Author Topic: Sounds promising - why is it so obscure?  (Read 5037 times)

Offline ithildur

• Planewalker
Sounds promising - why is it so obscure?
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:53 AM »
Why hasn't this mod gotten more publicity?? This is the first I've heard of it. A mod that adds some story/plot depth to ToB, especially if it's well written, would be so very welcome.

Offline Isewein

• Planewalker
Re: Sounds promising - why is it so obscure?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »
Seems it just came too late, sadly. It's really one of the better-written ones out there (as all of Kulyok's stuff, really); and even among her mods Reunion integrates exceptionally well into the pacing and writing of the original game. If you like to imagine ToB as the full-fledged third installment of the Bhaalspawn trilogy, at least story-wise, then this together with Wheels of Prophecy go a long way. I would suggest turning up difficulty a notch from your usual preference, as the challenges here are rather harmless compared to ToB.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Do I see it right that -

1. the mod is not compatible with Gavin (content-wise) because it uses Miranda and Lanie (the mother with daughter in Temple District)?
2. the content can only experienced if Nalia is in party?

Offline Isewein

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
1. Yes, the resolution of Lanie is incompatible with Gavin. It's not that jarring; you could simply imagine that Miranda stuck to her old ways and found a new child to exploit, I suppose? In any case, this is in no way essential to the mod, and should not deter anyone from installing it.
2. Yes, but it works perfectly fine to only recruit her for this adventure in ToB.

I really can't emphasise it enough - this mod should be in any and every install! It is as vital for ToB as Wheels of Prophecy. The side quests largely feel like filler, but the writing for the two main characters is superb and the whole idea behind the concept is refreshingly novel, yet still feels like it should always have been there. Seriously, the writing is so on point, it managed to completely reverse my views on a particular character, whom I had always thought to be of the more bland, puppy-kicking variety of evil, by way of a single brilliant sentence (you'll know it when you read it). It offers a completely new perspective and plenty of opportunities to roleplay Charname's grappling with their fate and future. I actually suggest playing it last in Chapter 9, straight after a certain encounter with a certain divine usurper (in fact, I feel Reunion should have been hardcoded to occur right after his appearance for story reasons, but I suppose it would be too easy to miss that way). This quest isn't about the fights anyway, and it fits very well as a last, personal denouement before the final confrontation.

The cherry on top for this mod would be some crossmod with Turnabout. A simple matter of adding some extra lines to the latter would suffice, but I guess it would be a mess to code with general compatibility in mind...

I hope Kulyok still skims these forums from time to time - if you do, thanks for all you have done for bringing Amn and Tethyr to life with some drama!

PS: Once again, the butler did it...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:37:53 PM by Isewein »

Doudou

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »
1. Yes, the resolution of Lanie is incompatible with Gavin. It's not that jarring; you could simply imagine that Miranda stuck to her old ways and found a new child to exploit, I suppose? In any case, this is in no way essential to the mod, and should not deter anyone from installing it.
2. Yes, but it works perfectly fine to only recruit her for this adventure in ToB.

I really can't emphasise it enough - this mod should be in any and every install! It is as vital for ToB as Wheels of Prophecy. The side quests largely feel like filler, but the writing for the two main characters is superb and the whole idea behind the concept is refreshingly novel, yet still feels like it should always have been there. Seriously, the writing is so on point, it managed to completely reverse my views on a particular character, whom I had always thought to be of the more bland, puppy-kicking variety of evil, by way of a single brilliant sentence (you'll know it when you read it). It offers a completely new perspective and plenty of opportunities to roleplay Charname's grappling with their fate and future. I actually suggest playing it last in Chapter 9, straight after a certain encounter with a certain divine usurper (in fact, I feel Reunion should have been hardcoded to occur right after his appearance for story reasons, but I suppose it would be too easy to miss that way). This quest isn't about the fights anyway, and it fits very well as a last, personal denouement before the final confrontation.

The cherry on top for this mod would be some crossmod with Turnabout. A simple matter of adding some extra lines to the latter would suffice, but I guess it would be a mess to code with general compatibility in mind...

I hope Kulyok still skims these forums from time to time - if you do, thanks for all you have done for bringing Amn and Tethyr to life with some drama!

PS: Once again, the butler did it...

Sorry at bother you, but is Reunion compatible with Wheels of Prophecy, please?

Offline Isewein

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 04:55:19 PM »
No issues encountered whatsoever in my last playthrough.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: