Author Topic: Progression report and class request  (Read 8984 times)

Offline egbert

• Planewalker
Progression report and class request
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »
 :) After playing Iwd  with your mode twice (1x Iwd_in_BG2_v8, 1 x IwD):
Your mod is really good in IwD and a must have in Iwd_in_BG2!

But playing as a sorcerer or dual-classed fighter2/mage mysef I missed cleric abilities although your Nella became a fighter2/druid.
So I missed your bard and joined with Kori (included in IwD_in_BG2), a female dwarf fighter/cleric.

Because the authors of IwD_in_BG2 went to IwD:EE (and abandoned it) I went back to IwD and re-created Kori as E'Kori.
She plays very well here also.

Class request: Please include a cleric (or fighter/cleric) in your pack!
(IMO in CPRGs using D&D Rules < 3 especially bards are a very weak (but most paladins and rangers would be more helpful as fighters, too.)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Progression report and class request
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
Hi! I understand that Nella can be immediately dual-classed as a cleric, or multi-classed as a cleric, correct? And Korin also can be a ranger/cleric.

Have you tried Nella as a dual-classed fighter/cleric, did it work for you?

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
Hi! I understand that Nella can be immediately dual-classed as a cleric, or multi-classed as a cleric, correct? And Korin also can be a ranger/cleric.
Yes, those are the options in the installer, but could you consider allowing Nella to be started as a Cleric ? You could throw in the Druid as an option too, not for me but for others, I think I asked this before... and you might have considered it then, but the mod was not updated after that because there was no other needs for it, so it stayed hanging in the air.

Offline egbert

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:49:56 AM »

Have you tried Nella as a dual-classed fighter/cleric, did it work for you?

Looking for efficiency only I would change Korin at once. But then I wouldn't install the mod at all!
IMO looking for long life (higher levels) you shouldn't choose bards, rangers or paladins. (at least in IwD and BG)

If you want roleplaying the dialogs forbid the possible alternatives.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:54:59 AM by egbert »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 06:25:36 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't understand: did you try dual-classing Nella as a cleric(it's possible as soon as level 2), and did it work for you? And if it didn't seem a good idea, then why? I'd really like to know this.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
@Kulyok, the original class is not mentioned in the Alternate class for x components, so it could be confusing that it's not established as an alternative, which leads to the logical conclusion that you can only use one of the alternatives and not the original. So a small alteration in the description to making sure to mention the original class in the components description would be good.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
I thought it was rather clear in the readme. I would be happy to add some lines for the next version, then.

For the time being, please be aware that Nella indeed can be dual-classed to a single-class cleric or druid, and it only takes about 3000 extra XP points.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
I thought it was rather clear in the readme. I would be happy to add some lines for the next version, then.

For the time being, please be aware that Nella indeed can be dual-classed to a single-class cleric or druid, and it only takes about 3000 extra XP points.
Well, technically it's not a single class cleric if you dual from a fighter... as then you can 't further dual to a mage that allows a kit to be placed on the char... :D Yep, a special kind of kit too. :P But I am willing to hope and wait until the drow orc ambushes us with Level 1 NPCs v2.0, don't you worry about that.

By the way, the pictures your NPC characters have, I think they are the BG2 smaller ones(38x60), and the Enhanced Edition games use the BG2's normal(110x170) ones as the small portrait... this leads the EE to not being able to show the HP counter at the top spot on the char like the in game normal char pictures:
http://oi61.tinypic.com/6fttkx.jpg
You probably just have to copy the other pictures... so the M's to be the S's in IWDEE.
Yep, I manually copied the files and renamed the -copies as the S'es and the save game I have now shows larger picts, after loading, the load screen stayed as was... and the HP counter is now up. The character screens large pictures are a bit blurry cause they use auto resizing from the M picture... but anyways, here's a proof of concept with MSPaint chopshop:
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2646k3n.jpg
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:17:01 PM by The Imp »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
I've forgotten about that! I'll ask how I can recognize EE.

Offline hook71

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »
IWD:EE uses new larger portrait sizes. I'm guessing these will become standard in the other EE games as well in the future.

Large - 420x660 (character creation and character record screens)
Medium - 169x266 (for the right sidebar of the game screen)

Read more here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36241/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits-in-iwdee

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »
Thank you! Alas, the function to recognize iwdee will only be available in the next weidu version - 237, so I'll integrate it then.

And small portraits are 110x170, right?

Offline AstroBryGuy

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
AFAIK, small is 54x84 in the EEs.  However, the EEs can use larger portraits and resize on the fly.

Offline hook71

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
AlexT (aVENGER) writes in the thread above: Note that the small portraits (the ones ending with the S suffix) are not used in IWD:EE.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
AlexT (aVENGER) writes in the thread above: Note that the small portraits (the ones ending with the S suffix) are not used in IWD:EE.
This is ... well if you make a NPC mod like Kulyok did, it doesn't matter what the base game does as her .cre file needs to have the file reference or be made to have it on the fly (during install which she will be likely to do). I have no idea of the correct dimensions ... as I look at the original picture and the dimension figures go close to 90x130(or it could be 169x266 divided by 2 = 84.5 x 133), the picture was take within 1920x1200 game as a screen shot, so who knows. Maybe the m pictures are 169x266 in a 4k screen(which is actually 3860x2160).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:40:01 AM by The Imp »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 05:12:58 AM »
Um, now I'm a little lost. Is there correct info for NPC portraits for IWDEE? A tutorial by Cam, maybe?

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
Portrait sizes are mentioned in the EE conversion tutorial, yes. The creature files don't need to be touched, it's just a matter of copying over the right BMPs.

While GAME_IS ~iwdee~ won't work until v237, you can reliably detect IWDEE with FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~howparty.2da~ in the mean time.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
Thank you!

Offline egbert

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't understand: did you try dual-classing Nella as a cleric(it's possible as soon as level 2), and did it work for you? And if it didn't seem a good idea, then why? I'd really like to know this.

I dual-classed Nella to a fighter/druid.
Everything she says Shows she is a druid (not a cleric).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »
I've added "A fighter can be dual-classed into a cleric or a druid, starting with level 2." to the very beginning of the readme just in case.
(And, naturally, the FAQ section already points out that Nella can be dual-classed into a cleric or a druid.)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: