Author Topic: Install woes  (Read 4852 times)

Offline coineineagh

• Planewalker
    • coineineagh's page
Install woes
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
I've installed IG2 before, but it was long ago. After switching to Vista, my laptop could no longer run the installers for either the Beta or Delta versions. But now I'm on W7, so I gave it a shot. the installers are opening, but I get errors and the install fails.

I'm confident that I did nothing wrong following steps, but correct me if I'm wrong. In fact, my upload of TNO's Delta on shsforums is the only known source where people can download the Delta, so this is quite embarrassing. Fortunately, the Delta has a DEBUG file. I'll quote the relevant passages:

Code: [Select]
Installing [IWG2 Patch]
Copying and patching 1 file ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [AR0001.ARE] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [IWG2 Patch], rolling back to previous state
[iwg2\IWG2-PATCH\Backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 0 files for [SETUP-IWG2PATCH.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [SETUP-IWG2PATCH.TP2] component 0.

and further down:
ERROR: Failure("resource [AR0001.ARE] not found for 'COPY'")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-IWG2PATCH.DEBUG to
Automatically Skipping [IWG2 Patch] because of error.
Using Language [Chinese]
[Chinese] has 1 top-level TRA files
[iwg2/IWG2-PATCH/TRA/Setup.tra] parsed
[iwg2/IWG2-PATCH/TRA/Setup.tra] has 35 translation strings

On a sidenote, if anyone knows how to change the Delta's language to English, it would make it more playable...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:17:36 AM by coineineagh »
clever remark pending

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
Re: Install woes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
Well the first file not being able to be located is a "clear" indicator that the was not fully successful or made with compatible version of game with the mod. Now there could be for several reasons, but the readme should tell you almost everything you need to know, with the exception that in Windows Vista and Win7, (8 and 8.1 too).  You need to not install the games to the default folders on the C drive, but to a custom folder that's outside the Program Files -folders. On 8 and 8.1 you'll need to install all the pre 2007 games you intent to modify to your Windows profile folder in,
the C:\Users\<username>\ sub-folders, as all the other folders are permission locked even under the administeration account, and you won't be able to start with that by default even if you try. ... for security reasons.

So back to Win7 and iwg2_delta1, I would install both the games to C:\Games\BGII - SoA and C:\Games\Icewind Dale II -folders, install the needed patches (including the Baldurdash patch)and then copy the BG2 files to the C:\Games\Icewind Dale II -folders, and then attempt the finish with the Install-IWG2.bat .
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:18:01 PM by The Imp »

Offline coineineagh

• Planewalker
    • coineineagh's page
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:51 AM »
I installed both on my D: drive.
"D:\GAMES\Bioware\Icewind Dale II"
"D:\GAMES\Bioware\BGII - Baldurdashed4IG2"

Should I try over on a C: location outside Program Files? Or wouldn't it matter?
I also have a separate install of a BG2 megamod in that Bioware folder, but it should be unrelated. Registry should show "BGII - Baldurdashed4IG2" as the ToB installation folder.
clever remark pending

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:51:26 AM »
Should I try over on a C: location outside Program Files? Or wouldn't it matter?
No. It wouldn't matter, That's a good directory(to my knowledge). So we have to look at the error to have been caused by something else. Did you have a virus protection program on ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:41:05 AM by The Imp »

Offline coineineagh

• Planewalker
    • coineineagh's page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
Turns out my BGII install was corrupted somehow. When I re-installed it from scratch, the beta worked fine again. I guess storing the whole kit and kaboodle on an external harddisk for future use doesn't work. The game folder was faulty, my bad. Thanks for the help, The Imp!

I managed to save a game in Irenicus' Dungeon, so I'm sure I can handle it from here.
clever remark pending

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 04:19:38 AM »
Turns out my BGII install was corrupted somehow.
You did correct the install directories in the baldur.ini file before you made the Icewind Gate II install ? As it should be playable before the install is made. Why - Well duh.
You of course open the file with Notepad and the install path is the ones under the [Alias] -header... something like:
[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD2\;D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=D:\Pelit\BGII - SoA\CD5\
-but you probably knew all of this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:26:06 AM by The Imp »

Offline coineineagh

• Planewalker
    • coineineagh's page
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
oh, dammit. i thought about that possibility while i was outside, then forgot to check it when i got back.
well, it all works okay now.
clever remark pending

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
The lesson learned from IWG2 is just how limited IWD2 is!
As for improvements to IWG2, I never heard back from Nameless One.
GemRB is the way to go but nobody over there is all that interested in 3E gaming. I don't think they finished IWD2.

Offline coineineagh

• Planewalker
    • coineineagh's page
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:37 AM »
Hey Ishad! Glad to see you're still active.
I do what I can to help out in my free time. But besides being a guidewriter for multiple games, I'm still just a noob when it comes to code.
But I return to keep an eye out on forums that involve games I wrote guides for, to keep my guides up-to-date. Playtesting is a labour of love.

I just recently realized that the 65MAXHP.BCS which the author of Tactics for IWD2 (by Tal Rasha) sent me, disables the HoF bonuses for your party. He actually sent it to me because I complained about a forced alignment change at the end of the (admittedly optional) Iyachtu Xvim quest; dropping it in Override prevented the change from applying. I was in a debate about the relevance of my guide because I play heavily modded ID2, and the bonuses came up. I mentioned that I couldn't get the bonuses to apply to my party (though I do recall seeing them apply once, before I received 65MAXHP.BCS), and only now did I put 2 & 2 together.
clever remark pending

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:33:16 AM »
Let us know how your IWG2 experiences work out. It is not easy to translate many of the BG2 features into the more limited IWD2 engine, as you will see...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: