Author Topic: In which I ruin everything.  (Read 8102 times)

Domi

Re: In which I ruin everything.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 05:17:13 PM »
*Giggles* I think so :)

Offline Evaine Dian

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 05:37:59 PM »

In my textbooks and encylopedias, etc, I have never heard the French Revolution heralded as a great moment in France's history, or world history.

In German history lessons the French Revolution is an important topic. It is seen a great moment in history, quite similar to Fourth of July (IMO there's a big difference between those two events, but I didn't make up the curriculum), a step closer to a real democratization, a step away from absolutism.
As far as I know the beginning of the French Revolution is still celebrated; July 14 is national holiday.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 06:54:45 PM by Evaine Dian »
"Show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream", she said,
"the one that makes me laugh!" she said and threw her arms around my neck.
"Show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you..."

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 05:50:36 PM »
"What to do?" = translated into english as "What is to be done?". a classic text, i've still got it on my bookshelf.

to ruin some more:

portugal win 3-2 on penalties  :(
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 07:41:14 PM »

As far as I know the beginning of the French Revolution is still celebrated; July 14 is national holiday.

I do realize that Bastille Day is a national holiday, and I am familiar with its origins. I just did not realize it was considered to be a highwater mark of French and world history. I did not realize that it was considered a great moment in the history of the peoples' revolution. I did ask my brother what he was taught about the French Revolution when in France but his comments on his teachers were somewhat flammable, and my intent is not to cause controversy. I thought Domi's posts were very interesting. I better stop commenting on this subject or Corvis will get really mad that his topic has been hijacked and elevated. ;D

PS:

I just wanted to clarify:

The French Revolution was not taught to me as an abomination of history. I think what I got from the history of the Revolution was mixed results. There was good that was accomplished as well as horror. So to hear it extolled as a perfect example of revolution, surprised me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:49:25 PM by Regullus »

Domi

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 09:09:24 PM »
Do not worry, Regullus, Corvis is always mad.

"What to do?" = translated into english as "What is to be done?". a classic text, i've still got it on my bookshelf.

while you are right - the "what's to be done" is obviously a proper English, I think it has a bit of more "practical"/"sure" sound to it, while in the Russian title the helplessness of the phrase always bought me (I can be wrong of course). Other than that the book left mixed impressions on me (mainly because of Vera Pavlovna's dreams... gods give her insomnia), but the title was great.

Offline BobTokyo

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 09:21:06 PM »
Do not worry, Regullus, Corvis is always mad.

while you are right - the "what's to be done" is obviously a proper English, I think it has a bit of more "practical"/"sure" sound to it, while in the Russian title the helplessness of the phrase always bought me (I can be wrong of course). Other than that the book left mixed impressions on me (mainly because of Vera Pavlovna's dreams... gods give her insomnia), but the title was great.

The Japanese version is "shoganai" which effectively means "There is nothing to be done".

Offline Sarah

• Dizzy Blond
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 05:54:43 AM »
What, no Sixth Sense spoiler?

Im pretty sure this is Sixth Sense.

Bruce Willis is really a ghost.

Ah ok  ;D The list was long...*pouts* Everyone knows someone who's had that spoiled for them. My brother-in-law-to-be (that's getting long winded now) rented it out when it was first released and excitedly told his father about it, who then replied "Oh yeah, we saw that film. He's dead in the end you know". He was devastated. Bless.

Offline Sarah

• Dizzy Blond
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2004, 05:56:16 AM »
Sixth Sense spoilers. Heheh.

Before seeing Sixth Sense, I read a review of a DIFFERENT movie (can't recall which) that said something like:

"Telling you XYZ about this film before you see it would be like telling you in advance that you find out in Sixth Sense that Bruce Willis is a robot."

So I stopped reading, aghast at the spoiler... and while watching Sixth Sense I was operating under the impression that somehow Bruce Willis was a robot.

"Oh! Well, he got shot, so he... became an android, like Robocop! That's why his wife is so sad and distant, she doesn't like androids!"

:D

I overheard what I *thought* was a spoiler, catching something about "ghost" and the little boy, so all through film I was thinking "How the hell can the little boy be a ghost? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE."

Offline Sarah

• Dizzy Blond
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 05:59:18 AM »
mcready was never shown to have been infected by the thing..it was deliberately left up in the air..

There was a book or graphic novel or something which continued the story and said that yeah, he was infected. Actually, I think they both were.

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 07:19:44 AM »
Back to Corvis's original thread

Better said as

"England lose on Penalties"

Offline Sarah

• Dizzy Blond
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2004, 05:03:16 PM »
Back to Corvis's original thread

Better said as

"England lose on Penalties"

Better said as "The inevitable happened" :( :'(

Aristothenes

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2004, 07:35:21 AM »
MacReady wasn't infected, Childs was.
This was the viewpoint in the 3 Dark Horse comics, following the movie, and the game:
The Thing (From Another World), The Thing: Eternal Vows, The Thing: Questionable Research.