Author Topic: G3 forums stopped working?  (Read 34479 times)

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
Re: G3 forums stopped working?
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »
Well, they are both down again, with an SQL Error. Consider me shocked.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:56 AM »
This is really getting bad...
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
For anyone who's testing the new SCS release candidate, there's a thread at the Beamdog forums you can use to give feedback.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2018, 11:12:36 PM »
How is it possible that the SHS/G3 servers are regularly down every year for several days?

Here at Pocketplane I don't remember a single day of interrupted service.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:13:55 PM by Salk »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2018, 06:11:45 AM »
How is it possible that the SHS/G3 servers are regularly down every year for several days?

I suspect the server is physically located at Liam or Conrad's house, and any time they lose power or internet the forums go down.  Also, based on the number of reported hard drive failures, it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to use incompatible hardware together (and/or the cheapest off-brand available on the internet).  I don't mean any of that as an insult and I get that maintaining these forums year after year is expensive for an individual, but these are my suspicions nevertheless.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2018, 07:18:31 AM »
I suspect the server is physically located at Liam or Conrad's house, and any time they lose power or internet the forums go down.  Also, based on the number of reported hard drive failures, it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to use incompatible hardware together (and/or the cheapest off-brand available on the internet).  I don't mean any of that as an insult and I get that maintaining these forums year after year is expensive for an individual, but these are my suspicions nevertheless.

Hi Sam! :)

Oh I had no idea the server could be privately maintained. I hope I was not offensive. I thought we were dealing with some company that couldn't deliver a decent and reliable service.

Cheers!

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
Salk, my man! (er, or, woman!) How the hell ya been?!!

I hope I was not offensive.
Could you ever be offensive?  :D I think it that was for Sam to put out there.

I had no idea the server could be privately maintained. I hope I was not offensive. I thought we were dealing with some company that couldn't deliver a decent and reliable

I'm waiting for the two sites to come back online, I'm going to open a discussion suggesting it's time migrating the sites to a private company. And, that the Community show some love - translated: money - towards making this happen & maintaining them.

I'll post the link here when done.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2018, 01:22:03 AM »
This is because either your memory fails at you, or you hadn't been here that often, yes you were here before me, and so we know.... Cause I do remember days that the PPG has been offline.
Also the G3 is not technically offline, see, it's just that the forum database is corrupted, and so you can't access the forums of G3 or the SHS at all.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2018, 01:57:15 AM »
Salk, my man! (er, or, woman!) How the hell ya been?!!

Hey there! Your man, definitely.

I'm waiting for the two sites to come back online, I'm going to open a discussion suggesting it's time migrating the sites to a private company. And, that the Community show some love - translated: money - towards making this happen & maintaining them.

I'll post the link here when done.

Sounds good to me.

I contributed a little in the past and I am ready to do it again.

Cheers!

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2018, 01:59:09 AM »
This is because either your memory fails at you, or you hadn't been here that often, yes you were here before me, and so we know.... Cause I do remember days that the PPG has been offline.
Also the G3 is not technically offline, see, it's just that the forum database is corrupted, and so you can't access the forums of G3 or the SHS at all.

Well, I seem to recall announced offline periods due to server maintenance but prolonged unscheduled interruptions of service? Hm... My memory does fail me many times so it is very possible I simply don't remember.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »
Jarno! Greetings brother!

Still as Asperger as ever! :D

Some things never change. :-yin

PPG doesn't have annual outages. G3/SHS's have occurred every year for...how many? Almost on a schedule, just around this time.

And if we can't access the forums, then that's no fun at all! :P :'(
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »
Agreed, Azazello.

And it seems the period is getting longer and longer... Must have been over a week now. Must investigate! :)

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2018, 04:25:58 AM »
I've let Kaeloree know in case he wasn't aware of the issue - unfortunately that's all I could do. If anyone has SConrad contacts (outside of SHS obviously) you are welcome to ping him as well :)

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
SConrad has already been contacted.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »
I don't suppose they gave an explanation or ETA of when it will be back online?

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2018, 07:45:07 AM »
Well, SHSforums are online. Don't know about the G3, cause my antivirus still keeps me out, on this computer.

Offline Gwendolyne_FP

• Planewalker
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2018, 08:38:02 AM »
G3 is also up. For the moment...

Offline theacefes

• XTREME METAL ROCKER PUNK CHICK WITH ULTRA SURFBOARD
  • Planewalker
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2018, 04:06:33 AM »
We're coming back up soon - we are actually moving to a new host. Once it's back up there is a thread in Announcements that is pretty explanatory as to why the sites both went down. We'll also have some other updates to share.

As a general note, you can always poke us in the G3 Discord if you can't reach us on the forums. https://discord.gg/yTzjMTb <- this link should be good for a while.
Ace

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
PPG doesn't have annual outages. G3/SHS's have occurred every year for...how many? Almost on a schedule, just around this time.
Yeah, the PPG site just has memory usage problems. That can vary from day to day.
Now, as the G3 and SHSforums have again continued as separate entities, this both offline problem should be over.. but there's no BBC coding off mode in the new site, which will lead to bad messaging habbits, just like any change.

Things change, but the 'bad' is never, over.

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:34 AM »
Been pretty quite here... glad to see this site still alive though. So much memories. Hope Jason and all other modders are doing well. I do miss good old days.