Author Topic: What defines the browser WeiDU calls for readmes?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
What defines the browser WeiDU calls for readmes?
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:27:32 AM »
I am sure this is not a WeiDU issue but I don't know how this works so I'll ask here.

On my windows computer, WeiDU v244 opens the mod's readme (.html file) with Internet Explorer although Firefox is set to standard browser and also html-files are automatically opened with Firefox if I open them by hand from the WindowsExplorer filemanager.

Does anyone know whether this could be changed and how? I don't want any files to be opened with Internet Explorer, I don't want this program to run at all.

Offline Gwendolyne_FP

• Planewalker
Re: What defines the browser WeiDU calls for readmes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:53:25 AM »
Does not happen with W8.1 and WeiDU (whatever version). But I did not update Firefox to 57 + versions.
The only time I used IE was to download Firefox. ;)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:58:49 AM »
Yes, me too. :)

I have Windows 7.

Offline Argent77

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
From what I can see in the WeiDU sources, readmes are started on Windows via "start" command.

You can test if this is indeed the culprit by starting a command prompt, go into the readme directory and call "start readme.html" (or whatever the readme filename might be).

To test file association itself you can execute "assoc .html", followed by ftype with the filetype returned by assoc (e.g. "ftype htmlfile"). ftype can also be used to set a new association. I haven't used it myself yet, so I don't know if there is more involved. It's probably easier to set Firefox as the default app for html from within the Firefox options.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:49:53 AM by Argent77 »

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Yes, WeiDU issues the command "start htmlfile" to the Windows command prompt. What happens after that is up to Windows, but you would think the file would be opened in whatever program you have set to handle HTML files.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:52:14 AM by Wisp »

Offline Argent77

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
Maybe the UAC feature of Windows plays tricks with file associations, as it starts WeiDU in a different user context.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
Maybe the UAC feature of Windows plays tricks with file associations, as it starts WeiDU in a different user context.
Yes! That was it. Thank you! Of course, I feel stupid now, but it wouldn't have occurred to me that it's the admin's login configuration that is being used.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: