Author Topic: Interject Tutorial?  (Read 6313 times)

Offline KingMick

• Planewalker
  • is woefully new to modding
Interject Tutorial?
« on: March 13, 2006, 04:23:34 AM »
Been looking at the threads here, all awesome, but I do not see anything to teach someone how to create interjections (i.e. how to have your new custom-made NPC say specific things at specific times in the story?)  I see how to create initial dialog and banter dialog, but though I've read the relevant portions of the WeiDU readme I am still unclear on interjection dialog.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes this challenge!

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
Re: Interject Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 04:32:35 AM »
There are a few nicely explained examples in the WeiDU readme:

INTERJECT
INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS
INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2

You're probably gonna be sticking with the first two of them as the last one is purely to deal with some quite specific circumstances.  If you're still a bit confused afterwards, try downloading a 1-Day NPC and see how they've interjected.  Still confused pop back here and we'll see what we can do.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Saber

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:00:25 PM »
Wait, so we don't use INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 all of the time? I used theacefes' tutorial: http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1910

It was quite simple, but I read WeiDU's, and that was really confusing. Can't I just use INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 all of the time? If not, when do I use each one, and do they all work the same? (as in, are they coded the same, just inserting each one into the same part)
"Who is the more foolish... the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:22:15 AM »
Use INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS for everything except in the following case.  You can use INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 when the original speakers is going to perform actions directly afterwards (because using I_C_T it'll accidently transfer those actions onto the NPC interjecting)
e.g.

If Bob is gonna interject into some state in Gary's dialogue where directly afterwards Gary gives you a key, you need I_C_T2 instead of I_C_T.  If you use I_C_T you'll interject fine but then the command GiveItem("Key",etc,etc) will apply to Bob and not Gary.  I_C_T2 does some funny tricks to make sure the original speaker (Gary) will give the item, not Bob.  However, you shouldn't use it all the time, only when theres a chance this bug will happen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:15:45 AM by Grim Squeaker »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
I don't know if you already saw the I_C_T2 tutorial from Rastor.
It makes some comments on when to use I_C_T2 and when I_C_T.

Offline Saber

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »
So in a situation like Kalah's death, where there is a slight cutscene, if I used I_C_T, my character would die?

And when would i just use the INTERJECT command? When nobody else interjects after that, or when nobody else speaks after that, or should I just use I_C_T?

And rastor's tutorial made sense, except for the coding he provided.
"Who is the more foolish... the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 02:08:18 AM »
Just look at what INTERJECT does compared to I_C_T.  I_C_T has your interjection then leaps back into the original dialogue at the point it left off i.e. the interjection has no real effect outside of your little block of stuff.  However, with INTERJECT you can send the conversation off on a complete tangent and (unless you really want to use COPY_TRANS later, perhaps to a different state i.e. not the one you interjected from) it never has to return to the original dialogue.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: