Author Topic: Kelsey's dream - crashing bug  (Read 586 times)

Kaedalynn

Kelsey's dream - crashing bug
« on: October 01, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
Hi! I'm playing Kelsey V6 in BG2EE and I've hit a game-breaking bug in SOA. This is after his romance has gone to 2. We go to sleep, and in the morning Kelsey tells me about the dream he had involving Anomen. The dream's graphics and font are messed up, and when Kelsey tries to leave the dream-shop to go to the temple of Oghma the game freezes and I have to force-exit it because it stops responding. Here's a link to the screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/F60bp6A

Lines appear across my screen, and the font is glitched because the apostrophes don't appear correctly. The freeze/crash happens after my character says "I'll stay here and watch the shop. I await your return with baited breath." Kelsey tries to leave the shop, and the game freezes irreparably.

I've tried: 1) Removing Anomen from my party before sleeping, 2) Using Ctrl-K to remove Kelsey, and then re-add him (with and without Anomen present), 3) Re-installing Kelsey and then the Tweak pack, 4) restoring Kelsey's OG portrait (I was using a custom portrait). Nothing has worked.

I'm running the EE version of the game in Windows 11. The game is up to date, and I haven't had any other mod issues so far. The only other modded NPC I have in my party is Dvardime. I also have Arath, Gahesh, Nephele, and Kivan installed, though I'm not using them.

I can post my Weidu log, if that would help. I don't know if this mod is still being actively supported or not, but since I can't continue my game at the moment because of this unavoidable bug, I figured it was worth a shot to post about it.

Is there a way to fix this, or avoid the dream sequence altogether? Thanks!

Kaedalynn

Re: Kelsey's dream - crashing bug
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 12:22:51 PM »
Update to this post (not that anyone will see it, but here it is just in case): I changed Kelsey's LT number in EEKeeper from 51 to 52, just to see if I could skip the dream sequence entirely. It didn't - the dream sequence still fired when I rested again - but it didn't crash! The lines were still present on my screen, but the game didn't freeze/crash partway through the dream.

I have no idea if changing the LT number actually made a difference, or if it just happened that the 20th try was the charm. Anyway, I've finally been able to progress with my playthrough after a week of waiting.

Also, after the fact I changed the LT number back to 51. I'm hoping that doesn't screw me up sometime in the future. Kelsey is still flirting, but since there's no LT list anywhere I can't check if his LT's are done now or if I'm missing any.

I guess this mod isn't supported anymore anyway, so I'll never know.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:31:09 AM »
Please post your weidu.log. I can't find the text inside the Kelsey mod.

"Not supported" is a relative term. There is no direct maintainer, but we try to keep the mods alive.

EDIT: The lines across the area is because the EEs use a different area graphic format, all "old" area graphics show these lines. The scrambled symbols would be a false text format (EEs need utf8, classic engine used ANSI). Falsely formatted symbols can freeze the EEs.
Your weidu.log would be helpful because I'd like to identify which mod this is.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:34:08 AM by jastey »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 11:52:35 AM »
Found it. This scene is not from teh Kelsey mod, but the extra mod "Getting Rid of Anomen" which can be downloaded here . This was probably never updated for the EEs.

Kaedalynn

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »
Ohhhh I see! I thought GRoA didn't trigger until ToB, so it didn't occur to me that the issue could be with GRoA. My bad! Thanks for the help! It did eventually work in the end, thankfully. Kelsey is a fabulous mod, btw! I'm really enjoying it.

And good to know about the forum still being alive! I don't necessarily expect BG2 mods to be supported anymore, but I hadn't seen any post here to say Kelsey wasn't being supported so I was confused.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »
Thanks! Forums are quiet and time needs to be measured in months / years in IE modding, but it's still breathing! :-)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: