Author Topic: Please update download system for all PPG mods  (Read 11294 times)

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
Please update download system for all PPG mods
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:50:10 AM »
Since there isn't any section at this board that is called "Forum,Site Feedback" I create this topic here.

This is quote from this thread: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29333.new.html#new
Hi Angel,
the download links for BWS stops working. I saw that you start to use git but you use private tracker. It would be really nice if you could switch to github.com so BWS could use constant "master" branch download link as we do it for other mods.
The most recent update (v7) was put up on PPG by Kulyok.  The beta updates were only for testing.

I fear in recent times, this is not enough. For the past 5 years , BWS was nothing but complete because of how often mods was updated,renamed and have new links. So instead of spending time for fixing bugs, adding new mods or developing new features, dabus was forced to constantly updating links for mods. And that was one of the reason for him to quit supporting BWS. This must be changed.

I'm asking the site admins to change download system for all PPG mods. The new system should be able to provide constant download links that:
- do not depend on the filename (http://mods.pocketplane.net/DEFJAM_v7.zip)
- do not depend on the file version if you enable SEO: mods.pocketplane.net/<modname>v7 -> mods.pocketplane.net/<modname>v7_1/
- will not change when uploading/updated the same file

It is the year 2015 and changes are needed. Also the whole site look old and like abandoned: are you sure that you want to leave such impression to the newcomers? There are plenty of frontend which are far, far better than this outdated mambo. You can also update forum software to something decent like IPB or vB and move all mods to the "Download" module.

I don't expect that such changes would be done immediate but something must be done definitely. I hope that I will revive any kind of (positive) answer.
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Please update download system for all PPG mods
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:31 AM »
Hi! I've read your post a few times, but I'm not sure I understand fully what you are suggesting. Are you making a proposal for all modding sites to get rid of version numbers, so BWS automated download system would be downloading each mod from the same place? Are you suggesting this for sites like SHS and G3, or for PPG only, and if PPG only, then why don't G3 mods need the change? Wouldn't it confuse the users? Or are you suggesting something else?

Personally, as I said, I did not fully understand your suggestion, but I feel you're suggesting some major changes, which probably merits a tactful and diplomatic discussion at the very least.

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:02:17 AM »
Or are you suggesting something else?
Yes
Are you making a proposal for all modding sites to get rid of version numbers
Ofcourse not from mod archive file names. But from the names of the download links.
Are you suggesting this for sites like SHS and G3, or for PPG only
Only for PPG
and if PPG only, then why don't G3 mods need the change?
Because G3/SHS has donload links that meets BWS requirements, examples

http://www.shsforums.net/files/download/1113-polish-language-localization-for-bg2ee/ - constant download link with SEO won't change in the future
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/546-the-big-picture-v181/ - even if the download link have "v181" in name, the SEO function will make old link point to new version, like in the case of http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/546-the-big-picture-v180/ <- this link is redirected to v181
G3
http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=706
constant download link, the number won't change if there will be update to the Divine Remix.

PPG:
http://mods.pocketplane.net/DEFJAM_v7.zip < for every new version, there will be new download link and BWS will stop working. This is what I want to solve once and for all.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:03:56 AM by AL|EN »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
I think I understand, thank you. I naturally can't help, myself, but I've written to jcompton, asking him to check out this topic.

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
Thnaks.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
I understand what you're asking for, but I'm not sure there's a good, automated way to do it at present. I could set up a bunch of redirects but then that just puts the manual management burden on me rather than on you.

Although I get your point about the PPG front-end (which will turn 11 years old in a few days, yay us), it's not a snap-your-fingers-and-it's-done process.

That said, if there's someone out there who is interested in presenting a tangible plan for more-or-less smoothly moving us from our rather rickety old Joomla install into something new that (among other things) would support your needs, I'd be happy to discuss it.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:59:44 PM »
Hi, thanks for reply. If you don't have time and no one will be willing to convert main site, you can still do it with reasonable amount of work:
just put all downloads to the "Download" module of this forum software, like www.baldursgatemods.com do:

Example ,(download link: baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=184 )
It is still worth the effort as it provides proper links.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:01:15 PM by AL|EN »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Yeah, I know that CoM/TBG/whatever uses SMF as their front-end portal. But I'd still have to go through and change all of the individual mod pages in order to point to such an SMF-powered download page, so if we're going to do that, maybe we can do something better.

Anyway, we know about it now, I'll see what can be done.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »
Personally I didn't welcome the changes made to the G3 website (same thing, although less prominent, with SHS).

I liked how it was a few years ago way better, practically in every sense. I like PPG the way it is now. It's functional and comfortable. Going for a more "modern" look results often in a less intuitive, overly complex and more "noisy" kind of board, not to mention the slew of bugs and issues that punctually surface when such changes are enforced.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
Salk: Unfortunately, the old forum look doesn't come with automated download links. And, believe me, updating these links if mods get updated is a real PITA, takes a lot of time, drains time and energy every one of us would rather spend modding or improving mod compatibility etc., not just edit new address into the BWS / link list - new mod version again: edit new address into the BWS / link list - new mod version again: edit new address into the BWS / link list...

I tried to keep Kerzenburgforum's link list up-to-date. It almost killed my motivation for BG modding, so I don't do it any more. So, I'd rather take the new forum look over what the BWS maintainer have to do, currently.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:41:50 AM »
Unfortunately I don't know all that much about content management systems, but I am a professional Unix/Linux systems administrator with 15 years of experience.  If there is any way I can help with the site, please don't hesitate to ask me.

As for what started this thing, when I started to work on D0tweaks I didn't know yet how to get the beta upload to PPG, so I provided a temporary place on my own personal site.  They were really only meant for beta testing and I never expected anyone to pick them up for use on a permanent download list.  I should perhaps have made that clearer.  I will now provide my work to Kulyok for uploading when I work on PPG mods, like I did with the two beta code updates to UB.

(By the way, I also intend to take a look at the BG1UB code when my available time allows me to.  I might also pick up Virtue, but I don't know yet.  That one is pretty complex and I don't use it myself.)

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:01:48 AM »
Angel,

we at PPG all (I believe I can speak for everyone) are really glad you came on board and helped modernize the code of Ding0's mods. BG1 UB is actually maintained already by AstroBryGuy but Virtue (which is an exceptional modification, way way understimated by players, in my opinion) would sorely need to be updated and extended to BG1 for BGT compatibility.

It's a very complex work, like you said. What I can help you with is trying and identify those situations worth being included as Virtue changes since I know TotSC decently well. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one... :)

Jastey,

absolutely. Functionality over look of course. I just didn't know that to make the download links be working fine again a new look was required.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:02:43 AM by Salk »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 06:18:01 AM »
Speaking of Functionality:
- Private Messages system is absolutely terrible. I haven't seen anything worse since phpbb2 :/
- I have problems with using various font sizes/links/images html tags inside editor

(which is an exceptional modification, way way understimated by players, in my opinion)

I've played Virtue back then when BG2 comes out and I love it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:03:37 AM by AL|EN »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
Hi jcompton, Angel any news?

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
I guess nothing will change for the nearest future. If yo care, take look ab SMF 'amayzing" reply editor: http://i.imgur.com/RKGdlyA.png

Offline agb1

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:45 AM »
I understand what you're asking for, but I'm not sure there's a good, automated way to do it at present. I could set up a bunch of redirects but then that just puts the manual management burden on me rather than on you.

Although I get your point about the PPG front-end (which will turn 11 years old in a few days, yay us), it's not a snap-your-fingers-and-it's-done process.

That said, if there's someone out there who is interested in presenting a tangible plan for more-or-less smoothly moving us from our rather rickety old Joomla install into something new that (among other things) would support your needs, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Here is a suggestion:  move PPG mods to GitHub, as was already done with BG1UB.  GitHub has a "release" process so you can designate a certain commit as a tagged release, and you can optionally designate a release as a "pre-release" or not.

We have a PHP script hosted at this URL:  http://lynxlynx.info/ie/modhub.php?GITHUBACCOUNT/REPOSITORYNAME

This URL is a stable URL that always redirects to the latest "release" (ignoring "pre-release" versions) on GitHub.

For example, BWS is now using http://lynxlynx.info/ie/modhub.php?AstroBryGuy/bg1ub for BG1UB.

G3 is apparently moving to the GitHub model now too.  It would be very helpful if PPG mod authors could do the same, especially for mods that are still under development, e.g. Kulyok please consider this for Reunion and let us know if you need any help figuring out how to set up a GitHub repository for it.

Thanks and happy new year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:52:56 AM by agb1 »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »
OMFG ! After years of struggling with this forum software PM system, i discover by accident ... an option to make it sane and able to use!
(http://image.prntscr.com/image/1ba6e272718444fd95727b7e5e319772.png)
I have no idea why the option even exist and why is isn't enabled as default. Dear admins, please make it default for every new account!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:07:00 PM by AL|EN »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Alright, I got myself an account at GitHub.  My meddlings with D0Tweak are here: https://github.com/AngelGryph/D0Tweak

Please note, I do not consider myself the owner of this mod, it remains SimDing0's.  I'm happy to maintain it but if the owner, if they are still around, wants it back I will step down immediately.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: