Author Topic: Suggestions for new features?  (Read 18630 times)

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
Suggestions for new features?
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Do you guys consider suggestions for new components/features?  If you do, you are welcome to include this small restoration of THUNDER3.WAV.  I'm not positive it is used by the game as-is, but it wouldn't hurt to fix it any way.

Secondly, has anyone ever considered restoring TAVERN.MVE?  As far as I can tell, it seems to be unused in the vanilla ToSC game.  Personally, I think it's kinda cool, though.  I can provide WBM versions of the movie for the BGEE game if interested.  Edit:  I can also add audio to both the MVE and WBM versions from one of the "tavern" soundtracks from the game (if desired).

Sincerely,
Sam.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:17:44 AM by Sam. »
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Suggestions for new features?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
Suggestions are always welcome. :)

Where would THUNDER3.WAV be used? As was mentioned on SHS, these files are not used where it is raining. Of course, one could overwrite the current ones with THUNDER2-4.

I am guessing TAVERN.MVE was meant for the Elfsong Tavern. It would be easy to re-introduce to the game.

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
Restoring TAVERN.MVE for BG1/Tutu/BGT would be great, but I wouldn't add it to BGEE.  For BGEE, I think it would be best to leave it for a mod that restored all the original movies.  It would look out of place to add just TAVERN.MVE to BGEE since it doesn't fit BGEE's new movie style.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
I am guessing TAVERN.MVE was meant for the Elfsong Tavern. It would be easy to re-introduce to the game.
That was my thought as well.

Restoring TAVERN.MVE for BG1/Tutu/BGT would be great, but I wouldn't add it to BGEE.  [...]  It would look out of place to add just TAVERN.MVE to BGEE since it doesn't fit BGEE's new movie style.
Agreed about BGEE.

For BGEE, I think it would be best to leave it for a mod that restored all the original movies.
I'll plan on adding it to BG: EE Classic Movies then :) .

Where would THUNDER3.WAV be used? As was mentioned on SHS, these files are not used where it is raining. Of course, one could overwrite the current ones with THUNDER2-4.
I guess the other option would be to add it on a delay to something like the Call Lightning spells.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:28 PM »
Do you guys consider suggestions for new components/features?  If you do, you are welcome to include this small restoration of THUNDER3.WAV.  I'm not positive it is used by the game as-is, but it wouldn't hurt to fix it any way.

Secondly, has anyone ever considered restoring TAVERN.MVE?  As far as I can tell, it seems to be unused in the vanilla ToSC game.  Personally, I think it's kinda cool, though.  I can provide WBM versions of the movie for the BGEE game if interested.  Edit:  I can also add audio to both the MVE and WBM versions from one of the "tavern" soundtracks from the game (if desired).

Sincerely,
Sam.

Since the other movies have sound, I think that would be good for a "Restored TAVERN.MVE".  It's actually kinda eerie silent... :wink:

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
First render of TAVERN with audio.  Suggestions welcome  :) .

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »
I think the theme fits, but could you make one with TDAY1.MUS instead? It is the same song, but played with strings instead of a guitar.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
I think the theme fits, but could you make one with TDAY1.MUS instead? It is the same song, but played with strings instead of a guitar.
No problem, try this one.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
Cool. I think this song fits the movie better. :)

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
It's rather amazing how well it fits, even the sound of a fire right as the camera "walks" past the fireplace.  Was this audio track actually made for this video, but then never finished?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
The fire sound effect was added by Sam. The song is used in a number of areas, including BG I believe.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »
I think it'd be a very nice restoration!

It'd be great if there might be custom music in the style of the original game's soundtrack but even like this Scratch that  - the second version is already good enough! I'd love to see this brought back by BG1 UB!

Good suggestion, Sam.!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:11:32 AM by Salk »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
I'm definitely mixing in the sound myself :) .  The video comes from TAVERN.MVE (obviously), then I added TDAY1A.WAV as the major theme.  If you listen closely, you'll also hear AMB_M09B.WAV (tavern patron sounds) in the background that gets louder as you approach and go through the doorway from the kitchen into the tavern proper.  On top of that is AMB_E14A.WAV which is the sound of the fireplace/stove that you pass by.  I intentionally didn't make the patron sounds very loud since the tavern is deserted in the video and it didn't feel right to make it sound packed with people, but after adding the fireplace ambient you almost can't hear it at all.  Should I turn it up a little?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
First render of TAVERN with audio.  Suggestions welcome  :) .
_Very_ nice. And you chose my favorite area music, too! I am impressed.
I think the background tavern chatter is loud enough. I wouldn't make it any louder. EDIT: I prefer the first version.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:02:49 PM by jastey »

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
I actually prefer the music on the first render, but it's not a strong preference.  The second version is great too.  For the first, I can imagine Volo in the corner playing the tune on his lute with a tankard of ale by his side.  :)

I'd be happy to add it to the v14 beta.  The coding would be simple, just add to the ElfSong's BCS file:

Code: [Select]
IF
Global("UBEnteredElfSong","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
StartMovie("UBTAVERN")
SetGlobal("UBEnteredElfSong","GLOBAL",1)
END

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »
Now that you make me notice it... It's actually a little weird to hear any ambient effect (including the fireplace, since there is no fire) in a completely deserted tavern.

Perhaps the best solution is also the easiest one: only music or keep the ambient sound extremely low just for suggestion.

And in that case, I am with those who prefer the first version...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:17:04 AM by Salk »

Offline White Agnus

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
Hmm, Jarls BGT Adventure Pack already restores the Elfsong Tavern Movie for BGT.

I've also done a recode some times ago for BG:EE :D

http://www.whiteagnus.de/downloads/tavern_render.webm

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:01:09 AM »
Interesting.

The modification is a bit obscure though and I doubt it's very popular outside the German borders. The mod has never been traified to English since lastest version was out 2 and half years ago now. There is not even an English ReadMe available.

It's sad, since a quick look at the .tp2 makes me think there is lots of stuff that might be BG1 UB material, just like the movie restoration.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:03:03 AM by Salk »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
It is, and Jarl put great effort into restoring things (but also expanding others). There is an English version if you install the BWP English textpack, I think, but I have no idea about the quality of the translation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:35:25 PM by jastey »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 01:54:02 AM »
Well jastey... you're german, right? :) Anything Jarl might kindly see fit to "donate" to BG1 UB?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
Oh, he made his mod compatible with bg1ub. It's more a question of putting effort into it to give it a proper English version. I am currently too occupied to add this to my list, but if you remind me in a week, I'll send him a PM.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
Oh I am sorry if I sounded like I wanted *you* to do the job, jastey. It was not at all what  meant... I meant... Since you are german you can understand easily if the text additions/changes might reasonably be significant for BG1 UB too... :)

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 03:19:42 AM »
Has anyone ever looked into restoring the "Wall of Fire" spell (SPWI409 and SPPR506) as noted in the IESDP and seen in the game resources as SPWI409.SPL - Wall of Fire?

Note:  Likely only feasible to restore in the EE and modeled after IWD:EE's Wall of Moonlight.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
Has anyone ever looked into restoring the "Wall of Fire" spell (SPWI409 and SPPR506) as noted in the IESDP and seen in the game resources as SPWI409.SPL - Wall of Fire?

Note:  Likely only feasible to restore in the EE and modeled after IWD:EE's Wall of Moonlight.

I had a look at it when I began working of FotD, but there were no firewall BAMs to be found, and without those there is really nothing to restore. Someone would need to make these.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: