Author Topic: IRON MODDER 2 RESULTS  (Read 3280 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
IRON MODDER 2 RESULTS
« on: April 17, 2004, 10:32:53 AM »
(This is a repost of the original thread by JCompton on the old FWP boards.  Ah, nostalgia...)

We’ve seen a lot of action at Iron Modder 2! Twice as many Iron Modders have joined this contest of technology and honor, on the theme "Some Of My Best Friends Are Slimes." It was a fierce four-hour battle, but the Insane Overlord is now ready to make his presentation!

That so many of you have braved Infinity Stadium to tackle my devilishly slimy theme makes me tremble like a dew-soaked leaf. All of your names shall be enshrined forever in legend.

We now turn to the judges.

Scoring judges were jcompton, Sorschana, Bons, and Userunfriendly.

"It is an honor to be here! Such exalted company! Such competition! All the mods I can consume under a 30 minute time limit! How exciting!" - Bons

"Well, first of all, I'd like to thank the Modding Network (The first Television Network for Modders and their Fans) for a chance to appear on this fine production.  And I'd like to thank Cousin Beloo for all his assistance and help in crafting the Turnip Stories Mod, the winner of this year's Iron Modder Contest...  What!  Drat it, Cousin Beloo missed the deadline???!!!  And a judge is ineligible for entry???" – UU, channeling Jan

"When I first saw what tonight's theme would be, I couldn't help but lick my lips! I've loved slimes ever since I was just a child and the chance to sample so many delightful varieties, prepared by experts, is just a dream come true!" – Sorschana

IRON MODDER ICELUS

Iron Modder Icelus presented us with a portrait of an alternative lifestyle--a maiden of the forest seeking company and fulfillment in the company of the unique Mood Slime. One cannot help but feel for her, betrayed by so many men in her life, and the delicate balance of hope and despair are captured in this mod. When the adventure is over, the PC is perhaps no richer, but he is no slimier, and he may be wiser.

"Such a delicious concept - mood slimes! The shimmering play of color, the tantalizing hints of naughtiness. A very promising exposition leads into what turns out to be a fairly conventional fetch-and-carry quest, but at least one with an innovative target. I had hopes upon returning to Kjobo of a reward to remember, but alas! It was not to be. If only she'd stuck around, or had a few choice last words (or moans?) to offer us by way of dessert. All in all, a delightful little confection in which I'd love to see a little more substance." – Sorschana

"Icelus has chosen to reveal to us the tragically misunderstood heroine of his mod, Kjobo Pansyflake...Kjobo, a woman destined to go down in the annals of romantic stories, like Romeo and
Juliet, Cyrano and Roxane, and Punch and Judy...Alas, for love lost and slimed!" - UU

"Slimes as characters, slime-loving characters, plus the slime summoning figurine. Oh, yes, and Coran. A nicely slimy mod. Completely unrelated, but I think there should be extra credit for spelling 'liaison' correctly. 'Kjobo Pansyflake'! Oh, what a happy name! It makes me think of flowers and snow! I could sit and click on the mood slime for hours! It squishes so delightfully! *squish* *squish*" - Bons

IRON MODDER SIM

The Ding0 presents a tale of lycanthropy and slimy betrayal, with our heroes merely used as pawns in a greater scheme for slime supremacy. The mysterious adventurers are gone as quickly as they arrived, but the mystery of their transformation, and the plans they harbor, is another course we look forward to sampling with great interest!

"Ding0 offers up a delicious little taste of what could easily be a much more substantial adventure, with a riveting first course spelled out in vivid prose and imaginative, if somewhat pungent, notes of spice. Toss in an Evil Little Man, and what more could a gourmand ask for? Alas, the tale wraps up so quickly that one barely has a chance to savor the delight of slightly repulsed giggling brought on by the concepts in this little dish." – Sorschana

"From Ding0,  we have the enigmatic and peculiar story of the were-slime...much like the classic werewolf story, we find the strange story of a bunch of adventurers who when the full moon rises, undergoes a strange and hideous transformation...into ooze-hood.  We can now finally update that hoary quote, so well known to all who travel to the Windspear Hills...

Npc: Were-slime!
Pc: Were-slime???
Npc: There, slime...you stepped in it." - UU

"There was definitely a slime presence to the mod, this one more brooding and mysterious than I have seen in the other entries. Adventurers transformed into were-slimes by magical crap - quite an unexpected interpretation of the theme! Then again, this was Ding0's entry; his crap is always magical. I giggled at least three times!" - Bons

IRON MODDER GHREY

Ghreyfain offers a spicy garnish to one of the game's slimiest characters, as we learn that Isaea Roenall has powerful friends in the gelatinous underworld. Many of them, with names more fantastical and primordially slippery than the last! Can Ghrey wow the judges a second time? Will the lispy, burbling sludge carry the day?

"Who'd have thought we would find such weighty fare on our little menu for the evening? Ghreyfain offers up a complex, nuanced composition layering cruel sniggering, the always-delightfully-repulsive Isaea Roenall, and the sad reality of life as a sentient protoplasmic life form into a creative and delightful treat. A little fluffy overall - this is merely an apertif - but so light on the palate, such a pleasure to savor for those few moments, that it's well worth the time to sample." – Sorschana

"Ghreyfain's entry clearly demonstrated the dialectic struggle between slimes and jellys. Ah, how clearly and finely he showed the true elements of the class struggle in fungal society.  Truly his portrait of the innate class conflicts between the two members of the myconoids shows that the whole society is ripe for a revolution...what?  That wasn't the point at all? Well, despite the lack of  turnip dialog, it had snappy, witty writing, starting out with the readme.  In all, a very entertaining mod." - UU

"The speech impediment and insight into the social stigma of 'schlimism' elevated this presentation to an unexpected level of elegance and tomfoolery. The installation instructions were also dazzling. This entry demonstrated a thoroughness and love for the ReadMe: it was detailed and structured, yet effervescent. It seemed to be saying that the ReadMe is the appetizer to the modding meal, and we should be able to enjoy it, too! I laughed very much! My brain felt like a cloud!" - Bons

IRON MODDER GRIM

Grim Squeaker presents his first Iron Mod, a melange of slime leftovers from classic sci-fi horror made manifest in the BG2 world. But a rushed test cycle means the mod is only half-baked, and the latter portion fails to take hold! What will the judges think of the opening strains of a meal left incomplete?

"If only there'd been more substance here! A promising exposition, touching upon favorite flavors and reminders of old stories, peters out into a frustratingly sluggish and directionless soupiness. It seems as though this promising idea never had the opportunity to jell properly before serving." – Sorschana

"Grim Squeeker's entry is an entertaining little pieceabout the joys of slimehood.  I particularly found the dialog choices for Anomen, my old friend, and Valygar to be most humorous." – UU (note that dialogue was broken in the version tested by the judges.)

"Some of the NPC comments were almost too silly. It made me think, 'This must be what a slime feels like - silly all the time!'" – Bons

IRON MODDER CAMDAWG

Taking a cue straight from the Iron Modder example scenario, Iron Modder CamDawg presents a world overflowing with slime, of beings abruptly changed to and from their natural form to serve some nefarious, slowly-spreading purpose. Would the judges be turned off by a stutter-step march not seen since the infamous multi-romance patches?

"The very thought is delightful - what if everyone were a slime? All the time? An entire Amn of unpredictable smells, tastes and textures offered up for the enjoyment of the player! Alas, in my case it was never meant to be - I suffered only from a bad case of stutter-step, and a longing for that serene, glistening world." – Sorschana

"From Camdawg we have the full featured city mod!!!  A full city of slimes!  Athkatla is no longer the city of coin, but the city of slimes!!!  Alas, Minsc and others had a problem with the Calimshite two-step that plagued the party, due to the scripting changes, but all in all, a very entertaining afternoon watching Trax turn to slimes...very amusing indeed!" - UU

"The few comments made by the slime forms left me wanting more content in this mod than the animation changes. The first couple of slime transformations, I exclaimed, 'Ah! Slime! How Pretty!', but by the third and fourth time, the novelty had worn off. The NPCs would stutter their actions each round because of the mod's script, which took a great deal away from the entertainment value." - Bons

IRON MODDER KISMET

The other returning competitor from the inaugural Iron Modder, Kismet presented our judges with a platter of slime hidden under guise of an innocuous note. Once a slime, always a slime? Is it truly possible to go back home? Or are our heroes destined to spend a lifetime flitting between different states of being, never knowing the comfort of their bipedal form once more?

"Seldom is a mod so bracingly forthright about what one must do. One is COMPELLED to read the scroll that consigns one's companions to a life of slimedom! The inclusion of the sorrow of slimedom...the poignant regret of never participating in the hustle and bustle of life above the sewer tunnels...lends a necessary note of gravity to the proceedings. If only things had not been cut so short after the unexpected inclusion of fresh game!" - Sorschana

"From Kismet we have a most interesting and educational mod, that teaches everyone to not read from strange scrolls.  I particularly liked the way the lesson stuck to you, in more ways than one.  (trading mucus
for fur...I wonder how Edwin felt about the whole business???)  A fun mod, great fun for all...right Boo???  Look, Boo, squirrels!!!" - UU

"Oooh! I am so glad someone transformed the entire party into slimes! It was like a five course meal! Watching the party of slimes move in formation was priceless! *creep**creep**creep* "SWORDS, NOT WORDS!!!" Entertainment worth a million yen! While unfinished, I like how this mod had a plot beyond the transformations, which made it special compared to some other party-changing entries." – Bons

IRON MODDER RIKLAUNIM

Some of our best friends are slimes? What if our best friend in all the world was so afflicted? Riklaunim asks this question rhetorically, but the answer is in the tasting as Imoen becomes a slime, complete with painful transformation!

"Imoen is so delightfully CUTE in green! And so durable, too! To see Irenicus actually indulge in a variation on his venerable 'the pain should only be passing' speech is always a delight. If only the little taste offered up here in this appetizer had possesed just a tad more substance - a reaction shot here and there would have been priceless." –Sorschana

"Riklaunim presented us with a heretoforth tragic side of one of the most popular NPC's to ever grace anyone's party, our beloved Imoen. Who knew she had a fungal side to her, who knew that she occasionally dripped mucus...and had to be mopped up wherever she went.  Alas, poor Imoen, tortured, kidnapped, and now gooey...sob!" - UU

"This mod was like a thimbleful of sake." - Bons

IRON MODDER POTENCIUS

Also known as Iron Modder Max, this serving promised to whisk the player to a whole other world of slime. Sadly, the item in the mod failed to function, so the judges could not completely score the mod.

"Merely a mysterious object appearing in one's inventory, a strange and wondrous item whose pungency promises all manner of interesting consequences...sadly, that first fascinating whiff is never followed up. Tragically, the explosive results are always denied one before a true taste can be had." – Sorschana

"From Max we have an entertaining idea of summoning slimes to attack our enemies...my, not quite as gnomish as a Flasher Bruiser Mate, yet the idea of sliming someone has a certain icky charm...alas, the mod failed to function correctly, and we can only admire max for his courageous attempt." - UU

"Playing this made me think of eating blowfish." - Bons

All of the judges have been heard from! Who will it be? Which Iron Modder shall reign supreme?

IRON MODDER GHREYFAIN!

In a stunning repeat victory, Iron Modder Ghreyfain solidifies his hold on the title with a mod that asked as many questions as it answered in a surprisingly delicious revisitation of the Isaea Roenall plot! Infinity Stadium is awash with well-wishers for this dynamic performance!

FINAL SCORES out of 25 possible (average):

Ghrey: 19.75
Kismet: 17.75
Icelus: 17.25
Sim: 16
Grim: 13.75
CamDawg: 13
Riklaunim: 12.75
Max: (no score recorded)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 10:40:39 AM by Icelus »
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: IRON MODDER 2 RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 10:33:29 AM »
Mods can be downloaded from

http://www.pocketplane.net/ironmod/

Note that Grim's is not up because it is only partially functional, and Max's is not up because it is not at all functional. Both are welcome to submit working versions for inclusion on the site, and any late-completing entries can also go up.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: IRON MODDER 2 RESULTS
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 10:33:55 AM »
Average scores by category

EXposition of the Theme (1-10)
Originality (1-5)
Innovation (1-5)
ENtertainment (1-5)

GHREY
EX: 8.5
O: 3.5
I: 3
EN: 4.75
# of first-place votes: 3

GRIM
EX: 6.25
O: 2.5
I: 2.75
EN: 2.25
# of first-place votes: 0

ICELUS

EX: 7.5
O: 3.25
I: 2.75
EN: 3.75

CAMDAWG

EX: 5
O: 2.75
I: 3.75
EN: 1.5

SIM

EX: 6.75
O: 3
I: 2.5

KISMET

EX: 7
O: 3.75
I: 3.25
# of first-place votes: 1

RIKLAUNIM

EX: 6
O: 2.5
I: 2
EN: 2.25