Author Topic: Linux Problems  (Read 1432 times)

Offline MagusWizardo

• Planewalker
Linux Problems
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:29:34 AM »
Ok, two major questions relating to the fact that I have just recently (read: about 7 hours ago) installed Mandrake Linux 9.0 onto my laptop.

1) The LCD display has a setting in BIOS which stretches the display onto the full physical dimensions of the screen (or close to). Without this, the display area is a tiny little box in the centre that I have trouble working in (even at the highest supported resolution). The problem is, that when I load X it turns this setting off. Always. Is there any easy way to fix this?

2) I want to test my thumbdrive under Linux to see if it will work. Thing is, I don't know how to look at it. In Windows, I would go to 'My Computer', and it would be there. In DOS, I would type E: (which it always has been on the laptop). How do I do something like this in Linux? I cannot find any way to get a drive listing in the GUI, nor can I figure out how to change drives in the command line. I do have one Unix/Linux book here, but it mentions them to support multiple partitions, but not how the user would switch between them, aside from booting.

Offline Userunfriendly

• Respendent Beta Tester of Madness!
  • Planewalker
Re: Linux Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 03:06:37 PM »
1) I can't remember off the top of me head, (its been years since i last played with solaris, i don't use linux)  but a configuration file should be edited...

2) you need to add a mount command...

sorry i am not much help, the only unix flavors i know are solaris and IOS... :(
Jansens aren't as harmless like everybody supposes!
They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses!
And what's with all the turnips?
Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway?
Jansens, Jansens,
It must be Jansens!!!
(or it could be griffins)

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
Re: Linux Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:13:58 AM »
1) I can't remember off the top of me head, (its been years since i last played with solaris, i don't use linux)  but a configuration file should be edited...

if using xfree86 as your X implementation, the configuration file should be called XF86Config-4 (my red hat 7.2 file), try

cd /usr; find . -name "XF86Config*" -print

I don't know the name of the utility that amends this.

2) you need to add a mount command...

The mount command will assign a mount point (directory name) to the device, the whole drive letter thing goes away with UNIX. Try

$ man mount

the device needs a device file and kernel drivers etc, I am unsure what the device is and where your stuck, and whether I can help much more.

Disclaimer: I'm not a UNIX expert (anymore) so a different bulletin board maybe more helpfull, I found http://www.linux-laptop.net/ very helpfull when putting Red Hat onto my laptop, but my key resource was a co-worker called Richard.