Author Topic: UTF-8 text conversion is needed for non-English installations  (Read 4872 times)

Offline agb1

• Planewalker
UTF-8 text conversion is needed for non-English installations
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »
An Enhanced Edition user with Polish language encountered a crash caused by this mod.  http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28161&page=49#entry249321

I believe the cause of the crash is that the text installed by this mod is ANSI encoded, whereas EE games that aren't using English language require text to be encoded as UTF-8.

I have added a patch for Reunion to the BiG World Fixpack that uses HANDLE_CHARSETS to convert the ANSI-encoded tra files only when EE game type is detected.

Since my patch is part of the Fixpack, I referenced the copy of iconv that we include with the Fixpack; if you follow my approach and add HANDLE_CHARSETS in the next release, remember that you will need to include a standalone copy of iconv in the mod package.  I would recommend keeping the tra files in non-UTF8 encoding in the mod package and using the HANDLE_CHARSETS conversion at install-time so you will still have a single mod package for both EE and non-EE games.

The Big World Fixpack also includes a couple of other patches for your mod to make it compatible with EET.

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
Re: UTF-8 text conversion is needed for non-English installations
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:15:27 AM »
We did the same and Kukyok has the new package.
I'm going to let Kulyok know about the polish translation. Can you attach here the polish .tra files?

Offline agb1

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
There is no Polish translation as far as I know.  The mod only includes English tra files.  I guess the crash was unrelated to Polish language - just EE in general.

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »
Ah ok, I didn't understand, sorry.
Well, with v2 it shouldn't crash anymore. :)

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: