Author Topic: Need help with weidu on mac/installing BGT  (Read 5677 times)

Hereward

Need help with weidu on mac/installing BGT
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
Hello, I have run into several problems trying to install BGT on mac. I am afraid that my understanding of code is very deficient.

I have BG1 EE, and BG2 complete (non-ee). Don't know if this is a problem.

They have been installed separately, and I do not have a windows partition (would highly prefer not to make one).

My main source for instructions on how to install BGT on the mac have revolved around this page http://www.weidu.org/Mac.html.

On this page, it lists two solutions. I will paste both and describe my problems with each.

" Copying Option.

Copy weidu-mac over Setup-Foo.exe (where Foo is something like Solaufein or Tactics or whatever is appropriate for the mod you are installing).
    Run Setup-Foo.exe (you may have to type ./Setup-Foo.exe to do so) "

If I try this option, the weidu terminal window tells me that I am not installing in a valid game directory. I have tried opening the files in the directories contents/resources/ and contents/resources/drive-c/GOG games/Baldur's Gate 2.

" Hand-Installation Option.

Run weidu-mac Setup-Foo.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk "

I am afraid I do not know exactly what this means. I am not very familiar with the correct commands to type in the standard mac terminal or the weidu terminal. If it means that I should run a mac weidu file in the above directories and then try to run setup-bgt.tp2 within the weidu terminal window, I get the result

sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
logout

This is when I type 'weidu setup-bgt.tp2' in the weidu terminal. If I try to identify the precise address of the file, e.g. /Applications/Baldur's Gate 2/Baldur's Gate 2.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/GOG Games/Baldur's Gate 2, the terminal says there is no such address - it seems to have a problem with locating a file within a .app file - the 'wrong address' feedback cuts off the address at /Applications/Baldur's Gate 2/Baldur's Gate 2.app.

Sorry for what must be to many a newbie question on what must be an awkward subject, but I have tried my hardest to try to solve the problem.

Offline CrevsDaak

• big kid lil' orc
  • Planewalker
  • duuuh graah
Re: Need help with weidu on mac/installing BGT
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
First, you need the original BG1 (with TotSC) to work with BGT. I'm not sure how it'll handle BG:EE since the tiles are packed in a very different way (and that's the current problem for EET).

Second, that guide for installing mods on Mac is totally outdated... First, open Terminal and cd /to/the/directory/with/the/chitin.key, and place WeiDU in that directory (you can drop the directory after you've typed cd instead of typing it), and then type ./weidu --log setup-MODNAME MODNAME/MODNAME.tp2.

Otherwise, you could copy weinstall and weidu to /usr/bin (to get there with Finder you have to go to / and type Cmd+Shift+G and the type in ``usr'' in the tet field) and simply call weinstall MODNAME in the directory with the chitin.key from Terminal.

Also, you could follow this guide.

BTW, installing BGT with Mac OSX WeiDU might not work, last time I tried it wanted to run batch files and other stuff (I might be wrong tho).

Hereward

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Thanks alot for helping. Following your directions, terminal tells me again that there is 'no such directory or file' when I point it at the main Baldur's gate game directory. I think this is because it is contained within an .app file.

However, I have got around this problem with the mac auto-installer that is linked on the instruction page you linked to. I have run into a new problem with that that you may be able to help with; the auto-installer detects and begins the installation process fine, but when it starts to try to install the main BGT files it comes up with this error message:

"Required binaries missing for your architecture. Please put tis2bg2, tisunpack and mosunpack into your system path and install again with system-path argument."

I know that tisunpack and mosunpack are files that are provided with weidu, but I don't see tis2bg2 anywhere in the mac weidu zip. I searched for tis2bg2 on the internets, put a version into the directory with chitin.key, and it still didn't work - I'm worried that the tis2bg2 file I downloaded isn't file tagged correctly (my OS classes it as a document).

I assume that "your system path" means the folder with chitin.key in it?

Thanks again

Hereward

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:13:50 AM »
Sorry, don't worry about this technical issue anymore. I have just discovered that BGT requires a clean untouched install of BG1, which I don't have.

I have played through BG1 and just wanted to have my secondary character data from that save imported into BG2. I can obviously import my main character into BG2 without a problem, but the secondary characters (imoen etc) are not imported. I assumed BGT was the best way to import this data - apparently not, is there another way?

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
I have played through BG1 and just wanted to have my secondary character data from that save imported into BG2. I can obviously import my main character into BG2 without a problem, but the secondary characters (imoen etc) are not imported. I assumed BGT was the best way to import this data - apparently not, is there another way?
Well, that depends... are you willing to "cheat" to get it ?
You can use the Shadowkeeper program to edit the BG2's save game and thus gain everything you ever wanted ... at least on a PC side.
The Near Infinity can do it too... and on Mac... go here to download it, that is the second link the Google throws at you, while the first one is the ancient 2004 version.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:55:05 AM by The Imp »

Offline CrevsDaak

• big kid lil' orc
  • Planewalker
  • duuuh graah
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
Get tis2bg2 from here (I compiled it on OSX 10.7.5 so it should work), drop it on bgt/install/osx/x86 alongside mosunpack and tisunpack.

I'd recommend re-installing BG1 and going with BGT (you'll need to start a new game in BGT to export it to BG2 though), but if you don't want to play BG1 again export your main character and done (also doing as the Imp says is a very good idea if you don't mind cheating on a Single Player game).

Hereward

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:11:43 AM »
Thanks again guys - don't think I have the stamina to play through BG1 again, the writing and lack of meaningful story choices annoys me! I enjoyed the combat and RPG elements though.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: