Author Topic: Make Lavok joinable  (Read 13288 times)

Domi

Re: Make Lavok joinable
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2004, 07:51:42 AM »
Also I can definitely understand that Valygar's whole point of existence at least after Valygar's relatives including his mother fall prey to Lavok, is to destroy him and until this is done he himself cannot rest in peace. 

Valygar's parents tragedy was unrelated to Lavok. It is unclear if Valygar's mother is Corthala by blood or by marriage. Since the title/family name is shown in D'Arnise's quest to be passed down paternaly, his mother is most probably Corthala by marriage, or a close relative of his father, ie the curse - obsession with magic falls on everyone who joins the family. Valygar's mother attraction to magic ruined her family life, and when his father died naturally, she tried to reverse the past by turning him into a zombie and herself - into a powerful undead (probably lich). Her actions are independent of Lavok's ever-present threat, but repeat the same pattern - an attempt to overrite the fate with magical means and extend human life beyound its normal duration. It is hinted at that such transformation turned his parents to evil as Valygar was forced to slayne them.

In the quest's game conclusion Lavok looses the fear of death in the end, and actually desires it - and with it comes the absolution from Valygar for kinslaying. That in turn absolove Valygar of kinslaying.

If Lavok's death wish is ignored, oth, Valygar needs to turn to magical means of sustaining his life - I assume that Lavok already uses some sort of longevivity potion to extend the lifecycle of the bodies he takes possession of, otherwise his visits to Athkatla would have been much more numerous - and it is on its end, apparently.  The second option is to take Valygar's body - and you lose Valygar. The third, as supplied by Kish, is lichdom. Now, my whole knowledge of lichdom transformation comes from a fanfic I read a couple of years ago, and I vaguely remeber that it is a complex magicl procedure involving human sacrifices. Neither Valygar has expertise handy (if Lavok is effectively dieing) nor I can see him willing to sacrifice any more loves to fuel his family's obsession with immortality. That's of course if he is not instanteneously corrupted.

Of course one can always go to CW and say trade the Sphere for Lavok's lichdom - you can make a deal with handily positioned T. Same goes for using Val's body and restoring Lavok in his old-fashioned way.

But again, these are evil ways, hardly suitable for a good beginning.

I won't deny that one of the most challenging aspects of making Lavok a joinable NPC to any degree of satisfaction is how to deal with Valygar and the tragedy that befalls  his family, but I see enough of a gray area so that it could be possible not to make Valygar lose himself or tarnish his personality, instead it might even add more depth of character to Valygar. 

Have fun  :) Adding depth is the good thing.

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2004, 09:08:54 AM »
my whole knowledge of lichdom transformation comes from a fanfic I read a couple of years ago,

I really hope you're joking, here.

Domi

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
I am not. "The Journey to the North" was full of gory details and went in all sorts of explanations on why and how and ectoplazm or whatever that and this... I honestly never was fascinated enough by the topic to do additional reading - hey, I have to discriminate, since I have very little time for learning. Before BG1 landed in our house all I knew of D&D was a fazzy memory of some TV episode, when a bunch of D&D'ers did hard-core RP'ing and killed each-other when their character dies or something. And prior to that in my teens I am pretty positive that even if some boxed set ever made it accross the curtain, it would have been deemed totally anti-sovetic, since the only redeeming feature of it would probably be the slave-freeing quests... *sighs* 

fallen demon

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2004, 11:22:56 PM »
I don't see any technical reason why Lavok couldn't be merged w/ Valygar.  it wasn't so much he didn't think of it as it wouldn't give him full control of the body and be less preferable 4 power hungry/possesed lavok.  I just dont see why redeemed lavok would want to do any more harm to his family, but if someone more creative than i were to think of a reason then i think it would make a very entertaining mod, especially b/c Valygar/lavok would keep all the wizard spells but try not to use them.

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2004, 11:17:53 AM »

How about when he casts a spell as a merged Valygar/Lavok you get some kind of wild surge due to the internal conflict?

Or random spell casting during battle to reflect the Lavok halves commitment to self-protection?

Admittedly the second one might be a bit harder to code for!

Rabain
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: