Author Topic: Restoring a BG1 projectile in BG2?  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
Restoring a BG1 projectile in BG2?
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:02:45 AM »
For my own personal little project, I'm looking for a way to restore in BG2/BGT/Tutu the single-target "line of fire/ice" effects that Aganazzer's Scorcher and Wand of Frost had in BG1.  Now, changing the projectile number of a spell/item is easy enough (already do that for my non-bouncing lightning bolts modification), but the projectiles themselves have changed in BG2 and especially the "line of ice" effect does not look like ice at all.

I'm completely in the dark on editing projectiles and couldn't find any tutorial on that, can someone give me a hand on achieving this modification?  It's been on my wish list forever. :-)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Restoring a BG1 projectile in BG2?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:27:16 AM »
I am not sure it is possible. The original effects for Agannazar's Scorcher/Wand of Frost are still there in BG:EE, but projectile 191 does not refer to them anymore. Maybe it can be done by recreating it as a new PRO.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
I am not sure it is possible. The original effects for Agannazar's Scorcher/Wand of Frost are still there in BG:EE, but projectile 191 does not refer to them anymore. Maybe it can be done by recreating it as a new PRO.

That is pretty much the idea, yes, but I'm going to need some help in pulling it off.  I never meddled with .pro files before.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »
In BG2 the scorcher ice graphics was red (and hardcoded), so in bg2, i doubt you can restore it.
When IWD:EE came out, we made scorcher type projectiles moddable, and also we fixed the color for scorcher ice.

The scorcher projectile uses some unique flags, and theoretically it is possible to make distinction between the end point (target) and those who caught in mid fire.
You can add 1024 or 2048 to the saving throw field, to target them. (See IWDEE's SPWI217).

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:10:40 AM »
Thank you for your reply, Avenger.  What I actually want to do is create a new projectile that looks and acts like the BG1 version (stream of fire/ice, single target), and not necessarily meddle with the existing ones.  I just have no experience modifying .pro files at all and was looking for a little help getting started.

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
You can have a spell without a projectile apply the effects/damage and then use opcode 146 to cast a dummy spell without any effects that use the projectile.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
Oh, it's not the spell effects I'm struggling with, I'm pretty sure I can handle that.  It's how to make the projectile that has me stumped.  I suspect I'd have to retrieve the BAM files for the old effect from BG1 and cast those into a custom projectile, but I have do idea how to go at it.

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
You do not need to make a new projectile; simply change all items/spells that use the scorcher projectile to 1-None and then have them always cast a dummy .spl with no effects that uses the scorcher projectile.

Otherwise it is impossible to create a scorcher projectile which affects one target pre-EE. For EE games, you will have to set a series of flags (via patching) for all effects in those extended headers that use the scorcher projectile, as Avenger_teambg has mentioned.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
I see what you mean, but that would just restore the single-target behavior.  I also want it to look like it did in BG1.  The BG2 projectile looks quite different, especially for the ice version which doesn't look like ice at all.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: