Author Topic: Banter restorations  (Read 14992 times)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
Banter restorations
« on: June 03, 2017, 10:09:53 PM »
During EE development, a number of cut banters were found. I'm way, way behind on UB (or ARP) development so I have no idea if these have already been found and enabled already.

Aerie and Jan banter about Jan's great-grandfather slaying a dragon:

Code: [Select]
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BAERIE 44 ~InParty("Jan") See("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDAerieJanBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BAERIE BEGIN 44 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDAerieJanBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Aerie and Minsc talk about the forest:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BAERIE 76 ~InParty("Minsc") See("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDAerieMinscBanter","LOCALS",0) AreaType(FOREST)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BAERIE BEGIN 76 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDAerieMinscBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Haer'Dalis and Mazzy have a brief aside--very brief, two lines--about her ferocity.

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BHAERDA 2 ~InParty("Mazzy") See("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDHaerdalisMazzyBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BHAERDA BEGIN 2 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDHaerdalisMazzyBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Valygar and Korgan discuss dwarves:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BVALYGA 65 ~InParty("Korgan") See("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDValygarKorganBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BVALYGA BEGIN 65 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDValygarKorganBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Viconia packs four taunts in two lines with Mazzy:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BVICONI 7 ~InParty("Mazzy") See("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDViconiaMazzyBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BVICONI BEGIN 7 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDViconiaMazzyBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Viconia doesn't trust Yoshimo:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BVICONI 8 ~InParty("Yoshimo") See("Yoshimo") !StateCheck("Yoshimo",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDViconiaYoshimoBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BVICONI BEGIN 8 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDViconiaYoshimoBanter","LOCALS",1)~
Viconia and Jan briefly exchange barbs:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BVICONI 24 ~InParty("Jan") See("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDViconiaJanBanter","LOCALS",0)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BVICONI BEGIN 24 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDViconiaJanBanter","LOCALS",1)~

Yoshimo praises Boo's battle prowess:

REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER BYOSHIM 71 ~InParty("Minsc") See("Minsc") HPLT("Minsc",20) !StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING) CombatCounter(0) Global("BYoshimo13","LOCALS",1)~ // triggers present, but commented out and false'd
This one also requires some yoshimo.bcs touchups:

IF
  InParty(Myself)
  !StateCheck(Myself,STATE_SLEEPING)
  InParty("Minsc")
  See("Minsc")
  HPLT("Minsc",20)
  !StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)
  CombatCounter(0)
  Global("BYoshimo13","LOCALS",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("BYoshimo13","LOCALS",1)
    Interact("Minsc")
END

A couple of NPCs have banters if one dies and was resurrected, so these also require a little scripting. Boo--certainly not Minsc!--was scared about losing Mazzy, and Yoshimo is happy to see Aerie's return:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BMINSC 30 ~InParty("Mazzy") See("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",2)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BMINSC BEGIN 30 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",3)~

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BYOSHIM 0 ~InParty("Aerie") See("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",STATE_SLEEPING) Global("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",2)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION BYOSHIM BEGIN 0 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",3)~

Also requires some minsc.bcs scripting:

// restored minsc-mazzy banter
IF
  InParty(Myself)
  InParty("Mazzy")
  Dead("Mazzy")
  Global("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",1)
END

IF
  InParty(Myself)
  InParty("Mazzy")
  See("Mazzy")
  !StateCheck("Mazzy",STATE_SLEEPING)
  !Dead("Mazzy")
  Global("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("CDMinscMazzyBanter","LOCALS",2)
    Interact("Mazzy")
END

...and some yoshimo.bcs scripting:

IF
  InParty(Myself)
  InParty("Aerie")
  Dead("Aerie")
  Global("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",1)
END

IF
  InParty(Myself)
  InParty("Aerie")
  See("Aerie")
  !StateCheck("Aerie",STATE_SLEEPING)
  !Dead("Aerie")
  Global("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("CDYoshimoAerieBanter","LOCALS",2)
    Interact("Aerie")
END
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
Re: Banter restorations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:36:40 AM »
Mm, interesting.  I took up maintaining UB as much as I can with the blessing of Kulyok.  The current v26 with modernized coding was done by me, and I am working on v27 that has native EET support (thanks to the BWP people) and a few other things (mainly two cut items that I found, Irenicus' third journal and the golem brain).

I'll certainly take a look at these, they look neat and since you already did most of the coding they should be a snap to include.  At the moment I am rather busy with one of my own projects, but I should have some time to check this out in a few days.

This is my current (untested!) alpha version for v27: http://www.pearlgates.net/modding/UnfinishedBusiness-v27alpha.zip

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Well, I went through the UB code today, and I checked the dialog files of my current BGT installation.  It doesn't look like these dialogs are currently restored by UB, ARP or any of the banter packs, as I have installed all of those and several other mods, and these banters still lack any proper triggers.

I probably can use this to create a new component for UB that will restore them.  I have a convention this weekend so I likely won't be able to start before next week though.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:54:29 PM by Angel »

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
Sweet!

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:41:22 PM »
Well, this actually turned out to be so easy to implement that I -uh- did it already.  Thanks to your work, this was a cinch. :-)

I did replace the STATE_SLEEPING in the various dialog checks with CD_STATE_NOTVALID defined in the mod, but everything else was copy-paste.  All I had to do was add a new component to the setup file, update the readme, and nudge a few things here and there.

The alpha on my site (link above) has been updated with this.  Like everything else in the alpha, this is completely untested!

One thing though, are these banters still dummied out in BG2EE, or should I make this component for old BG2 only?

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
The nice thing with this code is that it won't really matter if multiple mods run it--you'll get dupe triggers and script blocks, but everything should still work. As for BGIIEE, I believe this is slated for the next patch but I can't say for sure. OTOH it is currently in the Fixpack v11 beta, but I had planned to remove it once it was in a stable UB release.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 01:14:19 AM »
Heh, I see.  Fair enough.  As for a stable release, well I don't think I messed anything up, and I did get some positive feedback from the EET and BWP people.  But until I have actually tested what I did, I'm being careful.  I also need translations for two strings I added.  I plan to start a new BGT game now that I got the urge to play IWD out of my system (at least for now), so maybe in a few weeks...

Offline Almateria

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
I take a week off due to the finals going on, and this is what I miss. Someone already called dibs, darn it.

Does that mean the ARP/UB feud is real now

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
Nah, take 'em too--like I said, they're written in such a way that if multiple mods try to install this, no bad should come of it other than a few dupe triggers.

Should. :)

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 04:42:47 AM »
Heh, no feud there as far as I'm concerned. :-)

I coded mine to be detectable with the file override/ubbanter.xxx (same style as the other UB components), so you can use that to test if you like.  But as CamDawg said, there should be no real harm other than some duplicate triggers.

Offline Almateria

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
Aw dang, I prepared all sorts of dumb jokes about you. Like the UB v27 alpha actually being Improved Anvil v6.

Oh yeah, that's right! Guess I might pop that in with a detection check in place, since, well... ultimately, ARP is way smaller than UB lmao. I dunno if there are people installing my mod and not UB.
Since I never did get an article in PC Gamer.  :(

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »
Ooh, there I went to pop some corn and now this. The IE modding scene isn't what it used to be back in the days!!111

(Thank god.)

OT: Thank you for restoring these! More banter is always better.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 03:01:28 AM »
Aw dang, I prepared all sorts of dumb jokes about you. Like the UB v27 alpha actually being Improved Anvil v6.

Kinda would have gone over my head anyway, as I never installed Improved Anvil. ^^

Oh yeah, that's right! Guess I might pop that in with a detection check in place, since, well... ultimately, ARP is way smaller than UB lmao. I dunno if there are people installing my mod and not UB.
Since I never did get an article in PC Gamer.  :(

Dunno, but I am installing them both. :-)
And hey, UB is not my mod, I'm only trying to keep it alive and compatible.  The real credit should go to those who created it in the first place.

Offline Aedan

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »
Angel, I have a question: does the beta version of the mod you posted restore these dialogues?

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 02:27:28 AM »
Angel, I have a question: does the beta version of the mod you posted restore these dialogues?

Yes, it does, in the new "Banter Restorations" component.  No new strings are introduced by it, the texts are already in the game.  CamDawg's modifications merely fix/restore the trigger conditions.  Although I should perhaps tra-ify the mod title, and also Kulyok's "The Murder of Acton Balthis" mod title.

Offline Aedan

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
Yes, it would be great. Many thanks for your work - much appreciated!

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 04:30:30 AM »
Alright, pushed a modified ub.tp2 and tra/english/ubsetup.tra to GitHub.  Only change is that the component names of all components are now tra-yfied.  The new strings are @1313 and @1314 in tra/english/ubsetup.tra.

Offline Aedan

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Awesome :)
I am working hard to update the Italian translation of this mod (I made it time ago and it needs to be polished).
In the meantime, I remembered two another component that would be nice to restore:
- check 5HEAD04 and listen to 2HEAD01.wav. ToB heads speech was meant to be longer, but somehow their lines got cut. It would be nice to restore the full dialogue and audio.
- there is a banter between Cernd and Valygar regarding Suna Seni. Check string 21076 (CERND56.wav) and string 21079 (VALYGA64.wav). Has this dialogue been restored?
Should I find something else, I will gladly share it :)

Offline Almateria

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
I am working hard to update the Italian translation of this mod (I made it time ago and it needs to be polished).
In the meantime, I remembered two another component that would be nice to restore:
- check 5HEAD04 and listen to 2HEAD01.wav. ToB heads speech was meant to be longer, but somehow their lines got cut. It would be nice to restore the full dialogue and audio.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/637-restored-tob-heads/

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/637-restored-tob-heads/

I think this is also in the Wheels of Prophecy mod.

Offline Aedan

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
Yes, but IMHO it is a component that should be present in this mod, since it is called Unfinished Business :)
Also, Kaeloree's mod has never been updated (the Weidu version it uses is old) and most likely it has no BG2EE compability.

As for the other banter I mentioned you (Cernd and Valygar talk about Suna Seni)?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:22:02 PM by Aedan »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 03:25:14 AM »
Mm, I'd rather not add completely new stuff to a beta release, but I'll consider it for a future version.  I'm kinda worried it might break compatibility with Wheels of Prophecy though.

I'm not too familiar with how banters work (I'm learning this on the fly as I mod), but I don't think that banter has been restored.  I'll look into it further.

Offline Aedan

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »
Mm, I'd rather not add completely new stuff to a beta release, but I'll consider it for a future version.  I'm kinda worried it might break compatibility with Wheels of Prophecy though.

Nice! I hope you will implement it in the future. To avoid incompatibility with Wheels of Prophecy, suffice to add a check during the installation - if that mod has already been added, Weidu will skip this component :)

Perhaps someone will give you a hint to restore that banter between Valygar and Cernd.

Anyway, I found something else today! It seems that the banter between Imoen and Jaheira after Khalid's death was meant to have other lines. At present, that banter ends with Jaheira saying "Be quiet, child! No more!". Digging the dialog.tlk file, the dialogue should continue with these lines:

Imoen: I am not a child! I'm as old as <CHARNAME>, and I've... I've seen. I can see...
Jaheira: You've seen some horrible things best forgotten. We all have, in our day. This will pass when we... avenge the fallen and... bury this son of a bitch.
Imoen: I see now... in my head... cut, "yes, I see...
Jaheira: Imoen! Enough! Let's go!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:21:46 PM by Aedan »

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
For the record, I'm a bit uncomfortable with this component including my name as I've really not done much. The hard part of these restorations was finding them in the first place, which was done by Calawen, a user on the Beamdog forums.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
For the record, I'm a bit uncomfortable with this component including my name as I've really not done much. The hard part of these restorations was finding them in the first place, which was done by Calawen, a user on the Beamdog forums.

Noted.  I was thinking of integrating it with the existing Restored Minor Dialogs component anyway.  I'll be sure to give Calawen proper credit once I get around to that.

Nice! I hope you will implement it in the future. To avoid incompatibility with Wheels of Prophecy, suffice to add a check during the installation - if that mod has already been added, Weidu will skip this component :)

That only works if UB is installed after Wheels, which is not the recommended order.  And in general, I don't feel good by doing something that another mod already covers quite adequately.  Not like UB has the monopoly on restoring things: Arestorations, Oversight, Wheels and a couple of others all do restorations of their own.  Even Fixpack does plenty of things that could technically be seen as restorations.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: