Author Topic: Question to USING ~Mymod/xxx.tra~  (Read 1191 times)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Question to USING ~Mymod/xxx.tra~
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:22:57 AM »
In my understanding, pointing the installer to another tra-file with USING results in all lines of this tra-file being taken for compilation.

I just encountered an instance where it seems that how USING works is the following: If there is a tra-file that has the same name as the d-file, than the lines of this tra file will be taken for compilation regardless of another tra-file (with different lines for the numbers) is specified by USING. Only the tra-lines which numbers are not in the tra-file which has the same name as the d-file will be taken out of the by USING specified tra-file.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I didn't know this and the author of the mod I am currently updating didn't either, obviously.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
Re: Question to USING ~Mymod/xxx.tra~
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »
Are you using both AUTO_TRA and USING? I remember that there is a hierarchical order in which the LANGUAGE, AUTO, and USING are evaluated, but I can’t find the post where that is described.
Regardless, I think it might be clearer for USING to function as a “use this first and then fill in down the hierarchy”, overriding A_T

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
Yes, AUTO_TRA is defined. Still, up to now I though USING would be preferred. (I mean, the mod uses two different but similar called .d-files with different line numbers, i.e. the extended file contains the same lines but with other lines in between so that the numbers do not match. It's not the most clever way of handling this.)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
TRA files are loaded in the order LANGUAGE, WITH_TRA, USING and AUTO_TRA, which means AUTO_TRA has the highest precedence.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 05:10:52 AM »
Thank you! I have a faint recall you wrote this before somewhere but I didn't recall it, obviously.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: