Author Topic: Failure  (Read 2574 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Failure
« on: April 20, 2004, 07:15:31 PM »
Anishai watched disdainfully as yet another intoxicated figure stumbled out of the Copper Coronet and into the street. She pondered which would prove the easiest victims, knowing that dozens of her associates prowled the streets in search of such prey. She took care, however, not to stare for too long at any single target, for in her profession, such a momentary lapse of judgement might prove fatal.

The faint sounds of incessant chatter and music from the tavern irritated her as she contemplated her assignment. While she wondered at Mae'Var's possible intentions in sending her on such a seemingly insignificant mission as this, it was not her place to question his instructions. She had achieved success within the guild in part due to her survival skills, and she knew better than anyone that her own superiors posed as great a threat as any she might kill.

Her attention quickly shifted as she detected a distinctive form in the corner of her eye. As she turned, Anishai saw not what she expected, but nothing which would shock or concern her. A man stood by her, closer than she had realised. His features were finely shaped, but ghostly pale.

"Ahh, Anishai, you are the pretty thief my mistress spoke of?" His tone was soft, almost seductively so, and Anishai found it difficult to shift her gaze from his countenance.

"At least you do me fair justice. Yours too is a face I would not forget," she replied. "Perhaps I might hear a name with which I might associate it?"

Her adversary's expression did not change. "I do not deal in names. Do not let it concern you. But perhaps we should not hesitate in our dealings?"

"Very well. You have something Mae'Var wants. He has something your mistress wants."

"Then I will not hesitate, especially for one such as yourself." The man produced a small locket from the folds of his robe. Anishai recognised it as belonging to Renal Bloodscalp; how it came to be here remained a mystery, however, and was none of her concern. She grabbed it from his hand, placing it safely in her pouch.

"Even as we speak, the Bhaalspawn co-operates with Mae'Var. As your mistress dictated, he will be sent into her clutches, where she may use him as she pleases."

The man nodded, seeming almost uninterested. Throughout the conversation, Anishai had been assessing him, waiting for an opportunity. None had presented itself, however, and this called for alternative methods.

She smiled. "And does a lady not receive a kiss for her efforts?" She sought not to indulge her personal pleasures, but merely to obtain a suitable means of attack. Anishai was confident that her speed and skill would enable her to perform the task cleanly, with minimal danger to herself.

"But of course, my beauty," responded the man. "It is only fitting."

They moved closer, embracing one another gently. As their lips touched, she gripped a concealed dagger in one hand, poised for the fatal strike. Anishai was aware when the moment came, yet she did not act. She could not act. A paralysing weakness enveloped her, rendering her helpless in the arms of her victim. As the life force drained from her, her consciousness slipping away, the truth of her predicament struck her.

A series of thoughts flashed through her mind. Why had Mae'Var not warned her? Why had he sent her alone against such a foe? Why had she let such a terrible lapse in judgement slip through? Of course, she was fully aware of the answer to two of these questions. Her success or failure was of no consequence to Mae'Var; to him, she was a pawn, his to use at every whim, nothing more.

Anishai could utter no sound to summon help, and moments later, her lifeless body slumped to the floor. Her killer vanished into the night as swiftly and gracefully as he had appeared, any sound obscured by the bustling noise which remained audible through the open door to the Copper Coronet.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: