved!

My opinion? It is a wonderful fight --as soon as one gets over with the frustration of reloading one game after another-- and I've found extremely difficult the first part of the fight.  First of all, I killed the dragon, then the sword; then it was Wraith's turn and Orb of Fear came fourth. Selfish Irenicus had been the last one.

The second one was just pure luck from my side, for I managed to reach my belongings just a few seconds before Irenicus-Slayer kills me.

The third part was quite easy: I had had Al on, and just let my party running after him.

Now that I have won the battle, I'll say that it was wonderful. And just because my frustration had been so great, equally great, if not greater, has been my satisfaction.

Mr. Weimer, I had been hating you a lot, but I think I like you better now...  :D

My party:

PC: Kensai/ Mage
Solaufein
Kelsey
Keldorn
Anomen
Imoen

I worked a lot with Magic Missiles; Planetars & Devas; Projected Images; Chain Lightnings; Dragon Breaths; Kelsey's lot of Time Stops & Meteors; Anomen's Holy Smitings & Wands of Heaven, and generally with high level spells.

That's it.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Improved Irenicus
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2002, 03:33:37 PM »
Congratulations! I'm quite impressed. I'm also glad to hear that I'm out of the doghouse now.                    

Aubrey

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2002, 03:47:01 PM »
Congratulations! I'm quite impressed.

Oh, please. Don't be impressed by me. I'm not in the least as good as Littiz and Alson are -- and many many others I suppose. It was the result of many a trial and error.

I'm also glad to hear that I'm out of the doghouse now.

:lol: I was just kidding actually; but sometimes too much frustration can cost you a couple of friends, you know...

It doesn't feel right to put a friend's life at risk.                    

reiella

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2002, 04:14:00 PM »
Hmm found an odd bug with II today.

If the Dragon of Pride dies before the cutscene ends (after Jon introduces the putz-squad to you), the cutscene has the potential to not procede.  This can occur notably with traps (the dragon is the easiest to actually hit with traps because his footprint is so large compared to the shadows).                    

alson

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2002, 04:28:53 PM »
I DID IT!! I FINALLY DID IT!!
Well done, Aubrey!

You're absolutely right, winning this fight truly gives a great feeling of self satisfaction...
It only shows how well made this battle is.

Aubrey

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2002, 05:00:30 PM »
You're absolutely right, winning this fight truly gives a great feeling of self satisfaction...
It only shows how well made this battle is.

Yes, it is, isn't it?  :)

However, the first part of the battle seemed to taking me aaages to complete it. And when Irenicus-Slayer was close to kill my pc I thought, "That's it! If I die now, after all this hard work, I will never try this bloody battle again." But, as I said, I was lucky.

Now I'm thinking to try it again -- after I finish ToB.
What is it called? Ah, yes: masochism!                    

Littiz

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2002, 10:55:56 AM »
Nice work @Aubrey!
Now, tell me, what do you think about Wes' statement in the readme:

Improved Irenicus
      Makes the Irenicus battle in Hell (the absolute end of SoA) a little
      longer and more difficult. Not that much, though.

:blink::P

You know, now new challenges await you....                    

Aubrey

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2002, 04:45:12 PM »
Now, tell me, what do you think about Wes' statement in the readme:

Improved Irenicus
Makes the Irenicus battle in Hell (the absolute end of SoA) a little
longer and more difficult. Not that much, though.

Ha! Ha! Ha! A little longer? He was joking, right?  

It must took me more than half an hour! Especially at the end, when we had to chase Irenicus in circles... :rolleyes:                    

Sein_Schatten

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2002, 06:40:05 PM »
Please, is someone there who was able to defeat Imp Jon with a Level 30+ Sorc? The fight seems impossible even on easy diff. I was only able to defeat 2 of the 5 enemies. Is it possible to beat the last SoA challenge with a solo Sorc?
How can I uninstall only the Imp Jon? No, the uninstall option dont work it seems. The first time there was a message like wrong version. So I have unzipped all files, reinstalled the Imp Jon, then uninstalled it but no changes.                    

Althernai

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2002, 11:02:56 PM »
I don't see why not - the Read Me says you may need a balanced party, but a 30+ Sorc will do. The key is that you need both physical attackers and magic to win - so summon some Planetars and use Prot from Magic Weapons. If you are having trouble, you could always resort to some cheese (Wish-till-rest, Abuse of Illusions, etc.).

I don't know about the uninstall - it should work, all of the others do.                    

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2002, 11:25:26 AM »
I have played nearly 3h but I cannot beat the first fight. I have Prot from the elements, from Magic energy, Globe of Invuln, Stoneskin, Prot from Mag weapons, Spell shield, spell Trap, blur, Mirror image, res fear, all protection I have in my arsenal I have cast on me. I have no chance to counteract the level drain and strenght drain ability.
So I have to cheat and kill all these beasts but I dont feel good with that. I have to beat it legaly but I dont know how. With a complete party I think it is possible. :(                    

Sein_Schatten

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2002, 11:27:15 AM »
:rolleyes: Thats me. Forgot to write my name. :blink:                    

reiella

Improved Irenicus
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2002, 11:59:17 AM »
Suggestion: Limited Wish : I wish to be protected from Undead.

That should let ya deal with the level drain trouble.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: