Author Topic: Assertion failure 1910 traced down to the quest pack!  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
Assertion failure 1910 traced down to the quest pack!
« on: November 16, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
I've been experiencing multiple assertion failure 1910 crashes to desktop in several areas (Planar Sphere, King Strohm's Tomb, Watcher's Keep and others), which I finally tracked down to the animation files d0salfir.vvc and d0salice.vvc added by the quest pack (and used in spells d0salfir.spl which is added onto certain creatures, like icsalfir.cre).

Both these files have the "translucent" and "blend" flags set, but on old (non-BG2EE) this apparently does not work; according to DLTC Editor Pro only one flag can be set and not both.  When checking the file, the editor warns that "Transparency+brightest flag causes assertion failure!", which indeed they do.  Disabling either flag in these files fixes the problem, I got best results with disabling "translucent" as disabling "blend" leaves a visible square box around the animation.

I'm apparently not the only one with this problem either:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57515-assertion-failure-1910/

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:56:21 PM by Angel »

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: Assertion failure 1910 traced down to the quest pack!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:53:29 AM »
I'm apparently not the only one with this problem either:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57515-assertion-failure-1910/
That looks like an unrelated issue. There are no salamanders in Strohm's tomb (and the OP does not mention any), nor does the guardian use the potentially problematic VVC file. There is nothing to suggest QP is involved.

That said, I can't reproduce any crashes, but the effects or "translucent" appears to be minor at best and the animation looks fine without it, so why not?

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:04 AM »
Mm, you're right, I guess I'll have to do more research on the assertion failure in King Strohm's tomb.  It seems to be triggered by the guardian's appearance as I bypassed it by letting that happen off screen.

All other instances of the failure were triggered by d0salfir/d0salice though, all these areas have creatures with this effect and I can reliably trigger the bug by spawning icsalfir with the console, which immediately crashes my game as soon as the flame shield comes up.  And well, I suppose there is a reason DLTCEP issues that warning...

Game version is BG2 complete from GoG which has all official patches included, and ToBex 26beta installed.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »
Okay, so it's a combination involving something GOG has done to their copy of the game. Possibly the DirectDraw stuff? But regardless, it can indeed be fixed without noticeable side-effects by removing the translucent flag.

I don't know when a new version can be uploaded, but I can put out a hotfix in the meantime.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:05:14 AM by Wisp »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
Alright, I was planning on doing a reinstall anyway after my current game finishes (in chapter 9 now), so I guess I can free up some time and play with ddrawfix then to see if that changes anything.  Not keen to do that while I have a huge pile of mods installed including BGT and SCS. :-)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: