Author Topic: Organization of tra-files and numbering  (Read 4163 times)

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
Organization of tra-files and numbering
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
MichaelH, what you encounters is if the strings from the setup.tra are being taken instead of the correct .d/.tra ones. This happens if the installer cannot find the correct ones, so something went wrong in your install. Please post the content of the Setup-bg1ub.DEBUG.
Wouldn't the whole thing be much easier if there were just two .tra file per mod ? One for the setup strings and the other for all the dialog lines... anyways set so that the @x'es do not have the same numbers references, but progressive ones.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Organization of tra-files and numbering
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
The Imp: Not really, if you want to translate the mod, for example, it does help to know which .d-file you are in, without having to search for it through the mod package.. But I do agree that giving the setup unique numbers would minimize faulty installs were setup strings were used unnoticed.

-But it is an idle discussion for a mod that's basically finished, content-wise.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »
if you want to translate the mod, for example, it does help to know which .d-file you are in, 
But you can index the .d files to have separated @ counts, start the setup with @1, the .d files with @100(or @1000 if it's extremely long), next @200 etc.
The only reason why the mods have .d files with @1 is that they were auto tra-fied with weidu.exe, and that's a bad for ... everyone. Or the culture that it proceeded with, not manual .tra-fying.

-But it is an idle discussion for a mod that's basically finished, content-wise.
Yep, but the existing mods are from where things might get checked form for help and adapted. The ChickenTM was not before The EggTM... nor much the other way around either. Besides, why would there be 14 versions if the content was basically finished ? :D Näh, don't answer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:41:33 AM by The Imp »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
Split this into a new thread. Now we can discuss along. ;)

-Using weidu for traify is no problem, as long as you use: weidu --traify bb.d --traify-old-tra aa-new.tra --out bb-new :) (Taken from cmorgan's example somewhere in Aran Whitehand)

But I would never try to use different ranges of numbers for different .d-files, just because I don't know how far some of them go. I know that using 10000, 20000, etc. would probably be enough space, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.
I think it is sufficient to use very different and high numbers in the setup.tra to achieve what you have in mind?

-And with "basically finished" I meant "content wise" - but I guess you know that. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: