Author Topic: Shilo Chen's Ogre Magi Location  (Read 19626 times)

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
Shilo Chen's Ogre Magi Location
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
Does anyone know the reason the Ogre Magi for Shilo Chen's quest are placed on the Bandit Camp map (AR1900)?  Shilo says they are in the south west corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth.  Given the location of the Bandit Camp on the World Map, I'd figure that's the north end of the wood, not the south.  I would have assumed they would be placed in Larswood, given Shilo's dialog (unless he's a ranger who doesn't know north from south  ;) ).

I searched through the forum posts and saw some suggestions for Larswood, but I couldn't find a post giving the reason for using the Bandit Camp.  Was there just no suitable location in Larswood or Peldvale?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Shilo Chen's Ogre Magi Location
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:50 AM »
(I don't know.)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »
I looked at Faerun maps and I think Larswood is better suited. At the Map of the Sword Coast it looks more like the south-west corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth should be about the height of Beregost, so Larswood seems fine.

I'd say go for it (and prepare for players reporting that the Ogre Magi for Chen doesn't spawn where they were used to it. :) )

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm thinking of placing them around the rock with the blood-stain in the lower left corner of the Larswood map.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2900.htm

I could also add a couple animal corpses since Shilo Chen said they were killing wildlife.

my very bad english

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
Maybe it would't be a bad idea to make BG1 UB compatible with NToSC. I have it installed (no weidu version) on my current vanilla playtrough and this way I would probably end up with two Shilo Chens, Eddies and Quoningar's. Not that I'm complaining, don't know of amount of work required and I probably should have just skipped those components, but hey, the more the merrier.  ;)

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:26:37 AM »
BG1UB already blocks installation of the Shilo Chen component if NToSC is installed.

Code: [Select]
BEGIN @18
FORBID_FILE ~override/NTSHILOC.CRE~ @90003
FORBID_FILE ~data/NTotSC1.bif~ @90003

If NToSC also has Quoningar and Edie components, send me the names of files BG1UB can check for, like the CREs, and I can add FORBID_FILE checks to block to those components.

my very bad english

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »
Hm, Sword Coast Keeper shows two Shilo Chens, original from NToSC near entrance to Baldur's Gate (file SHILOC) and UB SC (file UBSHILO) who is in the Elfsong tavern if memory serves me right. Luckily dwarf cleric isn't in NToSC and Edie (file EDIE) has UBEdie dialog and is overwritten ( in effect solving itself it seems).

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
You can't block installation on SHILOC.CRE because it is present in a default install. If there is a unique file that the non-WeiDU NToSC adds to the game, I can use that for a FORBID_FILE check. The only NToSC version I can find online is the BGT version that installs via WeiDU.

my very bad english

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
Here is the link: http://canada.iegmc.net/ntotsc/
Hope it helps.

my very bad english

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »
Oh, and Ogre mage of NToSC Shilo Chen is located in Peldvale, somewhere on the central north edge of the map, he is invisible too.

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:40 PM »
Ugh, it's a Windows .exe blob that my usual tools can't extract the files from. If you can identify a unique file the mod installs, I can add a block for the Shilo Chen component. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I have time to create a fresh Wineskin BG1 install to dump this blob on. No promises on when that will happen.

my very bad english

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
Sorry, tried it but I can't. InfExp and Sword Coast Keeper doesn't help much in this case, searched through override of game and of backup of NTotSC ( by the way mod is on polish which doesn't help either), there is no main mod file ( like other weidu mods) just backup and uninstall files, I can't open NTotSC v. 2.01 exe ( extractor of mod ) and it refuses to extract itself anywhere but in Baldur's Gate game directory ( which I can't do or I'll mess things badly). I will have to live with the cruel fact that Shilo Chens are the twins.

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
So, NTotSC (non-WeiDU) does create it's own backup directory. Maybe I can use that to detect it.

Code: [Select]
FORBID_FILE ~backup_NTotSC/dialog.tlk~

my very bad english

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
And patch too. Good hunting.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: